Peter Dada, Akure
The Bank of Industry on Tuesday said it had been working with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission in a bid to recover loans collected by some farmers from the bank.
The bank, which lamented the alleged refusal of the farmers to pay back the loans, also said it would involve the services debt collectors to go after the defaulting farmers in recovering the money.
The programme was organised by the Justice Development and Peace Commission of the Catholic Diocese of Ondo.
According to the BOI boss, the bank was being owed hundreds of millions of naira by some farmers across the country.
She said, “For the past two months now, we have been running jingles in the media to sensitise them ( debtor farmers). What we want to do is that we will involve debt collectors but that one has additional cost on them (debtors) because they are the ones that will pay the bills of the debt collectors; so that is more burden upon them.
“If the involvement of debt collectors does not work, the next thing we will do is to involve the security agents, the EFCC is now with us; they have started working with us.”
She said the bank was assisting new farmers but stressed that the opportunity would not be available to farmers still owing the bank.
“We are still attending to new farmers and the first thing we do is to educate them on the repayment. Things are now getting better because they have been realising that the money is no national cake,” Obada said.
She urged the farmers to approach any branch of the bank in their states to be able to benefit from various services the bank could render to them.
Also speaking at the programme, the representative of the JDPC, Mr Kingsley Oihoegual, said the motive of organising the event was to chart the way to move agriculture forward in the state.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- HFN to seek partnership with other African countries at CAH Congress
- NFF holds 74th annual General Assembly in Asaba
- The 10 best centre backs in the World based on last season’s form.
- Abia Warriors elevate Adenrele to head team
- NFF Corruption Case: 3 staffers released on bail, banned from traveling abroad
- Ex-Super Eagles Cassidy dies at 50
- Heartland FC returns Coach Madu
- 16 teams for 2018 National Volleyball Premier League
- Sen. Shehu Sani joins new party
- Atiku Spotted At 2019 Presidency Strategic Meeting
- Shehu Sani Joins New Party After Dumping APC
- Beautiful Cars of Popular "Silent" Comic Actor Mr. Bean
- Buhari and Ambode At The ECOWAS Border Post (Photos)
- Scam Uncovered In Federal Civil Service Commission Abuja
- Oshiomhole Begs Court: Reject Suit Seeking To Probe Me For Corruption
- $8.1bn scandal: CBN working with MTN to resolve crisis- Minister
- Saraki's Candidate for Kwara, Razak Atunwa Reacts To NYSC Certificate "Forgery" Saga
- Good Man Beaten To Death While Trying To Stop Hoodlum From R*ping A Woman
- Presidency In Panic Over Mass Defections of APC Men In Kano
- PHOTO: 9 Die In Fatal Accident On Lagos/Ibadan Expressway
- Female Corper Gets Apology From Principal Who Flogged Her; he says it was just anger
- Abuja Rail Can't Speed Above 90km/hr Because We Don't Want To Kill Cows - Amaechi
- Jonathan Invites Buhari, Obasanjo, Atiku To Launch
- Man Turns Neighbour’s 16-Year-Old Daughter To S*x Slave
- APC Lied, We Didn’t Take Zamfara List From Them – INEC
- TEARS! Mother & Her 2 Kids, Others Perish In Terrible Accident
- Pjanic: CR7 learned simplicity from scholes
- Hamilton’s fifth title on hold as Raikkonen shocks star to victory
- Chelsea player’s must must ease burden on hazard, Willian admits
- Good Luck to Real & Barca in signing Neymar – Marquinhos
- Sarri: Chelsea Fans must respect Mourinho
- Isco: We can’t cry over Cristiano
- Barcelona President: Neymar is not welcomed
- Iniesta leaves NIKE, signs with ASCIS
- Ranked! Top 10 EPL goalkeeper’s
- Federer reveals long-standing hand injury
- Blood Flows As Fight Breaks Out At A Popular Nigerian Bar In Ghana (Graphic Photos)
- DSS Breaks Silence On Nnamdi Kanu's Escape
- Buhari's Friend & DG of VON, Osita Okechukwu hits Oshiomhole