By Onozure Dania
LAGOS—THE Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, yesterday arraigned two men, Chester Onyemaechi Ukandu and Achi George , before a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos, for allegedly claiming to be directors of Mainstreet Bank Registrars ltd.
The defendants who were arraigned before Justice Rilwan Mohammed Aikawa, are facing a two count charge bordering on false claim, preferred against them by the EFCC.
EFCC alleged that the defendants on or about February 14, 2017, they held themselves as the directors of Mainstreet Bank Registrars Limited vide a letter dated the same date and addressed to the Manager , Skye Bank Plc, Ilupeju branch Lagos, captioned “ Appointment of New Signatories to the account of Mainstreet Bank Registrars LTD.”
The commission said that the duo signed the said letter as the directors of Mainstreet Bank Registrars limited whilst they were not duly appointed.
They were also alleged to have held themselves as the Directors of Mainstreet Bank Registrars Limited vide a letter dated February 14, 2017 and addressed to the Director General Securities and Exchange Commission, Garki, Abuja and also captioned “Notification about the change in the board and management of Mainstreet Bank Registrars limited”, which letter they signed as the directors of Mainstreet Bank Registrars limited, whilst they were not duly appointed.
According to EFCC, the offences committed are contrary to section 244 (1) of the Companies and allied Matters Act, Cap C20, laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004 and punishable under section 244 (3) of the same act.
However the defendants both pleaded not guilty to the charge against them.
The EFCC prosecutor Ayokunle Fayanju, asked the court for a trial date and also to remand the defendants in prison custody.
Fanyanju said “In view of the pleas of the defendants, I humbly apply for a trial date and that the defendants should be remanded in prison custody. “
Meanwhile the lawyer to the defendants Samuel Ague urged the court to admit his clients to bail in the most liberal terms.
He told the court that he had just filed an application for bail dated November 21, 2017, and supported with a 22 paragraphs affidavit and a written address, to that effect, and urged the court to grant them bail because of their statues in the country.
Ague said that the first defendant, Ukandu, is a very well known person in the capital market and also a chairman of a Microfinance bank, and many other companies.
He also told stated that the second defendant, is a well respected and known citizen, adding that they will not jump bail if granted.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- 2019: PDP at crossroads
- Nigeria envoy wants citizens banned from Saudi Arabia
- Nigeria’s economy still struggling, says expert
- House deputy Speaker fumes, states position on defection from APC
- Yinka Ayefele’s FM Continues Broadcasting Despite Demolition
- See How A Female Soldier Brutalize Her Househelp In Lagos
- FIFA Ban : Who can save Nigeria from herself ?
- Oyo state government demolishes Yinka Ayefele’s radio station
- FCMB staff abscond with N500m customers’ deposits
- Buhari writes to NASS, threatens to jail anybody found corrupt
- Buhari’s Kinsmen Pressurising Him To Reinstate Sacked Daura — Junaid Mohammed
- Police Headquarters To Conduct Psychiatric Test On SARS
- Craziest thing I’ve done was slapping my father – Femi Adebayo
- Killer Herdsmen Engage Soldiers In Heavy Shoot Out
- PHOTOS: Yinka Ayefele's Building Demolished By Oyo Government
- Okorocha Facing Tough Times In Bid For His Son-in-Law
- I am not happy taking key players to foreign clubs –Coach Boboye
- I want NPFL to kick off —Coach Fidelis
- Kada City James Joseph, 3 others jet out for trials in Dubai, Turkey
- Club owners , others storm Imo for Heartland FC boss
- Wilder ready for Fury this year
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Top Tips For Pregnant Travellers
- Female Presidential aspirant, Eunice Atuejide suspended by party over "corruption"
- Nigerian Who Escaped Death Penalty In Malaysia, Re-Arrested
- Sad Tales Of Delta Schoolgirls Lured Into Pros-titution In Lagos
- Buhari Returns To Aso Rock, Moves To Take Action On Daura
- Where there are women, there will be evil – Actress Liz Anjorin
- Saraki, Dogara Plan Joint Session To Avert Impeachment?
- Tears Of Nigerian Journalists: The Gory Tales Under Buhari
- NRA promotion exam holds
- Ronaldo doesn’t guarantee Juventus the title, warns Allegri
- Kofi Anan dies in Switzerland
- NAFRC commandant pulled out from service
- Osun: Parties left out of ballot paper, INEC explains
- Nigeria loses N126.2Bn on abandoned FG properties in Lagos – Unilag Don
- Relatives protest as rescue efforts end at collapsed Abuja building
- Saraki, Ahmed under fire as EFCC tightens noose
- Your ambition a pipe dream, BMO tells Tambuwal
- Why 2019 elections may be delayed