It was gathered that the fracas began shortly after the IMN members rounded off their Ashura procession with prayers around 8:30 am near Central Hotel, Potiskum.
Abdulmaliki Sunmonu, the Yobe State Police Commissioner, who confirmed the incident to journalists said that three persons were injured during the clash.
He said that the JTF responded after the IMN members attempted to seize one of the security operatives’ rifle.
He said he was awaiting more details about the incident.
He said: “I will update you as soon as I get full details on the clash.”
El-Tafseer, a member of the IMN group, who spoke to journalists, said the police boss did not give the true reflection of what happened, he explained that they were attacked by the soldiers minutes after the Ashura procession had closed.
He said, “We just sighted the soldiers armed with guns and sticks approaching us. They started beating and harassing us to disperse.
“We began to run when they fired gunshots indiscriminately. Three people were injured and a teenager, not our member, was hit by a stray bullet in the head.
“He died in the hospital.
“They also arrested Malam Gambo Abbas and detained him.”
NAN was told that the indiscriminate gunshots threw the town into confusion with residents and passers-by scampering to safety.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- See How Buhari’s Poor Performance Is Elevating Atiku
- Ekweremadu May Dump PDP?
- Woman Cries Bitterly After Being Scammed By Yahoo Boy
- Saudi Arabia admits missing journalist died in Consulate
- N8.86bn debt: Bank battles late billionaire’s family
- Tenis star Sharapova confirms romance with Prince william
- Alexis Sanchez at Man Utd is a typical Torres at Chelsea – Carragher
- Copa del’ Rey decisive fixtures
- EFCC Keeps Mum On Gov. Ganduje Bribe Video
- Atiku Meets Yoruba Leaders Over Top Political Offices
- PDP Warns INEC Against Receiving Unauthorized Names
- Confusion over Travel Ban List as Presidency, Security differ
- NAFDAC Searching For Drugs Made From Human Flesh
- EFCC stacks allegation, evidence against Fayose in court
- 900 retirees die waiting for pension
- Ooni Reveals Why He Married A Prophetess (Photos)
- Fayose Charged With Fraud By EFCC, Moved To Lagos
- Delta State University Graduate Climbs A Mast After Running Mad (Photo)
- I Don’t Know Bola Tinubu’s Position In APC – Obasanjo
- Windscreens Cracked As Hailstones Rain Down On Cars From The Sky In Abuja
- Minimum Wage: Ngge Says Labour Can't Dictate To Govt.
- Police Drags Adeleke To Court, Says "We're Not Aware Of Kemi Adeosun Forgery"
- N2.1bn Case: Face Dasuki, Not I - Dokpesi Tells Court
- Amosun Dares APC, Insists On Handing Over To His Candidate
- See Reactions To Nnamdi Kanu's Appearance In Jerusalem
- Photos Of VP Osinbajo Visiting Bayelsa Flood Victims
- Popular Actor Okon Lagos and His Beautiful Wife Celebrate 5th Wedding Anniversary
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- SFU exposes bank staffers, criminals forging ATM cards
- Splinter group emerges in APC
- 2019: Buhari remembers Jonathan, tells Kannywood his surprise
- Usain Bolt, Valletta contract goes south
- Injured trio return to training for Liverpool
- Brazil to inject $1.1bn into Nigeria’s agriculture, says envoy
- Musa skips his game to sort out family matter
- Billikisu is NWPL referee of the week
- Uber announces new safety toolkit app for operators
- UBA posts all-time high gross earnings for Q3
- FG proposes N8.6trn for 2019, plans tighter fiscal plan
- Nollywood actor, Lawyer task Federal government on qualitative education