The Edo State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki, has lauded the performance of Edo State representative in the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation’s (NNPC) National Science Quiz Competition, Mr. Alikah Joseph Ehiagwina, for his impressive outing in the national competition and making the state proud.
The governor said that Ehiagwina’s feat is worth emulating as he rose through the various stages of the competition to emerge top three among his peers drawn from different parts of the country.
Ehiagwina, a student of Don Bosco Science Academy, Ukhun, clinched the third place at the National contest held at the Amphitheater in the NNPC Towers, Abuja, in the presence of former Heads of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon(retd.), Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar(retd.); Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Dr. Ibe Kachikwu, and Group Managing Director, NNPC, Dr. Maikanti Baru, among others. Okeke Tony Kabilan of Enugu State came first, while Igban Emmanuel from Ogun State took the second spot.
Obaseki noted that the performance is a testament to the indomitable spirit of Edo people, and the unrelenting commitment to learning and personal development, which the state is famed for.
According to him, “I congratulate Alikah Ehiagwina for putting a good showing in the NNPC National Science Quiz competition, in which he emerged third after a keenly contested final. He was dogged, determined and proved to be a true champion with an excellent display of sportsmanship and intellect.
“His performance goes to show the true spirit of the Edo man: a detailed, confident and undeterred soul, always searching for knowledge and applying same for personal and national development.”
He said that aside the prizes won by Ehiagwina, the state government has prepared a special package for him to serve as a motivation for him as well as to other young people in the state to strive for excellence in whatever noble endeavor they engage in.
“In Edo today, we need more role models for millions of youths who need to aspire for greatness. So when we have the likes of Ehiagwina making us proud, it is only rational to give him the extra boost,” he added.
Ehiagwina, who is the state champion, emerged third in the national contest after scoring 65 points behind his Ogun counterpart, with whom he locked horns for the second spot with 65 points apiece at the expiration of regular time.
Starting from the state level, the competition moves to the zonal level where a zonal winner emerges from the six geo-political zones, after which winners from the six zones then compete at the grand finale for the top three spots.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Why APC Sen. Shehu Sani defects
- Female Corper Flogged Mercilessly By School Principal
- Shehu Sani Dumps APC... Gives Reasons
- Five-Star Jovic makes Bundesliga history
- Real Madrid striker denies involvement in alleged kidnapping attempt in Paris
- Klopp draws Anthony Joshua comparison in criticism of Nations League
- Court rejects Russian footballers’ appeal over attack
- Ghana withdraws from CAF competitions
- See How Buhari’s Poor Performance Is Elevating Atiku
- Ekweremadu May Dump PDP?
- Woman Cries Bitterly After Being Scammed By Yahoo Boy
- Saudi Arabia admits missing journalist died in Consulate
- N8.86bn debt: Bank battles late billionaire’s family
- Tenis star Sharapova confirms romance with Prince william
- Alexis Sanchez at Man Utd is a typical Torres at Chelsea – Carragher
- Copa del’ Rey decisive fixtures
- EFCC Keeps Mum On Gov. Ganduje Bribe Video
- Atiku Meets Yoruba Leaders Over Top Political Offices
- PDP Warns INEC Against Receiving Unauthorized Names
- Confusion over Travel Ban List as Presidency, Security differ
- NAFDAC Searching For Drugs Made From Human Flesh
- EFCC stacks allegation, evidence against Fayose in court
- 900 retirees die waiting for pension
- Ooni Reveals Why He Married A Prophetess (Photos)
- Fayose Charged With Fraud By EFCC, Moved To Lagos
- Delta State University Graduate Climbs A Mast After Running Mad (Photo)
- I Don’t Know Bola Tinubu’s Position In APC – Obasanjo
- Windscreens Cracked As Hailstones Rain Down On Cars From The Sky In Abuja
- Minimum Wage: Ngge Says Labour Can't Dictate To Govt.
- Police Drags Adeleke To Court, Says "We're Not Aware Of Kemi Adeosun Forgery"
- N2.1bn Case: Face Dasuki, Not I - Dokpesi Tells Court
- Amosun Dares APC, Insists On Handing Over To His Candidate
- See Reactions To Nnamdi Kanu's Appearance In Jerusalem
- Photos Of VP Osinbajo Visiting Bayelsa Flood Victims
- Popular Actor Okon Lagos and His Beautiful Wife Celebrate 5th Wedding Anniversary
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- SFU exposes bank staffers, criminals forging ATM cards
- Splinter group emerges in APC
- 2019: Buhari remembers Jonathan, tells Kannywood his surprise
- Usain Bolt, Valletta contract goes south