Residents of Florida Panhandle to central Georgia in the U.S. have heaved a sigh of relieve as Hurricane Michael downgraded early Thursday to a tropical storm after leaving a trail of destruction including at least two deaths.
An unidentified man in the Florida Panhandle was killed by a fallen tree when it ripped through his home’s roof, a spokeswoman for the Gadsden County Sheriff’s Office told Fox News.
Fox News also confirmed that an 11-year-old girl in Seminole County, Georgia, was killed Wednesday afternoon when thrashing winds sent a car or boat port airborne onto the family’s mobile home.
The girl, whose identity has not been released, was hit by the structure as it tore through the home’s roof.
Authorities told WMAZ-TV that first responders didn’t reach the home until after nightfall due to downed trees and power lines blocking their way.
Search and rescue crews were expected to escalate efforts to reach hardest-hit areas and check for anyone trapped or injured in the storm debris.
Florida Governor Rick Scott said crews were working on clearing roads so that first responders could reach those impacted by the storm.
The powerful storm made landfall as a Category 4 hurricane Wednesday afternoon and ripped through the Florida Panhandle with 155 mph winds and 12-foot waves.
Rick Reichmuth, Fox News’ chief meteorologist said Michael was the fourth most powerful storm to ever make landfall in the U.S. in terms of wind, and the third most powerful in terms of pressure, at 919 mb.
Across the Panhandle, roaring winds splintered trees and rooftops. Neighborhood streets flooded as waves battered the shoreline.
Damage in Panama City was so extensive that broken and uprooted trees and downed power lines lay nearly everywhere.
Roofs were peeled away, sent airborne, and homes were split open by fallen trees, while twisted street signs lay on the ground.
More than 380,000 homes and businesses in Florida were without power at the height of the storm.
Georgia Power reported that over 170,000 customers lost power as Michael swept across the state, WGXA-TV reported.
Meanwhile, Michael continues its track across southern Georgia toward the Carolinas, still reeling from flooding by last month’s Hurricane Florence.
The storm, which has sustained winds of 60 mph, was about 25 miles east of Macon, Georgia, the National Hurricane Center said in a 2 a.m. ET advisory.
Michael is forecast to move off the Mid-Atlantic coast by early Friday, the NHC said.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- HFN to seek partnership with other African countries at CAH Congress
- NFF holds 74th annual General Assembly in Asaba
- The 10 best centre backs in the World based on last season’s form.
- Abia Warriors elevate Adenrele to head team
- NFF Corruption Case: 3 staffers released on bail, banned from traveling abroad
- Ex-Super Eagles Cassidy dies at 50
- Heartland FC returns Coach Madu
- 16 teams for 2018 National Volleyball Premier League
- Sen. Shehu Sani joins new party
- Atiku Spotted At 2019 Presidency Strategic Meeting
- Shehu Sani Joins New Party After Dumping APC
- Beautiful Cars of Popular "Silent" Comic Actor Mr. Bean
- Buhari and Ambode At The ECOWAS Border Post (Photos)
- Scam Uncovered In Federal Civil Service Commission Abuja
- Oshiomhole Begs Court: Reject Suit Seeking To Probe Me For Corruption
- $8.1bn scandal: CBN working with MTN to resolve crisis- Minister
- Saraki's Candidate for Kwara, Razak Atunwa Reacts To NYSC Certificate "Forgery" Saga
- Good Man Beaten To Death While Trying To Stop Hoodlum From R*ping A Woman
- Presidency In Panic Over Mass Defections of APC Men In Kano
- PHOTO: 9 Die In Fatal Accident On Lagos/Ibadan Expressway
- Female Corper Gets Apology From Principal Who Flogged Her; he says it was just anger
- Abuja Rail Can't Speed Above 90km/hr Because We Don't Want To Kill Cows - Amaechi
- Jonathan Invites Buhari, Obasanjo, Atiku To Launch
- Man Turns Neighbour’s 16-Year-Old Daughter To S*x Slave
- APC Lied, We Didn’t Take Zamfara List From Them – INEC
- TEARS! Mother & Her 2 Kids, Others Perish In Terrible Accident
- Pjanic: CR7 learned simplicity from scholes
- Hamilton’s fifth title on hold as Raikkonen shocks star to victory
- Chelsea player’s must must ease burden on hazard, Willian admits
- Good Luck to Real & Barca in signing Neymar – Marquinhos
- Sarri: Chelsea Fans must respect Mourinho
- Isco: We can’t cry over Cristiano
- Barcelona President: Neymar is not welcomed
- Iniesta leaves NIKE, signs with ASCIS
- Ranked! Top 10 EPL goalkeeper’s
- Federer reveals long-standing hand injury
- Blood Flows As Fight Breaks Out At A Popular Nigerian Bar In Ghana (Graphic Photos)
- DSS Breaks Silence On Nnamdi Kanu's Escape
- Buhari's Friend & DG of VON, Osita Okechukwu hits Oshiomhole