The Federal Government said states must clear the backlog of salaries and other related staff arrears before they would be able to access the remaining 2.69 billion dollars Paris Club Refund.
The Director of Information, Federal Ministry of Finance, Mr Hassan Dodo, on Tuesday, said the Federal Government would commence phased payments of the refund to the states once the condition and several others were met.
“The DMO led the reconciliation process under the supervision of the Federal Ministry of Finance. The final approval of 2.69 billion dollars is subject to some conditions.
“Salary and staff related arrears must be paid as a priority. Also, commitment to the commencement of the repayment of Budget Support Loans granted in 2016 must be made by all states.
“Furthermore, they must clear amounts due to the Presidential Fertiliser Initiative and make commitment to clear matching grants from UBEC.
“This is in cases where some states have available funds which could be used to improve primary education and learning outcomes,” Dodo said in a statement.
Recall that the issue of Paris Club loan over-deduction had been a long-standing dispute between the Federal Government and the state governments, dating back to 1995.
In response to the dispute, President Muhammadu Buhari directed that the claims of over-deduction should be formally and individually reconciled by the Debt Management Office.
This reconciliation commenced in November 2016.
As an interim measure to alleviate the financial challenges of the states during the 2016 recession, the President had approved that 50 per cent of the amounts claimed by States be paid to enable them clear salary and pension arrears.
This approved sum was released to the states between December 1, 2016 and September 29, 2017.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Shehu Sani Slams Governors Who Say They Can't Pay N30k
- My Vision For Better Nigeria Achievable - Buhari
- Married Female Banker Steals Customer’s N8Million In Abuja
- Why Atiku will not stay beyond 4 years as President- Aide
- Court orders Trump to restore press pass of CNN reporter
- Total National Division 1 dunks off November 27
- Volleyball: Nimrod attends FIVB Congress in Mexico
- FIFA approves Stephen Okechukwu Keshi Stadium, Asaba for Uganda friendly
- Rohr: Injuries, suspensions mean opportunities for others
- Revealed! See how much Nigeria’s political officers earn
- Onyekuru sued by baby mama over child support payment
- Super Eagles/Uganda friendly :Ikpeba,Yobo, others storm Asaba
- APC leadership style, an enduring legacy – Kasunmu
- I have only 75k in my account- Efe BBNaija admits
- NGO raises funds for cancer patients
- AfDB President speaks on Buhari’s hardline on Africa Free Trade agreement
- Dollar appreciates as Brexit deal suffers setback
- FG to set up special Banks for petty traders
- Buhari extends Seplat’s OMLs to 2038
- Buhari makes new appointments
- Don't Die Till Our Strike Is Over - Mortuary Staff Tells Ghanains
- Tope Alabi & Husband Celebrate Wedding Anniversary
- Comedian I Go Dye Writes Open Letter To President Buhari
- Cultists Who Killed Female Student Over New iPhone Finally Arrested In Bayelsa (Photos)
- How Shehu Sani's APC Senatorial Ticket Was 'Sold For $2m' By Oshiomhole
- Appeal Court Reduces Ex-Gov. Dariye's 14 Years Jail Term
- Fayose Celebrates His 58th Birthday (Photos)
- Outrage As Government Detains Popular Catholic Bishop
- Presidential Debate Unnecessary; says Buhari's Campaign DG, Amaechi
- See What A Woman Did To Her Gateman After He Asked For His Salary (Photos)
- Buhari ‘Covering Up Unemployment Figures Because Of 2019 Elections’
- 2 Ladies Stripped, Killed, Privates Cut Off By Ritualists (Photos)
- N2.5b Fraud Uncovered In Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation
- Face Of Young Man Nabbed With Fresh Human Parts
- Twin Sisters' Kidnappers Demand N15m, Vow To Kill One If Payment Not Made
- "My Wife Is An Unrepentant Adulterer" – Businessman
- Armed Robbers Gunned Down After Being Traced To A Brothel In Delta (Photos)
- 2019: Atiku Holds Crucial Meeting With Saraki, Others
- Pastor Arrested For 'Sleeping With Married Woman' In Edo
- Oshiomhole In Trouble? Ex-APC Chief Exposes Dollar Bribe