– The anti-graft agency says it is not in a hurry to release Anyim on self-recognizance
Pius Anyim, a former secretary to the government of the federation (SGF) has been told by the EFCC to return the N520m he allegedly collected from a former national security adviser, Sambo Dasuki or be prosecuted for money laundering.
The former SGF is currently in the custody of the anti-graft agency and may remain there until the investigation over the issue is concluded, the Punch reports.
A source at the EFCC who confirmed the allegations against Anyim, said the former SGF collected N520m from Dasuki on the eve of the presidential election in March, 2015.
“We have asked him to return the money. That is our primary goal. Let him tell us how he intends to pay back.,” the source said.
According to the source, the commission was not in a hurry to release Anyim on self-recognizance as he was known to shun invitations.
“Anyim had, in the past, shunned invitations by the National Assembly and even the EFCC. He is not the type to be granted unconditional bail,” the source stated.
Meanwhile, the immediate past first lady of Nigeria, Dame Patience Jonathan, has appealed to the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja to lift the temporary freezing of 16 bank accounts allegedly linked to her and some firms.
The Nation reports that the accounts, which have $5.8 million and N3.5 billion, are mostly located in some new generation banks.
The report said Mrs Jonathan’s request is part of a motion she filed before the court faulting the method adopted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in obtaining two ex-parte interim freezing orders on the accounts.
Does the recent sack of Babachir Lawal confirm Buhari’s fight against corruption? on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants