Abuja – Prof. Titus Ibekwe, the National Secretary of the Otorhinolaryngological Society of Nigeria, has been elected Vice-Chairman of the International Advisory Board (IAB) of the American Academy of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery Foundation (AAOHNSF).
Ibekwe was elected at the ongoing World Congress of the AAOHNSF in Georgia, Atlanta and he becomes the first Nigerian to be elected into IAB since the inception of the academy 122 years ago.
Ibekwe, who is currently the Head of Department, Otorhinolaryngology (ENT, Head and Neck) University of Abuja and University of Abuja Teaching Hospital, Member-Board of the University College Hospital (UCH) Ibadan, is also a member of the Governing Board of the Academy.
Otorhinolaryngology is a surgical sub-specialty within medicine that deals with conditions of the ear, nose and throat (ENT) and related structures of the head and neck.
Speaking in a telephone interview with NAN he stated that Nigeria is being represented for the first time at the American Academy of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Foundation (AAOHNSF) Board of Directors since its inception 122 years ago.
“This is the first time a black African is elected into the board of the academy. So it is a great honour and accolade for the country and Africa,” he said
The election, according to him, featured more than 70 member countries of the association.
The ENT surgeon explained that the board serves as an avenue of communication between AAOHNSF membership and International otolaryngology-head and neck surgery organisations/societies worldwide.
Ibekwe noted that this would further and solidify a shared global commitment to excellence demonstrated by the members of the speciality.
According to him, the board also makes recommendations regarding the programmes and policies of the AAOHNSF that foster a global otolaryngology communication and promote the highest standards in clinical care through communications, education, research and collaboration.
“IAB strengthens and enhances information exchange among all ENT societies and the AAOHNSF. It also supports the general good of patients, speciality and the medical profession,” he explained. (NAN)
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- 2019: APC should make up its mind on the lie to tell Nigerians – PDP
- 2019: Igbo Leaders endorse Atiku for President
- Bribery scandal: Governor sues newspaper for N3bn
- EFCC seizes properties of Fayose, Diezani, others
- I crave more experience in NPFL —Cameronian coach
- Ehibam Griefshare Foundation partners with Edo state Rugby
- Icheen set for best Women’s Pro-League
- Paul Bassey harps on discipline, professionalism as Akwa United intensify pres-season training
- The most unsettling Tramadol import in years uncovered at Apapa
- Death in the flour: If amala is not your favourite, don’t read this
- How Lagos Police Inspector Killed Man, Stole 2 Sienna Buses
- Man Paints His Beautiful Wife-to-be In Cute Pre-Wedding Pic
- Nigerian Man Killed 24 Hours After Returning From London For Child’s Wedding
- DSS Asks Buhari To Prosecute Oshiomhole Over Dollars?
- Possibility Of Lagos-Abuja 45 Minutes Fast Train
- Jordi Alba: I have no bust up with Enrique
- MTN closes in on $800m Nigeria settlement
- Petroleum bill faces fresh hitch
- Nigerians spend over four hours on the Internet daily
- Fayemi demands refund of N21bn spent on federal roads
- Youth group task party stakeholders against alteration of mandate
- Maradona: Guardiola is just so lucky, Mourinho is way better
- Asensio: I can’t carry Madrid on my shoulders
- Mbappe gives honest opinion about PSG’s UCL ambitions
- Allison: I have to justify my price tag
- Commotion In Anambra House Of Assembly As Policemen Teargas Lawmaker, Others
- About 100 Buhari Campaign Buses Spotted In Lagos
- Atiku Reveals How He Plans To "Make Nigeria Work Again"
- Popular Channels TV Anchor, Maupe Ogun Gives Birth In US
- Comedienne Helen Paul Shows Her Beautiful Family
- What The DSS Report Revealed About Oshiomhole
- Yinka Ayefele's Music House Being Reconstructed By Govt.
- Police doles out millions to wives of slain officers
- Navy’s ex-account chief forfeits millions to EFCC
- Nwabueze, Atiku in emotional vapouring that could make APC jealous
- ZLP presidential candidate backs out, snatches senatorial ticket from member
- Water from the rot
- Married Man Taking Care Of Me Has Infected Me With HIV – Lagos Lady Cries Out
- Saraki Replies Oshiomhole: You Should Not Even Be Talking After "Collecting Dollars"
- TraderMoni A Trick For APC Vote-buying? Case Goes To Court