– The anti-graft agency says it is not in a hurry to release Anyim on self-recognizance
Pius Anyim, a former secretary to the government of the federation (SGF) has been told by the EFCC to return the N520m he allegedly collected from a former national security adviser, Sambo Dasuki or be prosecuted for money laundering.
The former SGF is currently in the custody of the anti-graft agency and may remain there until the investigation over the issue is concluded, the Punch reports.
A source at the EFCC who confirmed the allegations against Anyim, said the former SGF collected N520m from Dasuki on the eve of the presidential election in March, 2015.
“We have asked him to return the money. That is our primary goal. Let him tell us how he intends to pay back.,” the source said.
According to the source, the commission was not in a hurry to release Anyim on self-recognizance as he was known to shun invitations.
“Anyim had, in the past, shunned invitations by the National Assembly and even the EFCC. He is not the type to be granted unconditional bail,” the source stated.
Meanwhile, the immediate past first lady of Nigeria, Dame Patience Jonathan, has appealed to the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja to lift the temporary freezing of 16 bank accounts allegedly linked to her and some firms.
The Nation reports that the accounts, which have $5.8 million and N3.5 billion, are mostly located in some new generation banks.
The report said Mrs Jonathan’s request is part of a motion she filed before the court faulting the method adopted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in obtaining two ex-parte interim freezing orders on the accounts.
Does the recent sack of Babachir Lawal confirm Buhari’s fight against corruption? on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- 2019: PDP at crossroads
- Nigeria envoy wants citizens banned from Saudi Arabia
- Nigeria’s economy still struggling, says expert
- House deputy Speaker fumes, states position on defection from APC
- Yinka Ayefele’s FM Continues Broadcasting Despite Demolition
- See How A Female Soldier Brutalize Her Househelp In Lagos
- FIFA Ban : Who can save Nigeria from herself ?
- Oyo state government demolishes Yinka Ayefele’s radio station
- FCMB staff abscond with N500m customers’ deposits
- Buhari writes to NASS, threatens to jail anybody found corrupt
- Buhari’s Kinsmen Pressurising Him To Reinstate Sacked Daura — Junaid Mohammed
- Police Headquarters To Conduct Psychiatric Test On SARS
- Craziest thing I’ve done was slapping my father – Femi Adebayo
- Killer Herdsmen Engage Soldiers In Heavy Shoot Out
- PHOTOS: Yinka Ayefele's Building Demolished By Oyo Government
- Okorocha Facing Tough Times In Bid For His Son-in-Law
- I am not happy taking key players to foreign clubs –Coach Boboye
- I want NPFL to kick off —Coach Fidelis
- Kada City James Joseph, 3 others jet out for trials in Dubai, Turkey
- Club owners , others storm Imo for Heartland FC boss
- Wilder ready for Fury this year
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Top Tips For Pregnant Travellers
- Female Presidential aspirant, Eunice Atuejide suspended by party over "corruption"
- Nigerian Who Escaped Death Penalty In Malaysia, Re-Arrested
- Sad Tales Of Delta Schoolgirls Lured Into Pros-titution In Lagos
- Buhari Returns To Aso Rock, Moves To Take Action On Daura
- Where there are women, there will be evil – Actress Liz Anjorin
- Saraki, Dogara Plan Joint Session To Avert Impeachment?
- Tears Of Nigerian Journalists: The Gory Tales Under Buhari
- NRA promotion exam holds
- Ronaldo doesn’t guarantee Juventus the title, warns Allegri
- Kofi Anan dies in Switzerland
- NAFRC commandant pulled out from service
- Osun: Parties left out of ballot paper, INEC explains
- Nigeria loses N126.2Bn on abandoned FG properties in Lagos – Unilag Don
- Relatives protest as rescue efforts end at collapsed Abuja building
- Saraki, Ahmed under fire as EFCC tightens noose
- Your ambition a pipe dream, BMO tells Tambuwal
- Why 2019 elections may be delayed