IGP Idris blows hot as police commission plans to demote Jimoh Moshood, Abba Kyari, over 1,000 others
– The inspector general of police has written to the Police Service Commission over the latter’s planned demotion of about 1,500 policemen
– The police spokesman, acting DCP Jimoh Moshood, is part of those the commission is planning to demote
– The affected officers benefitted from the special promotion exercise carried out by the IGP
The inspector general of police, Ibrahim Idris, has expressed displeasure over moves by the Police Service Commission to demote about 1,500 policemen who benefitted from the special promotion exercise carried out by him.
Punch reports that among those pencilled down for demotion is the police spokesman, acting DCP Jimoh Moshood, and an officer of the Intelligence Response Team, DCP Abba Kyari.
NAIJ.com gathers that the IG on September 23, 2018, wrote to the commission questioning its powers to reverse the promotion of the men.
In the letter addressed to the PSC chairman, Musiliu Smith, the IG expressed his displeasure over the planned demotion, adding that it was discriminatory. According to the IG, the commission arbitrarily selected officers to be demoted.
He said the commission lacked power to review the promotions, adding that the planned demotion of the affected officers could lead to multiple litigations.
Responding to the IG, Smith said the commission’s powers of appointment, promotion and discipline are captured in Section 6 of the Police Service Commission (Establishment) Act No 1 of 2001. According to Smith, the PSC has the overall supervisory function over the Nigeria Police Force.
The IGP was told that his appointments and postings of commissioners of police infringed and contradicted Section 6 of the PSC Act which says: “The commission shall be responsible for the appointment and promotion of persons to offices (other than the office of the IG) in the NPF.”
The commission registered its displeasure on large scale special promotion without following due process. It said: “The police rules and regulations established the fact that all unconfirmed Inspectors and Assistant Superintendents of Police must be made to sit for and pass the mandatory confirmation examinations.
“Never in the history of the force have special promotions been this cheapened and trivialised. It will be difficult to explain a situation where senior officers without any pending disciplinary matters are skipped perpetually while junior officers will be receiving double promotions within very short intervals.”
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported the Plateau state commissioner of police (CP), Undie Adie, was removed from his position with immediate effect following an order from the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Ibrahim Idris.
Adie’s removal was announced in a statement by the spokesperson for the Plateau state police command, Matthias Tyopev.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- We Will Not Allow Saraki Humiliate Buhari On Electoral Bill - APC Senators Vow
- Trouble: Oil Marketers To Shut Down All Loading Operations By Midnight
- Akpabio: I Brought Emmanuel Udom From Lagos & Made Him Governor
- See What Armed Robbers Did To This Lady In A Bus (Photos)
- 2019: Obasanjo Slams Buhari
- "I Don't Care What People Who Buy My Guns Do With It"
- Saraki To PDP Supporters: Don’t Be Afraid Of Federal Might
- Why I Won't Resign Over EFCC Case - NBA President
- Jubilation As Police Finally Nab Notorious Cult Leader
- PDP Will Never Come Back To Aso Rock, says Osinbajo
- Shock As Newly Married Lady Falls To Her Death While Taking Special Photo
- Muslim Woman Donates Wrappers To Christian Widows For Christmas Celebration
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- NFF fails to promote NNL clubs that made me resigned —Olopade
- NSF: Charity Izevbokun wins first Gold For Edo — Kehinde Osagiede
- We will strive to raise the bar as the best tournament in Nigeria – Inuwa.
- We will prepare hard and take our chances – Dennerby
- Team Anambra target is ten gold medals —- Emeka Egbutu
- WAFU Cup: Flying Eagles up against Junior Mena
- FG, Abia sign definitive agreements Enyimba Economic City
- FRSC worries about Kaduna-Abuja roads
- 2019: Obasanjo insists he wants Buhari out
- South Africa, Cameroon not downcast
- Only A Fool Will Be Neutral When Nigeria Suffer Incompetence & Nepotism – Obasanjo
- Court May Compel Buhari To Investigate Ganduje's Dollar Bribe
- Electoral Amendment: Majority leader backs Buhari
- Northern Leaders Withdraw Support for Buhari over Revelation by his wife, Aisha?
- Police Beat Up Popular Actor Gideon Okeke In Lagos (Photos)
- Man Disgraced As He Was Caught Trying To Steal Ladies' Pant For Money Ritual in Delta
- FG states resolve on INEC’s security
- Super Falcons to know World Cup foes
- Beach Soccer AFCON: Supersand Eagles tackle Senegal
- Father Mbaka ‘Escapes’ Assassination
- Atiku As 2019 Consensus Candidate: PDP Moves To Get Other Parties' Support
- David De Gea is ranked best goalkeeper
- 19th NSF games schedule for Saturday as 23 events go down today
- Team Anambra should stay together to win —-Tony Oli
- NAPF President, Babaginda bails out ailing former Footballer
- Salah sets Liverpool record
- Women’s World Cup draw pits England against Scotland