The Federal Government said states must clear the backlog of salaries and other related staff arrears before they would be able to access the remaining 2.69 billion dollars Paris Club Refund.
The Director of Information, Federal Ministry of Finance, Mr Hassan Dodo, on Tuesday, said the Federal Government would commence phased payments of the refund to the states once the condition and several others were met.
“The DMO led the reconciliation process under the supervision of the Federal Ministry of Finance. The final approval of 2.69 billion dollars is subject to some conditions.
“Salary and staff related arrears must be paid as a priority. Also, commitment to the commencement of the repayment of Budget Support Loans granted in 2016 must be made by all states.
“Furthermore, they must clear amounts due to the Presidential Fertiliser Initiative and make commitment to clear matching grants from UBEC.
“This is in cases where some states have available funds which could be used to improve primary education and learning outcomes,” Dodo said in a statement.
Recall that the issue of Paris Club loan over-deduction had been a long-standing dispute between the Federal Government and the state governments, dating back to 1995.
In response to the dispute, President Muhammadu Buhari directed that the claims of over-deduction should be formally and individually reconciled by the Debt Management Office.
This reconciliation commenced in November 2016.
As an interim measure to alleviate the financial challenges of the states during the 2016 recession, the President had approved that 50 per cent of the amounts claimed by States be paid to enable them clear salary and pension arrears.
This approved sum was released to the states between December 1, 2016 and September 29, 2017.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Farmers urged to harvest produce on time
- Aisha Buhari Orders Arrest Of Her Own ADC, Alleges N2.5b Fraud
- Singer Timi Dakolo Shares Fun Pic With Wife
- Ambode Moves Against LGA Chairmen Who Didn't Endorse Him, Considers Massive Sack?
- Face Of Heartless Son Who Killed His Father To Inherit Millions
- Beautiful Lady's Leg Crushed By Truck On Her Way To Work
- Osun Election Outcome: UK, US & EU Release Joint Statement
- Skye Bank: Why shareholders may drag CBN to court
- PDP leaders bickers over venue of convention
- Oshiomhole takes another swipe at Saraki, Dogara
- Handsome Young Man Killed By Lagos Cultists for 'Dressing Well' ...mother cries to Ambode, Police
- Funny Pics Of Man Bathing Inside Flood That Covered His Home
- 12-Year-Old Girl, Two Others Shot As Violence Erupts In Osogbo
- First Class Graduates, Others Protest Against Chevron In Lagos Over Enslavement
- Why I've Not Agreed To Work For PDP's Adeleke - Omisore
- Busquet to negotiate improved Barca deal
- Strong Man Lifts His Fiancee In Loved Up Pre-Wedding Photos
- Ambode Already Has Governorship Ticket Of Another Party?
- Oshiomhole Talks Tough: Saraki, Dogara Are Mistakes, We'll Deal With Their Types
- Your SAN Rank Can Be Withdrawn - CJN Warns As Top Lawyers Are Nabbed For Forgery
- PHOTO: Saraki, Senator Adeleke Meet Over Osun Rerun
- VP Osinbajo Visits Koton Karfe, Kogi, Inspects Areas Hit By Flood
- PDP Aspirants Opposed to PH Venue Are Enemies of Niger Delta - Gov Wike
- Gallant soldiers kill 7 Boko Haram terrorists, rescue 73 hostages
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Shehu Sani, Sule Lamido, Others Escapes Azman Air Disaster In Abuja
- PDP takes INEC to court, demands arrest of Osun returning officer
- APC Expels High-ranking House Of Reps Member
- Pretty Lady Celebrates Grandmother's 95th Birthday With Stylish Photoshoot
- Ambode Must Face Sanwo-Olu In Direct Primary - Lagos APC
- Jubilation As Notorious Kidnapper Is Captured By Police In Imo
- Tension In Osun As Security Allegedly Side APC, Arrest PDP Man Over PVC Allegation
- UNILAG Female Student Arrested For Stealing Money Through ATM Card (Photos)
- Armed Robbers Captured With Weapons & Charms By Police
- PDP Presidential Convention: Leaders Fight Over Rivers Venue
- Osun Rerun: "INEC Giving PVCs To APC Govt officials" - CUPP
- Why Adeleke Should Have Been Declared Winner - Ozekhome
- Flood Destroys Buhari's Spokesman, Garba Shehu's Farm
- Protest At INEC Office In Osun Over Inconclusive Election
- Osun Re-run: SDP's Omisore Lists Condition To Support PDP