The Edo State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki, has lauded the performance of Edo State representative in the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation’s (NNPC) National Science Quiz Competition, Mr. Alikah Joseph Ehiagwina, for his impressive outing in the national competition and making the state proud.
The governor said that Ehiagwina’s feat is worth emulating as he rose through the various stages of the competition to emerge top three among his peers drawn from different parts of the country.
Ehiagwina, a student of Don Bosco Science Academy, Ukhun, clinched the third place at the National contest held at the Amphitheater in the NNPC Towers, Abuja, in the presence of former Heads of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon(retd.), Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar(retd.); Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Dr. Ibe Kachikwu, and Group Managing Director, NNPC, Dr. Maikanti Baru, among others. Okeke Tony Kabilan of Enugu State came first, while Igban Emmanuel from Ogun State took the second spot.
Obaseki noted that the performance is a testament to the indomitable spirit of Edo people, and the unrelenting commitment to learning and personal development, which the state is famed for.
According to him, “I congratulate Alikah Ehiagwina for putting a good showing in the NNPC National Science Quiz competition, in which he emerged third after a keenly contested final. He was dogged, determined and proved to be a true champion with an excellent display of sportsmanship and intellect.
“His performance goes to show the true spirit of the Edo man: a detailed, confident and undeterred soul, always searching for knowledge and applying same for personal and national development.”
He said that aside the prizes won by Ehiagwina, the state government has prepared a special package for him to serve as a motivation for him as well as to other young people in the state to strive for excellence in whatever noble endeavor they engage in.
“In Edo today, we need more role models for millions of youths who need to aspire for greatness. So when we have the likes of Ehiagwina making us proud, it is only rational to give him the extra boost,” he added.
Ehiagwina, who is the state champion, emerged third in the national contest after scoring 65 points behind his Ogun counterpart, with whom he locked horns for the second spot with 65 points apiece at the expiration of regular time.
Starting from the state level, the competition moves to the zonal level where a zonal winner emerges from the six geo-political zones, after which winners from the six zones then compete at the grand finale for the top three spots.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- PDP in Ekiti condemns public hearing on the finances of local governments
- Saraki condemns use of security agents to disenfranchised voters
- FG files charges against permanent secretary, director over alleged land fraud
- Bad luck for APC as Kastina Rep member dumps party for PDP
- Kante: I don’t want attention on my personality
- Barca to equal Bayern’s UCL record with win against Spurs
- De Jong denies PSG’s contract agreement
- Abdidal to meet Dembele over disciplinary issues
- Cavani’s PSG future uncertain
- Klopp evolved at Liverpool says Carragher
- Lady Shows Her Family Living With HIV... what they take daily
- See What Teacher Did To A Student In Lagos Over Minor Offence
- After 33yrs Of Marriage Woman Gives Birth For The First Time ...she delivered triplets
- Properties Worth N1.8bn Forfeited To FG By Corrupt Ex-NDDC Director (Photos)
- Akwa Ibom APC records highest mass defection in years
- Corruption: EFCC drags NBA president to court
- 2019: Buhari Boasts to Defeat Atiku, Obj Roundly
- Oppression, hate speech are two different things — Oyedepo
- What Mavin wants for Bank Music as Reekado go solo
- How divorce made Asamoah Gyan a poor man
- Buhari desperate to retain power, says Ezekwesili
- 22 Arrested Yahoo Boys Have Been Jailed
- Why The Man In Aso Rock Is Not Buhari We Voted For – Ex-APC Spokesperson, Abdullahi
- 52yrs Old Woman Celebrates Birthday In Style After Giving Birth For The First Time (Photos)
- Robbers Who Attacked Female Lecturer Finally Arrested
- Obasanjo's Support Won't Save Atiku From Defeat - Presidency
- Deadly Cult Clash In Lagos; Seven Killed, Many Injured
- Seriously? Senate pays Dariye N85.5m allowances in prison
- Shock As Kidnappers Tie Lecturer To Tree, Shot Him Dead Over Delay In Paying Ransom
- Buhari Regretting That Obasanjo Has Dumped Him, says PDP
- Assistant Pastor Defiles Church Member’s Twin Daughters In Lagos (Photo)
- Oby Ezekwesili threatens to lead protest over electoral bill
- Buhari: Why I Defeated Goodluck Jonathan In 2015
- "Politicians Now Insert Money Inside Sandwich To Buy Votes"
- See How Fraudsters Scammed Shop Owner While Buying N110,000 Phone In Abuja (Photos)
- Reasons Senate, Reps Should Override Buhari On Electoral Act; by Olisa Agbakoba
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- I’m dumping Enyimba for Katsina United —-Ezenwa
- Difficult match but we came out victorious– Alex Iwobi