– The recent postponement of the resumption of the National Assembly (NASS) has continued to brew reactions from many Nigerians
– For instance, a group known as Women Arise for Change Initiative (WA) said that the postponement will delay preparations for the 2019 polls
– Also, KOWA Party, unsatisfied with the development, urged NASS to ensure that pressing national issues take precedence over their personal political ambitions
Some Nigerians have decried the latest postponement of the resumption date for the National Assembly (NASS) from Tuesday, September 25 to Tuesday October 9, saying it would delay Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)’s budget for 2019 general elections.
The clerk to the National Assembly (NASS), Mohammed Omolori, had on Sunday, September 23, announced that the National Assembly rescheduled resumption from its annual recess to Tuesday, October 9.
Omolori explained that the postponement was due to the activities of primary elections by political parties.
Joe Okei-Odumakin, the president of Women Arise for Change Initiative (WA), said the shift in date for NASS resumption might affect the preparation for the forthcoming general elections by the electoral body.
She urged the Executive arm and NASS to ensure speedy approval of INEC’s proposed budget for 2019 general elections by burying their differences in the overall interest of the nation.
“The postponement of the resumption, without doubt, will have its negative effects on the preparations by INEC towards the 2019 elections. And I can confidently say, that this will begin to unveil itself in the next few days.
“We must all understand clearly that most of the items captured by the INEC’s budget has to do with procurement of election materials, many of which are items not produced within our country, which may therefore experience some serious delays.
“This is why I want to restate the need for the executive to work closely with the National Assembly, in order to sort out areas of conflicts, and ensure a speedy approval of INEC’s budget as well as passage and assent to the pending Electoral Act, ” she said.
Okei-Odumakin urged the lawmakers to prioritise national interest while performing their statutory duties.
“As valid as the reason for the postponement of the National Assembly resumption may sound, the members must understand that the collective interest of Nigerians, majority of whom are not members of the political parties, must always take precedence over the partisan interests of our elected public officials.
“There should be limit to how far they must go in abandoning their job as servants to the citizens for their pursuit of ambitions. It is not too pleasant and the leadership of the National Assembly should urgently review this.
“There is nothing that prevents members of the NASS from participating in their political parties affairs, while at the same time performing their statutory duties,” she said.
Also, Abimbola Oyedokun, Lagos state chairman of KOWA Party, told newsmen that with six months to the general elections, INEC might not be able to prepare adequately without the approval of its proposed budget.
Oyedokun urged the National Assembly to ensure that pressing national issues take precedence over their personal political ambitions .
“It’s unfortunate that critical issues such as the funding of the general elections have been left unattended to up till this time. The National Assembly is within its rights to postpone resumption of plenary, whether because of party primaries or any other reason.
“It is, however, surprising that a government which controls both the executive and legislative arms of government has been unable to pass such critical legislation less than six months to the general elections.
“It is time for Nigerians to vote in capable legislators into the National Assembly instead of merely endorsing the options provided by the so-called large parties,” he said.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com reported that the Abundant Nigeria Renewal Party (ANRP) on Monday, September 24, described the NASS’ rescheduled resumption of plenary to Tuesday, October 9, as a show to their insensitivity to pressing national issues.
Sesugh Akume, the national spokesman of the party, expressed the viewpoint in an interview with some newsmen.
INEC Officer who tore election results confesses, says his Electoral Officer sent him | NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Notorious Robbers Busted After Successful Operation (Photos)
- PHOTOS: 102-Year-Old Woman Becomes Oldest Skydiver, Flies Down From The Sky On Birthday
- Exposed: Agency Headed By Buhari's In-law Violating Nigeria's Procurement Law
- Emotional Moment Oby Ezekwesili 'Bursts Into Tears' (Photos)
- Pretty Lady Who Just Graduated Goes Missing (Photos)
- I'm Not Desperate For Power - Buhari Speaks On Electoral Bill
- Popular Pastor Kidnapped In His Church Premises In Calabar
- Rivers APC Saga: Court Asked To Order INEC To Remove APC Candidates' Names
- EFCC Chairman: I'm Glad Senate Didn't Confirm Me, says Magu
- Protest in Lagos as F-SARS Officer kills truck driver over bribe
- Suspected Ritualists Abduct 13-day-old Baby While Mother Was Sleeping
- We Won't Go On Strike - PENGASSAN, NUPENG
- Woman Arrested For Pouring Hot Water On Pregnant Lady
- How Buhari's Veto On Electoral Bill Is Dividing Senators
- Touching Story Of Lady Shot Dead While Trying To Save Her Father From Assassins
- See Deteriorating State Of A Nigerian Magistrate Court (Photos)
- So Sad! Female Corper Reportedly Dies From Health Issues
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Young Lawyers Set To Wed Melt Hearts With Pre-wedding Pics
- Saraki attends launch of Trump’s Africa Strategy in US
- Flying Eagles turn back Ghana, reach WAFU Cup semi finals
- Who owns Nigeria football? The investor or the promoter? —Wale Ajayi
- Barewa to face Cowrie at Rugby President Cup final
- Arowolo quits 3SC for politics
- NRA ultimate goal is for Nigeria Referees to officiate at World Cup–Azeez
- Uche Okagbue becomes head coach of FC Ifeanyi Ubah
- Buhari wants teachers’ retirement age raised
- Brilliant Female Graduates Break 21-Year Record At Obafemi Awolowo University
- Donald Duke's Running Mate, Junaid Mohammed Quits
- Mother & 15yrs Old Daughter Sleeping With Ex-Commissioner... he has been arrested over the girl's pregnancies, abortions
- Dunamis Church Donates Relief Materials To IDPs
- PDP alleges plans by FG to cripple PDP-controlled states
- Senate Confirms Keyamo, other nominees for NDIC Board
- Environment Minister, Ibrahim Jubril Resigns
- Kogi legislator loses seat for defecting to PDP
- Ambode is my Politician of the Year – Shettima
- More troubles for Trump as court jails associate for fraud
- NB Plc to apologise over misleading information on product
- Husband, Wife, Mother-in-law Arraigned For Stealing N2.4m
- Ex-SGF Babachir In Aso Rock, 13 Months After Sack