– The anti-graft agency says it is not in a hurry to release Anyim on self-recognizance
Pius Anyim, a former secretary to the government of the federation (SGF) has been told by the EFCC to return the N520m he allegedly collected from a former national security adviser, Sambo Dasuki or be prosecuted for money laundering.
The former SGF is currently in the custody of the anti-graft agency and may remain there until the investigation over the issue is concluded, the Punch reports.
A source at the EFCC who confirmed the allegations against Anyim, said the former SGF collected N520m from Dasuki on the eve of the presidential election in March, 2015.
“We have asked him to return the money. That is our primary goal. Let him tell us how he intends to pay back.,” the source said.
According to the source, the commission was not in a hurry to release Anyim on self-recognizance as he was known to shun invitations.
“Anyim had, in the past, shunned invitations by the National Assembly and even the EFCC. He is not the type to be granted unconditional bail,” the source stated.
Meanwhile, the immediate past first lady of Nigeria, Dame Patience Jonathan, has appealed to the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja to lift the temporary freezing of 16 bank accounts allegedly linked to her and some firms.
The Nation reports that the accounts, which have $5.8 million and N3.5 billion, are mostly located in some new generation banks.
The report said Mrs Jonathan’s request is part of a motion she filed before the court faulting the method adopted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in obtaining two ex-parte interim freezing orders on the accounts.
Does the recent sack of Babachir Lawal confirm Buhari’s fight against corruption? on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Buhari should apologise to Atiku – Sen. Shehu Sani
- Search of Atiku, an attack on Opposition – Peter Obi
- CBN, NDIC monitor investigation of Skye Bank directors
- 2019: INEC in dilemma over security risk in North East
- 2019: Human Rights Community sensitizes voters against vote buying
- 2019: How APC plot to hinder Atiku from moving funds – PDP
- Pretty Lady & Her Fiance Share Cute Pre-wedding Photos
- Saraki must vacant senate presidency, Oshiomhole insists
- I'll Avoid Trial Until FG Obeys My Bail Rulings - Ex-NSA Dasuki Tells Court
- See Popular Actor John Dumelo's Farm
- Buhari Attacks Kwankwaso, Accuses Him Of Diverting Kano Funds For Campaign
- Female Speaker Of Anambra Assembly Impeached
- 2019 Election: INEC, Police, civil society calls for peace
- LG is meant to be autonomous from the state – Obasanjo
- Okorocha engages Oshiomhole in crossfire
- Allegri: I hope to stay for a long time
- Messi: Anyone can get beaten
- Conte: Real Madrid’s job is not good for me
- Joachim Low: we want to return to wining ways
- 2019: Youths declared APC obituary in Akwa Ibom
- Panic as poisoned food flood Nigerian markets
- Akeredolu declares war on journalists, bans coverage of government activities
- See 13 things Bankyw said after he announced his political ambition
- Aremu Afolayan slams Buhari, Governor Ambode over inefficient airport staff
- Thierry Henry: Monaco must stay positive despite struggles
- Oil prices determined to stay within $80
- Suarez fight with Barca star after loss
- Hazard: World Cup heroics drained me
- Higuain’s brutal revenge on CR7 for Juventus exit turned sour
- Sergio Busquets’ classy message to Real Betis manager after Barcelona’s 4-3 loss
- Man Allegedly Commits Suicide After Losing Church Money
- Police Arrest Four 'One Chance' Suspects, Female Underwear Found On Them
- Identical Twins Graduate With First Class From University Of Ibadan (Photos)
- 2019: Akwa Ibom Govt accuses EFCC of working for APC
- Fashola renders account of three years stewardship
- 2019: Peter Obi warns El-Rufai to stop Hate Speech
- Am fighting for state police – Osinbajo
- How N5m gift from a Facebook ‘Good Samaritan’ took me to jail
- 4 reasons women prefer these pot-belly-men to regular 6-pack-men
- Nigeria’s greatest problem is corruption, not restructuring- Osinbajo