Theophilus Onojeghen, Warri
Three persons reportedly died when a Land Cruiser Prado Jeep plunged into the popular Agbarho river along the Okuokoko/Agbarho section of the East-West Road in the Ughelli North Local Government Area of Delta State.
Six persons were said to be inside the vehicle when the accident occurred at about 3:30pm on Saturday.
While three of the occupants including the driver escaped from the Jeep with registration number: Abuja DK 653 ABC; three others were alleged to have died from the accident.
The victims were said to be returning from Bayelsa State when the accident took place.
One of the survivors of the accident who declined to give his name told The PUNCH correspondent, who visited the scene of the accident on Sunday morning that they had just dropped off a colleague when the car started malfunctioning.
The source explained that all the occupants were male and were returning from Bayelsa State where they had gone to fix one of their company’s faulty trucks.
It added that the occupants were motor mechanics and electricians.
The victims were said to be staff of an indigenous construction company.
A staff of the company gave the identity of the deceased to include one Mr Jiwere Godsend Olotu, a cousin to the owner of the construction firm and a mechanic, Lucky (electrician) and Musa (mechanic).
Narrating the accident to our correspondent, another survivor who identified himself simply as Freeborn said “We were returning from Bayelsa State when the Jeep suddenly stopped working on top of the bridge. The steering and the brake refused to work before six of us and the vehicle fell into the into the river.
“The driver was not on speed. We had barely dropped one of our colleagues who lives in Agbarho at the junction close to the bridge when the jeep plunged into the river. We were coming from work. We were all mechanics and electricians. We only stopped at Evwreni to eat and no one took a drink.
“It was a terrible accident. We were all battling to escape from the vehicle. We were not seeing each other inside the water because the place was so deep.
“I spent over 15 minutes before I was able to break one of the glasses to escape. Everyone was battling for safety when I left. Three of us escaped. We all sustained bruises.”
Our correspondent observed that the white Jeep which the victims were travelling with was however recovered and evacuated by a team of professional divers with the help of a train loader to a Police Station in Agbarho.
The incident resulted in heavy gridlock along the highway as operatives of the Nigeria Police Force and FRSC officials diverted road users to one of the lanes at the section of the road where the accident took place to quicken the search operation.
A witness, who was involved in the rescue operation said, “The remaining persons were found dead inside the Jeep yesterday (Saturday) but could not been rescued because the vehicle was locked. But as at this morning (Sunday) they might have followed the wave. We are still searching for them. They will float by evening.”
The deceased corpses had not been seen at the time of filing this report as the divers intensified efforts to recover their missing bodies.
When contacted, the Delta State Police Commissioner, Muhammad Mustafa, confirmed the incident.
He added that three persons survived the accident and had been discharged from the hospital where they were rushed.
The police chief stated that efforts were still on to recover the bodies of the remaining victims who allegedly drowned in the process.
While also confirming the incident, the State Sector Commander of FRSC, Mr, Rindom Kumven said the search was still on to recover the bodies of the victims.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Police Block Ezekwesili, BBOG Protesters From Seeing Buhari
- Delta Woman Refuses To Take Her Daughter Without Anus For Surgery After Collecting Money
- Police Headquarters Drag Senator Adeleke To Court Over NECO
- Female Corper Visiting Friend Shot Dead By Cultists Who Killed Many At AAU Party
- Fayose resists EFCC malicious intimidation
- BREAKING: WAEC Confirms 1981 Certificate of Dancing Senator
- Mother & Her Kids Escape Death In Terrible Accident On Way To School (Photos)
- Ambode Reacts: "It's A Lie, I Didn't Endorse Sanwo-Olu"
- Soldier Killed By Boko Haram 3 Months After Wife Gave Birth
- Buhari promises additional support for flood disaster victims
- 2019: IBB still undecided on support for Buhari’s reelection
- 2019: APC breaches electoral laws
- 2019: PDP blasts APC for fielding a prisoner in election
- Messi is ahead of Ronaldo in Champions League hat-trick numbers
- See University Graduate Who Is A Puff Puff Seller
- Fani-Kayode Reacts: Nnamdi Kanu Is Not 'Safe & Well In London'
- "She Jazzed Me" - Man Set To Wed Girlfriend He Met In NYSC
- Comedian Bovi & Wife Celebrate 9th Wedding Anniversary
- Saraki Meets PDP Delegates In Osun State
- Lecturers Kidnapped In Kaduna Have Been Released
- Tears As Cultists Murder Final Year Medical Student, 9 Others At AAU Graduation Party
- Nnamdi Kanu Is Safe, Currently In London - Uzor Kalu
- Ex-convict Nabbed After Release From Prison For Similar Crime
- Mother Sells Baby In Anambra To Raise Money For Christmas
- Civil Servant Fired for Criticising Okonjo-Iweala Returns to Office After 5 Years
- Three Lecturers Kidnapped While Traveling In Kaduna
- Gov Wike Opens Up: "Buhari Presidency Has Agent Among PDP Presidential Aspirants"
- IGP Team Nabs Suspected Bank Robber, Female Arms Keeper In Lagos (Photo)
- Oshiomhole Hits Senator Adeleke: 'Governance is not for dancers'
- Husband Gifts Ex-Beauty Queen, Powede Eniola A Car For Their Wedding Anniversary
- We Have Moved 10 Million Nigerians Out Of Poverty – FG
- Meet Politician Supporting Buhari's Re-Election With 100 Cars
- LAUTECH Final Year Student Who's An Only Child Dies A Day To Project Defense
- Mandatory Use Of Identity Numbers Begins In January 2019
- See Audi's 1st Electric SUV: Goes 250mi On A Single Charge
- 4 People You Shouldn’t Travel With
- Oyo Speaker, Minority Leader, Others Decamp To APC, ADC
- Meet Me In My Office September 20 - Gov. Fayose Writes EFCC
- Secret Plot Begins To Remove Saraki, Dogara "Violently"?
- This Beautiful "Young Woman" Is 59 Years Old