Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is easily one of the most celebrated African authors of all time, and with how thoughtfully she creates textured stories populated with three-dimensional characters, it’s not that hard to see why.
With three acclaimed novels under her belt — Purple Hibiscus, Half of a Yellow Sun and Americanah — each stacked with memorable characters, we expect her to have grown attached to a few, and she has just revealed which of them she admires the most.
In a recent interview with Elle India, where she talks about everything from feminism to food, Chimamanda reveals how she creates her characters, and whether or not they stay with her after she’s done writing them.
About how she creates them, she said:
"Characters are sometimes based on real people, and sometimes not. But even when they are, they are never really those people.
I invent and remake. More often, characters are a reinvention of an amalgam of people."
About the characters she admires the most, she continued:
"There are characters I admire — like Kainene in Half Of A Yellow Sun, Ifemelu and Obinze in Americanah, Aunty Ifeoma in Purple Hibiscus — and I feel a sense of loss when I am done writing them, but I’m not sure it would be true to say that they stay with me."
For the rest of the expectedly fantastic interview, she talks about how she gets started writing a new book or piece, how much of a book is in her mind before she actually starts writing, and how much her mother inspired her growing up.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- How Shehu Sani's APC Senatorial Ticket Was 'Sold For $2m' By Oshiomhole
- Appeal Court Reduces Ex-Gov. Dariye's 14 Years Jail Term
- Fayose Celebrates His 58th Birthday (Photos)
- Outrage As Government Detains Popular Catholic Bishop
- Presidential Debate Unnecessary; says Buhari's Campaign DG, Amaechi
- See What A Woman Did To Her Gateman After He Asked For His Salary (Photos)
- Buhari ‘Covering Up Unemployment Figures Because Of 2019 Elections’
- 2 Ladies Stripped, Killed, Privates Cut Off By Ritualists (Photos)
- N2.5b Fraud Uncovered In Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation
- Face Of Young Man Nabbed With Fresh Human Parts
- Twin Sisters' Kidnappers Demand N15m, Vow To Kill One If Payment Not Made
- "My Wife Is An Unrepentant Adulterer" – Businessman
- Armed Robbers Gunned Down After Being Traced To A Brothel In Delta (Photos)
- 2019: Atiku Holds Crucial Meeting With Saraki, Others
- Pastor Arrested For 'Sleeping With Married Woman' In Edo
- Oshiomhole In Trouble? Ex-APC Chief Exposes Dollar Bribe
- Governor's Earn Over N600k But Make Billions Through Fraud With Contractors
- Okorocha Says Buhari Will Win In 2019, Warns Igbo Leaders Who Endorsed Ariku
- 34 Yahoo Boys, Including Ladies Arrested... Charms, Cars Recovered (Photos)
- Saraki, Oshiomhole In War Of Words Over APC Dollar Bribe
- Young Man Caught Red-handed With Fresh Human Parts
- NLC Reacts To Threat By Govs To Sack Over Minimum Wage
- NDLEA Uncovers 12 Containers With 340 Million Tramadol
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Shehu Sani To FG: All We See Is 'Megawatts Of Propaganda'
- Resource control by states not advisable now, says Atiku
- Bribery allegation: Oshiomhole replies Saraki
- Oshiomhole being hunted by political godfathers- group
- 2019: APC should make up its mind on the lie to tell Nigerians – PDP
- 2019: Igbo Leaders endorse Atiku for President
- Bribery scandal: Governor sues newspaper for N3bn
- EFCC seizes properties of Fayose, Diezani, others
- I crave more experience in NPFL —Cameronian coach
- Ehibam Griefshare Foundation partners with Edo state Rugby
- Icheen set for best Women’s Pro-League
- Paul Bassey harps on discipline, professionalism as Akwa United intensify pres-season training
- The most unsettling Tramadol import in years uncovered at Apapa
- Death in the flour: If amala is not your favourite, don’t read this
- How Lagos Police Inspector Killed Man, Stole 2 Sienna Buses
- Man Paints His Beautiful Wife-to-be In Cute Pre-Wedding Pic