Olusola Fabiyi, Abuja
The national leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party is not happy over its inability to settle the rift between the camp of Senator Ademola Adeleke and some aggrieved governorship aspirants in Osun State, led by Dr Akin Ogunbiyi, The PUNCH learnt on Wednesday.
He defeated Ogunbiyi with seven votes, which was contested by the defeated candidate.
Ogunbiyi, who was backed by some other aggrieved aspirants, petitioned the members of the National Working Committee of the party, complaining about alleged irregularities in the conduct of the primary that produced Adeleke.
Governor of Bayelsa State, Mr Seriake Dickson, was the chairman of the election panel.
Though the NWC led by Prince Uche Secondus upheld the outcome of the primary, it nevertheless set up a committee to harmonise the sharing of political offices between the two camps.
The committee, which had four members drawn from each camp of Adeleke and Ogunbiyi, was said not to be able to resolve the differences.
Our correspondent gathered that the Ogunbiyi group, though agreed to work with Adeleke, allegedly gave some conditions.
Part of the conditions, it was learnt, was that the group would produce the deputy governorship candidate while Adeleke would drop his nominee for the position, Mr Albert Adeogun.
He was among the aspirants who earlier signified their intention to run for the position of governor on the platform of the PDP but later stepped down for Adeleke.
It was also learnt that the Ogunbiyi group demanded an automatic senatorial ticket for the retired insurance chief, among other conditions.
However, investigations by our correspondent showed that the Ogunbiyi group had pencilled in a professor (name withheld) from Osogbo for the position of deputy governorship candidate.
Authoritative sources, however, said that the national leadership of the party was unable to reach Adeogun, who was expected to write to the Independent National Electoral Commission, about his desire to step down from the race.
The Electoral Act as amended makes it mandatory for a candidate for an election whose name has been submitted to INEC, to personally write to the commission and inform it that he is no longer interested in the race.
A source close to the Ogunbiyi camp told our correspondent that there was no way Adeogun would have allegedly absconded without the knowledge of Adeleke.
It was also gathered that the Adeleke group refused to offer automatic ticket of the senatorial district to Ogunbiyi in case the party wins the governorship election.
The source said, “How can Adeogun disappear and become unreachable without the knowledge of Adeleke? He actually colluded with the senator to disappear from our radar.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Ambode Gives N500 Million To 275 CDAs In Lagos (Photos)
- PDP Rejects Inconclusive Election; INEC Accused of Bias, Fraud
- Suspected iPhone Thief Caught and Disgraced In Oshodi, Lagos
- INEC: Only votes of Osun people will determine next governor
- See What A Wicked Uncle Did To 11-Year-Old Girl In Lagos
- We're Happy Osun Election Was Declared Inconclusive - APC
- Three Friends Arrested For Robbery & R*ping A Young Lady
- Ambode to Exit APC? Ward Chairmen Have Endorsed Sanwo-Olu
- Senate, House of Reps Will No Longer Resume This Month
- Sacked Lagos Houseboy Mobilizes Soldiers To Beat Up Boss
- Osun Election: Saraki Faults INEC Verdict, Urges PDP Supporters To Remain Firm
- What Saraki, Dogara Have Done To NASS - Senator Ndume
- No Regrets Serving Nigeria Under Jonathan - Ex VP Sambo
- 2019:Former Speaker confirms how much Ambode still needs prayer
- Osun poll: PDP kicks against rerun
- Photos Of President Buhari & Wife Departing Nigeria For US
- Female Footballers Involve In Bus Accident In Kogi, Their Driver Is Unconscious
- "How I Joined Kidney Business" - Human Kidneys' Hunters
- Saraki Wins Over Omisore of SDP to Support PDP Defeat APC?
- Lagos 2019: Sanwo-Olu compounds Ambode’s woes
- Kwese Premier League resumes with Conference eight crackers.
- Top five Nigerian players in the UEFA Europa League this week
- I celebrate Akinwunmi over NFF victory—-MFM FC new director
- Aisha Buhari departs for New York to attend UNGA
- Anthony Joshua defeats Povetkin in seventh round
- Kogi United pips NAF Rockets to maintain promotion chase
- Buruj boys to present trophies to Ambode
- Saraki’s Senate has failed Nigerians—Senator
- Boat mishap claims lives in Borno
- Details Of 7 Units Where Rerun Will Hold In Osun September 27
- Lady Jumps Out Of A Moving Car To Escape Robbery In Abuja
- Ras Kimono's Wife Dies Just 3 Months After Husband's Death
- Prince Kazeem Eletu Odibo Empowers His PRO With Cash As She Adds Another Years
- Osun Decides: INEC Planning To Declare Election Inconclusive?
- Woman Breaks Down In Tears As Pastor Gave Her Entire Church Offerings (Photos)
- BREAKING: Osun Governorship Election Declared Inconclusive
- Tinubu/Ambode feud: Lagos APC insists on primary
- You Have My Blessings - IBB assures Tambuwal
- Dangerous Flood: Monarch weeps as town go under water