The House of Representatives on Thursday resolved that Sergeants-at-arms in charge of security within the National Assembly complex should be armed.
The lawmakers, therefore, resolved that members of the security outfit should proceed for the arms training and that firearms should be procured for them to better secure the National Assembly.
The resolution was sequel to the adoption of the prayers in a motion of urgent national importance sponsored by Hon. Ossai Ossai (PDP– Delta) to guard against any future attempt to invade the National Assembly.
The lawmaker while arguing the motion said “it has become necessary to beef up NASS security because of increase of security threats.
“Arming Sergeants -at-arm is a universal standard practice.”
The lawmaker reminded his colleagues that on April the 18th, suspected thugs gained entrance into the Senate Chamber and snatched the the mace, the symbol of authority.
He also recounted that on August the 7th, masked and hooded armed security operatives from the Department of State Security (DSS), the Nigerian Police and other security agencies invaded the national assembly and stopped both lawmakers and workers from gaining entrance for hours.
He said those types of incidents made it imperative to arm the NASS Security outfit.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Why APC Sen. Shehu Sani defects
- Female Corper Flogged Mercilessly By School Principal
- Shehu Sani Dumps APC... Gives Reasons
- Five-Star Jovic makes Bundesliga history
- Real Madrid striker denies involvement in alleged kidnapping attempt in Paris
- Klopp draws Anthony Joshua comparison in criticism of Nations League
- Court rejects Russian footballers’ appeal over attack
- Ghana withdraws from CAF competitions
- See How Buhari’s Poor Performance Is Elevating Atiku
- Ekweremadu May Dump PDP?
- Woman Cries Bitterly After Being Scammed By Yahoo Boy
- Saudi Arabia admits missing journalist died in Consulate
- N8.86bn debt: Bank battles late billionaire’s family
- Tenis star Sharapova confirms romance with Prince william
- Alexis Sanchez at Man Utd is a typical Torres at Chelsea – Carragher
- Copa del’ Rey decisive fixtures
- EFCC Keeps Mum On Gov. Ganduje Bribe Video
- Atiku Meets Yoruba Leaders Over Top Political Offices
- PDP Warns INEC Against Receiving Unauthorized Names
- Confusion over Travel Ban List as Presidency, Security differ
- NAFDAC Searching For Drugs Made From Human Flesh
- EFCC stacks allegation, evidence against Fayose in court
- 900 retirees die waiting for pension
- Ooni Reveals Why He Married A Prophetess (Photos)
- Fayose Charged With Fraud By EFCC, Moved To Lagos
- Delta State University Graduate Climbs A Mast After Running Mad (Photo)
- I Don’t Know Bola Tinubu’s Position In APC – Obasanjo
- Windscreens Cracked As Hailstones Rain Down On Cars From The Sky In Abuja
- Minimum Wage: Ngge Says Labour Can't Dictate To Govt.
- Police Drags Adeleke To Court, Says "We're Not Aware Of Kemi Adeosun Forgery"
- N2.1bn Case: Face Dasuki, Not I - Dokpesi Tells Court
- Amosun Dares APC, Insists On Handing Over To His Candidate
- See Reactions To Nnamdi Kanu's Appearance In Jerusalem
- Photos Of VP Osinbajo Visiting Bayelsa Flood Victims
- Popular Actor Okon Lagos and His Beautiful Wife Celebrate 5th Wedding Anniversary
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- SFU exposes bank staffers, criminals forging ATM cards
- Splinter group emerges in APC
- 2019: Buhari remembers Jonathan, tells Kannywood his surprise
- Usain Bolt, Valletta contract goes south