The All Progressives Congress (APC) campaign council for the Osun governorship election has urged the party’s members in the areas where the state’s election rerun will be held on Thursday, September 27, to ignore the rantings of the Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) and turn out enmasse to vote for the ruling party.
In a statement released in Abuja by the chairman of its media committee, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the council said the threat by the PDP to challenge, in court, INEC’s declaration of last Saturday’s election as inconclusive is nothing but sheer bravado, especially as the opposition party is afraid of losing the rerun.
It said the PDP may also have contrived the court threat as a way of distracting the APC and its members ahead of the rerun, calling that distraction strategy dead on arrival.
“The PDP knows that the so-called court challenge which it has threatened to mount will not fly, especially because the highest court in the land has already pronounced on the issue of whether or not INEC has the powers to declare an election inconclusive
“The PDP is not unaware of the pronouncement of the Supreme Court in the case of James Abiodun Faleke Vs INEC and others, that INEC has the duty of conducting elections and that, besides the constitutional provisions, it is guided by the Electoral Act 2010 (as amended) and the Election Guidelines and Manual issued for its officials in accordance with the Act,” the council said.
It said that since the PDP had boasted that its candidate will win if the Osun governorship election is conducted over and over again, the party should stop being jittery and put its money where its mouth is by willingly participating in the rerun.
The council said, however, that if the PDP chooses to boycott Thursday’s rerun out of fear, the party’s right to do so will be respected.
“The PDP, after its failed mission to win Saturday’s election at all cost, is shopping for an illegal shortcut to victory by threatening a court action over an issue that has been settled. It’s a sheer waste of time.
“Let the PDP drop its pretension and get ready to be defeated in Thursday’s rerun. Alternatively, it can withdraw to save face,” the council said.
Meanwhile, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has described as irresponsible and baseless, the allegation that uncollected Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) were being released ahead of the Osun state governorship rerun election.
Rotimi Oyekanmi, chief press secretary to the INEC chairman, dismissed the allegation on Monday, September 24 in Abuja. Oyekanmi asked the Coalition of United Political Parties (CUPP), which made the allegation, to provide the proof.
Leave a comment
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Buhari is history – Agbakoba
- CCGG calls out FG over Leah sharibu abduction
- Buhari losing war against Boko Haram
- Atiku’s choice of VP: Peter Obi as a motivational metaphor
- Fake Mad Man Busted After He Received Alert Of N1.5Million
- Juventus considers new Mandzukvic deal
- FIFA 19: Usain bolt likely to be included in winter update
- Luis Enrique: There is no similarities between Spain, Barcelona
- Lukaku hints at future Serie A switch
- Pep: Messi, Ronaldo are phenomena
- Roberto Martinez: Hazard can lead any team
- Man Utd to make De gea the highest paid player in the team
- Morata: Money, fame can be a problem
- Joshua kimmich: Bad luck isn’t a coincidence in Germany’s failures
- National industrial court dismisses suit filed over Marilyn Ogar retirement
- Mother of Hauwa Liman: I Can't Believe My Daughter Is Dead
- APC Reacts To Governor Ganduje's $5m Bribe-taking Videos
- Fayose's Interrogation By Senior EFCC Officers Begins
- LAUTECH Students Protest, Shut Down School Over Fee Hike
- Presidency Reacts To Video Of Gov Ganduje 'Receiving' Bribe
- Nigeria Amputee Football Team In Ghastly Car Crash En-route Abuja For Visa (Photos)
- Speaker Dogara Declares Two Reps' Seats Vacant
- Tenure expiration: Fayose’s whereabouts remains unknown
- Nigeria’s inflation on the rise again
- CBN set to revamp banking regulations
- Young Nigerian Man Married To Elderly White Woman Dies Of Massive Heart Attack (Photo)
- Mama Rainbow Celebrates 76th Birthday With Lovely Photos
- Kayode Fayemi Sworn-in As New Governor Of Ekiti State
- Fayose Arrives EFCC Office In Style (Photo)
- Saudi Arabia to admit missing journalist was killed
- Evil Staff Kidnaps & Kills Boss Who Sacked Him For Stealing
- Atiku Reacts To Killing Of Hauwa Liman By Boko Haram
- Rich Nigerian Man & Friends Die In Fatal Accident At Night
- Beautiful Lady Working As A Mechanic Melts Hearts Online
- Presidency orders EFCC to detain Fayose indefinitely, says PDP
- Businessmen Arrested For 'Stealing' Spare Parts In Lagos
- Obasanjo Commended For Openly Endorsing Atiku
- 72 Afe Babalola Uni Students Graduate With First Class
- Atiku Appoints Saraki, Fayose, Wike To Head 2019 Campaign
- SP shoots dead ex-finance minister’s daughter; family suspects something else