IGP Idris blows hot as police commission plans to demote Jimoh Moshood, Abba Kyari, over 1,000 others
– The inspector general of police has written to the Police Service Commission over the latter’s planned demotion of about 1,500 policemen
– The police spokesman, acting DCP Jimoh Moshood, is part of those the commission is planning to demote
– The affected officers benefitted from the special promotion exercise carried out by the IGP
The inspector general of police, Ibrahim Idris, has expressed displeasure over moves by the Police Service Commission to demote about 1,500 policemen who benefitted from the special promotion exercise carried out by him.
Punch reports that among those pencilled down for demotion is the police spokesman, acting DCP Jimoh Moshood, and an officer of the Intelligence Response Team, DCP Abba Kyari.
NAIJ.com gathers that the IG on September 23, 2018, wrote to the commission questioning its powers to reverse the promotion of the men.
In the letter addressed to the PSC chairman, Musiliu Smith, the IG expressed his displeasure over the planned demotion, adding that it was discriminatory. According to the IG, the commission arbitrarily selected officers to be demoted.
He said the commission lacked power to review the promotions, adding that the planned demotion of the affected officers could lead to multiple litigations.
Responding to the IG, Smith said the commission’s powers of appointment, promotion and discipline are captured in Section 6 of the Police Service Commission (Establishment) Act No 1 of 2001. According to Smith, the PSC has the overall supervisory function over the Nigeria Police Force.
The IGP was told that his appointments and postings of commissioners of police infringed and contradicted Section 6 of the PSC Act which says: “The commission shall be responsible for the appointment and promotion of persons to offices (other than the office of the IG) in the NPF.”
The commission registered its displeasure on large scale special promotion without following due process. It said: “The police rules and regulations established the fact that all unconfirmed Inspectors and Assistant Superintendents of Police must be made to sit for and pass the mandatory confirmation examinations.
“Never in the history of the force have special promotions been this cheapened and trivialised. It will be difficult to explain a situation where senior officers without any pending disciplinary matters are skipped perpetually while junior officers will be receiving double promotions within very short intervals.”
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported the Plateau state commissioner of police (CP), Undie Adie, was removed from his position with immediate effect following an order from the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Ibrahim Idris.
Adie’s removal was announced in a statement by the spokesperson for the Plateau state police command, Matthias Tyopev.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- HFN to seek partnership with other African countries at CAH Congress
- NFF holds 74th annual General Assembly in Asaba
- The 10 best centre backs in the World based on last season’s form.
- Abia Warriors elevate Adenrele to head team
- NFF Corruption Case: 3 staffers released on bail, banned from traveling abroad
- Ex-Super Eagles Cassidy dies at 50
- Heartland FC returns Coach Madu
- 16 teams for 2018 National Volleyball Premier League
- Sen. Shehu Sani joins new party
- Atiku Spotted At 2019 Presidency Strategic Meeting
- Shehu Sani Joins New Party After Dumping APC
- Beautiful Cars of Popular "Silent" Comic Actor Mr. Bean
- Buhari and Ambode At The ECOWAS Border Post (Photos)
- Scam Uncovered In Federal Civil Service Commission Abuja
- Oshiomhole Begs Court: Reject Suit Seeking To Probe Me For Corruption
- $8.1bn scandal: CBN working with MTN to resolve crisis- Minister
- Saraki's Candidate for Kwara, Razak Atunwa Reacts To NYSC Certificate "Forgery" Saga
- Good Man Beaten To Death While Trying To Stop Hoodlum From R*ping A Woman
- Presidency In Panic Over Mass Defections of APC Men In Kano
- PHOTO: 9 Die In Fatal Accident On Lagos/Ibadan Expressway
- Female Corper Gets Apology From Principal Who Flogged Her; he says it was just anger
- Abuja Rail Can't Speed Above 90km/hr Because We Don't Want To Kill Cows - Amaechi
- Jonathan Invites Buhari, Obasanjo, Atiku To Launch
- Man Turns Neighbour’s 16-Year-Old Daughter To S*x Slave
- APC Lied, We Didn’t Take Zamfara List From Them – INEC
- TEARS! Mother & Her 2 Kids, Others Perish In Terrible Accident
- Pjanic: CR7 learned simplicity from scholes
- Hamilton’s fifth title on hold as Raikkonen shocks star to victory
- Chelsea player’s must must ease burden on hazard, Willian admits
- Good Luck to Real & Barca in signing Neymar – Marquinhos
- Sarri: Chelsea Fans must respect Mourinho
- Isco: We can’t cry over Cristiano
- Barcelona President: Neymar is not welcomed
- Iniesta leaves NIKE, signs with ASCIS
- Ranked! Top 10 EPL goalkeeper’s
- Federer reveals long-standing hand injury
- Blood Flows As Fight Breaks Out At A Popular Nigerian Bar In Ghana (Graphic Photos)
- DSS Breaks Silence On Nnamdi Kanu's Escape
- Buhari's Friend & DG of VON, Osita Okechukwu hits Oshiomhole