The Edo State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki has said his administration is committed to supporting people with special needs in the state, assuring that policies are being framed to accommodate their rights to express themselves, so they can lead better lives.
The governor, who said this in commemoration of the maiden International Day of Sign Languages marked by the United Nations this year, said that the state government has set up a committee to streamline the needs of people with disabilities with a view to ensuring their inclusion and participation in development.
According to him, “The committee we have set up is currently working to streamline the concerns of people with special needs and will eventually provide recommendations on adequate structures to enable them live life to the fullest.
“However, at the basic education level, we are remodeling the sub-sector to improve access for every child, which includes children with hearing disabilities.”
“On this day, it is imperative to reiterate the need for inclusion of people with special needs in policy design to allow society tap from their wealth of talents in driving development. At the same time, we recognise the need to promote sign language which will ensure that children with special needs pick up these essential skills to better function in society,” he added.
Obaseki said the theme for this year’s event, “With Sign Language, Everyone is Included!,” speaks to the need for inclusion, noting that reforms in basic education accommodates the peculiar needs of persons with special needs, which include people with hearing disabilities.
He added, “We will ensure that children with hearing disabilities who learn through sign languages have equal access to quality education and benefit from the Edo Basic Education Sector Transformation (Edo-BEST) programme.”
The governor decried the vandalisation of Schools for Persons with Special Needs, urging members of communities to do more in protecting public schools.
According to the World Federation of the Deaf, “there are approximately 72 million deaf people worldwide, with more than 80% of them living in developing countries.”
The United Nations (UN) describes sign languages as fully-fledged natural languages, which are structurally distinct from the spoken languages. The UN makes clear that sign languages are equal in status to spoken languages and obligates member states to facilitate the learning of sign language and promote the linguistic identity of the deaf community.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- LAUTECH Students Protest, Shut Down School Over Fee Hike
- Presidency Reacts To Video Of Gov Ganduje 'Receiving' Bribe
- Nigeria Amputee Football Team In Ghastly Car Crash En-route Abuja For Visa (Photos)
- Speaker Dogara Declares Two Reps' Seats Vacant
- Tenure expiration: Fayose’s whereabouts remains unknown
- Nigeria’s inflation on the rise again
- CBN set to revamp banking regulations
- Young Nigerian Man Married To Elderly White Woman Dies Of Massive Heart Attack (Photo)
- Mama Rainbow Celebrates 76th Birthday With Lovely Photos
- Kayode Fayemi Sworn-in As New Governor Of Ekiti State
- Fayose Arrives EFCC Office In Style (Photo)
- Saudi Arabia to admit missing journalist was killed
- Evil Staff Kidnaps & Kills Boss Who Sacked Him For Stealing
- Atiku Reacts To Killing Of Hauwa Liman By Boko Haram
- Rich Nigerian Man & Friends Die In Fatal Accident At Night
- Beautiful Lady Working As A Mechanic Melts Hearts Online
- Presidency orders EFCC to detain Fayose indefinitely, says PDP
- Businessmen Arrested For 'Stealing' Spare Parts In Lagos
- Obasanjo Commended For Openly Endorsing Atiku
- 72 Afe Babalola Uni Students Graduate With First Class
- Atiku Appoints Saraki, Fayose, Wike To Head 2019 Campaign
- SP shoots dead ex-finance minister’s daughter; family suspects something else
- “N230m bursary to 5,393 Ondo students—dividend of democracy”
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Police Saved Man's Life After Heath Challenge While Driving
- Woman Gives Birth While In A Coma, Wakes Up 23 Days After To See Baby In Her Arms (Photos)
- INEC Chairman Gives Update On APC Position In Zamfara
- So Boko Haram Finally Killed This Beautiful Lady?
- Fayose: I’m Storming EFCC Today With My Bedclothes, Bible...
- Man Kidnaps His Cheating Girlfriend’s Mother
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Dragged To Court By FG
- Dino Melaye Cries Out: My Life Is Under Threat
- APC Aspirants: Many Unpopular Candidates Will Affect Buhari
- Newlywed Killed 5 Days After Wedding While On Honeymoon With Wife (Photo)
- Buhari Is A Misfit, He Has To Leave In 2019 – Tambuwal
- Story Of Woman Who Suffered 35 Miscarriages In 7 Years
- Atiku Meets Jonathan To Strategize For 2019 Election (Photos)
- Married Woman Bites Off Landlord's Lips (Photo)
- “Fayose to be detained indefinitely”
- Ekiti State ready to hijack Gold Cup Tourney from Benue State