By Onozure Dania
LAGOS—THE Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, yesterday arraigned two men, Chester Onyemaechi Ukandu and Achi George , before a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos, for allegedly claiming to be directors of Mainstreet Bank Registrars ltd.
The defendants who were arraigned before Justice Rilwan Mohammed Aikawa, are facing a two count charge bordering on false claim, preferred against them by the EFCC.
EFCC alleged that the defendants on or about February 14, 2017, they held themselves as the directors of Mainstreet Bank Registrars Limited vide a letter dated the same date and addressed to the Manager , Skye Bank Plc, Ilupeju branch Lagos, captioned “ Appointment of New Signatories to the account of Mainstreet Bank Registrars LTD.”
The commission said that the duo signed the said letter as the directors of Mainstreet Bank Registrars limited whilst they were not duly appointed.
They were also alleged to have held themselves as the Directors of Mainstreet Bank Registrars Limited vide a letter dated February 14, 2017 and addressed to the Director General Securities and Exchange Commission, Garki, Abuja and also captioned “Notification about the change in the board and management of Mainstreet Bank Registrars limited”, which letter they signed as the directors of Mainstreet Bank Registrars limited, whilst they were not duly appointed.
According to EFCC, the offences committed are contrary to section 244 (1) of the Companies and allied Matters Act, Cap C20, laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004 and punishable under section 244 (3) of the same act.
However the defendants both pleaded not guilty to the charge against them.
The EFCC prosecutor Ayokunle Fayanju, asked the court for a trial date and also to remand the defendants in prison custody.
Fanyanju said “In view of the pleas of the defendants, I humbly apply for a trial date and that the defendants should be remanded in prison custody. “
Meanwhile the lawyer to the defendants Samuel Ague urged the court to admit his clients to bail in the most liberal terms.
He told the court that he had just filed an application for bail dated November 21, 2017, and supported with a 22 paragraphs affidavit and a written address, to that effect, and urged the court to grant them bail because of their statues in the country.
Ague said that the first defendant, Ukandu, is a very well known person in the capital market and also a chairman of a Microfinance bank, and many other companies.
He also told stated that the second defendant, is a well respected and known citizen, adding that they will not jump bail if granted.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants