Reports from Borno are that soldiers of the Special Force deployed to the northern state for the counterinsurgency operation have grounded the airport in the capital Maiduguri.
Daily Sun reports that the aggrieved soldiers have been shooting at the airport.
According to the reports, the soldiers had barricaded the airport gate since 6:15 p.m and later began firing shots sporadically into the air and forcing many residents around the area to flee.
The newspaper alleged that the shootings were protests against redeployment of the soldiers from Maiduguri to another location at the northern part of the state.
It reported further that the soldiers claimed they were deployed to Borno since February 2015 and ought to have been released to return to their original unit after serving three years at the theatre on counter-Boko Haram operation.
“We left our families for almost four years now. Ordinarily, we should have been released to return to our unit having spent three years in this theatre. But we were told this evening by our superior officers to start park our things and prepare for redeployment to Marte (northern Borno).
“We feel this is unfair and against what the Chief of Army Staff has always said that any soldier who has spent three years in the theatre will be relieved and allow to return to his unit. This is unfair,” one of the protesting soldier claimed.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android and read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
On its part, TheCable reports that the aggrieved soldiers reportedly arrived at the airport at 6pm ahead of their posting to Marte local government area but refused to board the airplane because they preferred to return home after fighting Boko Haram insurgents for over three years.
The online news platform quoted an officer who witnessed the incident as saying that superior officers, including Bulami Biu, general officer commander (GOC) of 7 division, were asked to stay off the airport or risk being shot.
“The second batch of pilgrims from Borno boarded their flight amid the commotion,” the source said. “The special forces are ready for trouble. They are really angry. The superiors were asked to stay off or be killed.”
This incident comes just days after NAIJ.com reported that dozens of Borno state hunters disclosed their willingness to lock down Sambisa forest and capture the leader of the Boko Haram terrorist group Abubakar Shekau.
The development was made public by the organizing secretary of the hunters, Bukar Mustapha, in a chat with an online platform.
Mustapha said that the hunters had 30 years of experience hunting in the forest; and as such, were familiar with its nooks and crannies.
Soldier shares battleground experience, dedicates song to colleagues – on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- APC guber candidate in certificate scandal
- Account for money spent on military operations, SERAP tells Buratai
- My rift with Tinubu is on democratic values, says Agbaje
- Boko Haram raids another community in Borno
- Atiku blasts Buhari over absence at burial of 19 soldiers in Borno
- Christmas, New Year, political Campaigns: IGP Orders CPs, AIGs to beef-up of security
- FRSC will not tolerate unethical behavior of officers – Dr. Oyeyemi
- Supersand Eagles hold firm to World Cup ticket as Senegal rule Africa
- Edo pushes for 2nd position as Tech Director, others laud team performance —Kehinde Osagiede
- Swimmer Osayi on Federation Radar as Edo Govt promises nurturing of athlete
- EPL: Mourinho told to sell four Man United players in January
- Marcelo: Madrid Miss ‘Best in the World’ CR7
- NSF: Igali thrilled with impressive outings by states
- Groups battle Buratai on Army’s spending
- NASS staff strike may affect 2019 budget
- NAFDAC highlights plan to regulate traditional herbs
- SDP presidential candidate legal crisis escalates as court sacks Duke
- Few Tips To Moving Forward With Your Passion & Purpose
- APC Candidate In Ogun, Dapo Abiodun, In Certificate Scandal
- Why Obasanjo Turned Against Buhari After Helping Him Emerge President - Oyinlola Reveals
- Atiku To Work On Jonathan's Confab Report If Elected In 2019
- Throw Back Photo Of Osinbajo, FRSC Boss Fowler & Ade
- Pastor Kidnapped In His Church Premises Regains Freedom
- Fayose, Gov Fayemi In War Of Words Over Attack On ex-Gov.
- Charlyboy Weds Wife In Church After 40 Years, Drive In Keke
- APC To Its NASS Members: Don't Allow Electoral Bill Override
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Beautiful Pics Of Nigeria Police Couple Getting Married Today
- Road Safety State Commander Dies In Road Accident (Photos)
- OAP Toolz & Husband Tunde Demuren Welcome Baby Boy
- Tinubu Hits Saraki? Says Robbers Deny Nigeria Vibrant Senate Presidency
- Five Die In Terrible Accidents In Lagos (Photos)
- Drunk FRSC Official Bashes Man's Car In Lagos (Photos)
- National Assembly Staff Begin Strike Monday, Threaten Buhari's Budget Presentation
- Man Kidnaps Ex-Boss For Accusing Him Of Stealing, Demands N1m Ransom
- 6-Week-Old Baby Miraculously Survives Ebola
- Yahoo Boy, Banker Arrested For Defrauding Woman
- The President and His Wife
- Boko Haram: Between Buhari’s Amnesty And The Lives of Our Soldiers
- Adorable Photos Of Buhari & Wife, Aisha Melt Hearts