Peter Dada, Akure
The Bank of Industry on Tuesday said it had been working with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission in a bid to recover loans collected by some farmers from the bank.
The bank, which lamented the alleged refusal of the farmers to pay back the loans, also said it would involve the services debt collectors to go after the defaulting farmers in recovering the money.
The programme was organised by the Justice Development and Peace Commission of the Catholic Diocese of Ondo.
According to the BOI boss, the bank was being owed hundreds of millions of naira by some farmers across the country.
She said, “For the past two months now, we have been running jingles in the media to sensitise them ( debtor farmers). What we want to do is that we will involve debt collectors but that one has additional cost on them (debtors) because they are the ones that will pay the bills of the debt collectors; so that is more burden upon them.
“If the involvement of debt collectors does not work, the next thing we will do is to involve the security agents, the EFCC is now with us; they have started working with us.”
She said the bank was assisting new farmers but stressed that the opportunity would not be available to farmers still owing the bank.
“We are still attending to new farmers and the first thing we do is to educate them on the repayment. Things are now getting better because they have been realising that the money is no national cake,” Obada said.
She urged the farmers to approach any branch of the bank in their states to be able to benefit from various services the bank could render to them.
Also speaking at the programme, the representative of the JDPC, Mr Kingsley Oihoegual, said the motive of organising the event was to chart the way to move agriculture forward in the state.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Senate confirms Buhari’s nominees
- CAC registers 39,074 new business names in two months under N5,000 fees strategy
- Crisis rocks Sanwo-Olu’s campaign organization
- APC questions Okorocha, six others over anti-party activities
- Buhari defends Governor Ganduje on $5m bribe video at Town-hall Interactive Programme
- Uproars over directive to freeze CJN Onnoghen’s accounts
- PDP says Osinbajo lied
- How CUPP leaked plot to freeze Onnoghen’s accounts
- Agbakoba files suit asking Court to stop Onnoghen’s arraignment
- Even at expense of my life, I’ll privatize NNPC, says Atiku
- North ready to embrace restructuring, says el-Rufai
- Here's Man Who R*ped 78yrs Old Woman In Lagos... He has been dragged to court
- Buhari Raises Alarm: Boko Haram Sponsored By Forces Outside Nigeria
- IGP Adamu Talks Tough, Blames Poor Leadership For Problems In Nigeria Police
- Nigeria’s inflation rate shots up in December – NBS
- Theresa May survives No Confidence Vote
- Rich Kidnapper Evans Makes More Revelations
- I Feel Sad Over CJN Onnoghen's Trial – Osinbajo
- CCTV Captures The Shocking Moment Thief Scaled Fence Into A House In Lagos
- PHOTO: Atiku Bows As He Meets Ooni Of Ife
- MC Oluomo Discharged From Lagos Hospital (Photos)
- Falana Opens Up: Dangerous Precedents Being Set In CJN Case
- So Sad! Husband, Wife & Their Son Die In Terrible Accident
- Reactions Trailing FG's Latest Action Against CJN Onnoghen
- I Will Privatize NNPC, It's A Mafia Organization – Atiku
- New IGP Gives First Order To All Police Officers
- Good Doctor Hurries To Help Victims Of A Car Crash Only To Find His Fiancee Dead In The Wreckage
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- NWPL Super 4: Okon says Lagos is fertile ground for Rivers Angels
- Top 10 players to look out for in the 2018 NWPL Super 4
- Messi hungry for more after reaching 400 La Liga goals
- Cristiano Ronaldo: Kathryn Mayorga lawyer to meet Jasmine Lennard
- SAR operatives get PDP gov. into trouble
- NFF sympathises with Kanu, calls on police to track down burglars
- CJN Onnoghen Saga: FG Asks NFIU To Freeze His Accounts
- Mba returns as Force spokesperson
- Nigeria has a date with destiny in 2019 – Saraki
- Onnoghen: Osinbajo says Buhari knew about CJN trial Saturday
- Ex-NAF chief forfeits billions to FG