Eniola Akinkuotu and Umar Muhammed
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has berated the Special Adviser to the President on Political Matters, Senator Babafemi Ojudu, for accusing the EFCC of playing out a script written by Senate President Bukola Saraki.
Ojudu had in an article titled, ‘Fifth columnists in our recent history’, accused Saraki of orchestrating the Department of State Services’ blockade of the National Assembly and the EFCC’s freezing of the Benue and Akwa Ibom states’ accounts last week.
He had said, “From the shenanigans at the Benue House of Assembly to the siege on National Assembly, the attack on judges home in the night, the so-called barricade of the Senate President’s house, the laughable kidnap of Boy Dino and ‘his 11 hours on a tree’, the freezing of the Benue and Akwa Ibom accounts all are scripted, produced and acted by Oloye (Saraki) Productions.”
However, the EFCC in a statement by its spokesman, Mr Wilson Uwujaren, said the freezing of the accounts were not scripted by Saraki but by the commission after months of painstaking investigations.
The anti-graft agency advised Ojudu and other politicians to do proper investigation before making allegations.
The statement read in part, “The attention of the EFCC has been drawn to a widely syndicated article by Senator Babafemi Ojudu, Special Adviser to the President on Political Matters entitled, ‘Fifth columnists in our recent history,’ wherein he portrayed the commission as a conscript in the devious plots by Senator Bukola Saraki to undermine the leadership of President Muhammadu Buhari.
“The commission takes exception to the attempt to impute false motive to its investigative activities. The recent placement of a ‘Post No Debit Order’ on some accounts in Benue and Akwa Ibom states were the culmination of many months of painstaking investigative activities. To reduce such activities to the level of a stunt in a real or imaginary script by any politician is outrageous.
“It is important to state that the EFCC is not a party to the so-called script by Saraki. Members of the public should disregard the innuendo in Ojudu’s article as it is unfounded.”
It added, “The commission calls for circumspection on the part of political leaders, while urging them to seek clarification before making comments on matters they do not know about.”
In another development, The former governor of Sokoto State, Alhaji Attahiru Bafarawa, has blamed Nigerians for voting President Muhammadu Buhari, saying that that as a soldier Buhari was trained to kill and not to govern.
Bafarawa made the statement in Lafia, while declaring his intention to contest the presidential seat under the platform of the People Democratic Party at the state PDP party secretariat on Sunday.
Bafarawa explained that he left the APC because of the injustice meted out to him by the party.
The former governor of Sokoto State, who blamed Nigerians for mistakenly voting president Buhari, said, “Buhari is a soldier trained to kill, but not to govern.
“Don’t vote somebody to power who does not possess democratic tenets to govern a country as Nigeria.”
Earlier, the state PDP Chairman, Francis Orogu, said the visit of the presidential aspirant was apt and timely.
Orogu described Nasarawa as a PDP state, stating that though the party was not in control, it was able to produce two senators and three House of Representatives members.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Why APC Sen. Shehu Sani defects
- Female Corper Flogged Mercilessly By School Principal
- Shehu Sani Dumps APC... Gives Reasons
- Five-Star Jovic makes Bundesliga history
- Real Madrid striker denies involvement in alleged kidnapping attempt in Paris
- Klopp draws Anthony Joshua comparison in criticism of Nations League
- Court rejects Russian footballers’ appeal over attack
- Ghana withdraws from CAF competitions
- See How Buhari’s Poor Performance Is Elevating Atiku
- Ekweremadu May Dump PDP?
- Woman Cries Bitterly After Being Scammed By Yahoo Boy
- Saudi Arabia admits missing journalist died in Consulate
- N8.86bn debt: Bank battles late billionaire’s family
- Tenis star Sharapova confirms romance with Prince william
- Alexis Sanchez at Man Utd is a typical Torres at Chelsea – Carragher
- Copa del’ Rey decisive fixtures
- EFCC Keeps Mum On Gov. Ganduje Bribe Video
- Atiku Meets Yoruba Leaders Over Top Political Offices
- PDP Warns INEC Against Receiving Unauthorized Names
- Confusion over Travel Ban List as Presidency, Security differ
- NAFDAC Searching For Drugs Made From Human Flesh
- EFCC stacks allegation, evidence against Fayose in court
- 900 retirees die waiting for pension
- Ooni Reveals Why He Married A Prophetess (Photos)
- Fayose Charged With Fraud By EFCC, Moved To Lagos
- Delta State University Graduate Climbs A Mast After Running Mad (Photo)
- I Don’t Know Bola Tinubu’s Position In APC – Obasanjo
- Windscreens Cracked As Hailstones Rain Down On Cars From The Sky In Abuja
- Minimum Wage: Ngge Says Labour Can't Dictate To Govt.
- Police Drags Adeleke To Court, Says "We're Not Aware Of Kemi Adeosun Forgery"
- N2.1bn Case: Face Dasuki, Not I - Dokpesi Tells Court
- Amosun Dares APC, Insists On Handing Over To His Candidate
- See Reactions To Nnamdi Kanu's Appearance In Jerusalem
- Photos Of VP Osinbajo Visiting Bayelsa Flood Victims
- Popular Actor Okon Lagos and His Beautiful Wife Celebrate 5th Wedding Anniversary
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- SFU exposes bank staffers, criminals forging ATM cards
- Splinter group emerges in APC
- 2019: Buhari remembers Jonathan, tells Kannywood his surprise
- Usain Bolt, Valletta contract goes south