The Special Adviser to the President on Justice Reform, Mrs Juliet Ibekaku-Nwagwu, says the Executive Order 8 signed by President Muhammadu Buhari will serve a death knell on money laundering.
Ibekaku-Nwagwu, who is the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) for Enugu West Senatorial Zone, said this in a statement in Enugu on Thursday.
She said that the bold step by the president needed to be commended by friends and citizens of the country as it had served quit notices to financial impropriety and tax evasion.
The presidential aide said the move was another clear indication that the president was determined to reposition the country on the path of sustainable recovery.
She urged the president to remain focused and steadfast in his efforts in spite of the activities of a few individuals that were short-changing the country.
“Mr President is very determined to reposition the country on the path of a sustainable economic recovery.
“He has displayed the determination and willingness, bearing in mind that those who have been short-changing the country will want to frustrate this effort,” she said.
Ibekaku-Nwagwu, who also manned the Open Government Partnership, said that outside accruable revenues from crude oil, revenue from taxes ought to be the second largest source of income to the country.
“Recall that Mr. President, in signing the order, noted that under Nigerian law, every citizen has the duty to declare their income and assets and pay taxes,” she said.
She, however, said that the sad reality was that efforts to recover taxes from defaulters through litigation were often frustrated.
“This is due to the complications caused by the change in the character and nature of such assets, insufficient financial intelligence, long delays in courts, among other reasons,” Ibekaku-Nwagwu said.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Why APC Sen. Shehu Sani defects
- Female Corper Flogged Mercilessly By School Principal
- Shehu Sani Dumps APC... Gives Reasons
- Five-Star Jovic makes Bundesliga history
- Real Madrid striker denies involvement in alleged kidnapping attempt in Paris
- Klopp draws Anthony Joshua comparison in criticism of Nations League
- Court rejects Russian footballers’ appeal over attack
- Ghana withdraws from CAF competitions
- See How Buhari’s Poor Performance Is Elevating Atiku
- Ekweremadu May Dump PDP?
- Woman Cries Bitterly After Being Scammed By Yahoo Boy
- Saudi Arabia admits missing journalist died in Consulate
- N8.86bn debt: Bank battles late billionaire’s family
- Tenis star Sharapova confirms romance with Prince william
- Alexis Sanchez at Man Utd is a typical Torres at Chelsea – Carragher
- Copa del’ Rey decisive fixtures
- EFCC Keeps Mum On Gov. Ganduje Bribe Video
- Atiku Meets Yoruba Leaders Over Top Political Offices
- PDP Warns INEC Against Receiving Unauthorized Names
- Confusion over Travel Ban List as Presidency, Security differ
- NAFDAC Searching For Drugs Made From Human Flesh
- EFCC stacks allegation, evidence against Fayose in court
- 900 retirees die waiting for pension
- Ooni Reveals Why He Married A Prophetess (Photos)
- Fayose Charged With Fraud By EFCC, Moved To Lagos
- Delta State University Graduate Climbs A Mast After Running Mad (Photo)
- I Don’t Know Bola Tinubu’s Position In APC – Obasanjo
- Windscreens Cracked As Hailstones Rain Down On Cars From The Sky In Abuja
- Minimum Wage: Ngge Says Labour Can't Dictate To Govt.
- Police Drags Adeleke To Court, Says "We're Not Aware Of Kemi Adeosun Forgery"
- N2.1bn Case: Face Dasuki, Not I - Dokpesi Tells Court
- Amosun Dares APC, Insists On Handing Over To His Candidate
- See Reactions To Nnamdi Kanu's Appearance In Jerusalem
- Photos Of VP Osinbajo Visiting Bayelsa Flood Victims
- Popular Actor Okon Lagos and His Beautiful Wife Celebrate 5th Wedding Anniversary
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- SFU exposes bank staffers, criminals forging ATM cards
- Splinter group emerges in APC
- 2019: Buhari remembers Jonathan, tells Kannywood his surprise
- Usain Bolt, Valletta contract goes south