John Obi Mikel
Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr and captain John Obi Mikel snubbed Cristiano Ronaldo and Mohamed Salah to cast their votes for eventual Best Fifa Men’s Player 2018 winner Luka Modric.
The Croatia midfielder claimed the prize at the awards gala held in London on Monday evening, edging his former Real Madrid teammate and holder Ronaldo and Liverpool’s Salah who ended second and third respectively.
Fifa released a list of the players each voter chose for the top individual gong in football which consisted of national team captains, national team coaches and a journalist from every territory that fields a side on the international level.
Rohr, as Nigeria coach, selected Modric – who scored in Croatia’s 2-0 win over the Super Eagles in their group opening game at this summer’s World Cup – in first place, Eden Hazard in second and France posterboy Kylian Mbappe in third.
As captain of the three-time African champions, Mikel continued with Lionel Messi in first place – after doing similar at the last awards, with Mbappe and Modric in second and third place.
Both Nigerian delegates ditched the holder of the award, Ronaldo and Egypt superstar Salah who netted 44 goals in his debut season at Liverpool and helped his country qualify for the World Cup after a 28-year absence.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- 52yrs Old Woman Celebrates Birthday In Style After Giving Birth For The First Time (Photos)
- Robbers Who Attacked Female Lecturer Finally Arrested
- Obasanjo's Support Won't Save Atiku From Defeat - Presidency
- Deadly Cult Clash In Lagos; Seven Killed, Many Injured
- Seriously? Senate pays Dariye N85.5m allowances in prison
- Shock As Kidnappers Tie Lecturer To Tree, Shot Him Dead Over Delay In Paying Ransom
- Buhari Regretting That Obasanjo Has Dumped Him, says PDP
- Assistant Pastor Defiles Church Member’s Twin Daughters In Lagos (Photo)
- Oby Ezekwesili threatens to lead protest over electoral bill
- Buhari: Why I Defeated Goodluck Jonathan In 2015
- "Politicians Now Insert Money Inside Sandwich To Buy Votes"
- See How Fraudsters Scammed Shop Owner While Buying N110,000 Phone In Abuja (Photos)
- Reasons Senate, Reps Should Override Buhari On Electoral Act; by Olisa Agbakoba
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- I’m dumping Enyimba for Katsina United —-Ezenwa
- Difficult match but we came out victorious– Alex Iwobi
- Flying Eagles will approach Junior Mena with all seriousness— Paul Aigbogun
- FIFA & France sign agreement on African Football
- Boko Haram: ICC accuses Nigerian security forces of war crimes
- Arrest of Atiku’s son, tales by mischief makers – EFCC
- 2019: Saraki Urges INEC, security agencies, stakeholders to ensure credible elections
- Nigeria’s infrastructure deficit to hit $878b by 2040 – SEC DG
- I thank Watford family for believing in me—–Isaac Success
- Palace ‘interested in signing Moses with Chelsea for £12m
- 19th NSF: Toriola Oshonaike crashed out of Table tennis mixed double
- I Weep For President Buhari, His Wife Has Cried Out Endlessly - Dele Momodu
- Check Out Emirates' 'Diamond-encrusted' Airplane Going Viral Online (Photos)
- Luiz keen on Chelsea’s stay
- Oil marketers dare FG, shut down depots
- Christianity under siege in China
- Oil marketers suspend strike, gives FG 5-day grace
- Banks spend N555bn in nine months for customers’ relations
- Govenor Amosun in urgent meeting with Buhari
- Access Bank bags CBN’s Award
- 2019 Election: Senate declares public hearing on vote-buying
- AMCON says asset management partners to help recover N740bn
- DMO enlists support of sub-national entities in managing Nigeria’s rising public debt
- Brilliant Nigerian Lady Abisoye Wins CNN Heroes Awards 2018
- Sharing Trader Moni Weeks To Election Is Vote Buying - Dogara
- EFCC Reveals Why They Raided Atiku's Sons Apartment