Reports from Borno are that soldiers of the Special Force deployed to the northern state for the counterinsurgency operation have grounded the airport in the capital Maiduguri.
Daily Sun reports that the aggrieved soldiers have been shooting at the airport.
According to the reports, the soldiers had barricaded the airport gate since 6:15 p.m and later began firing shots sporadically into the air and forcing many residents around the area to flee.
The newspaper alleged that the shootings were protests against redeployment of the soldiers from Maiduguri to another location at the northern part of the state.
It reported further that the soldiers claimed they were deployed to Borno since February 2015 and ought to have been released to return to their original unit after serving three years at the theatre on counter-Boko Haram operation.
“We left our families for almost four years now. Ordinarily, we should have been released to return to our unit having spent three years in this theatre. But we were told this evening by our superior officers to start park our things and prepare for redeployment to Marte (northern Borno).
“We feel this is unfair and against what the Chief of Army Staff has always said that any soldier who has spent three years in the theatre will be relieved and allow to return to his unit. This is unfair,” one of the protesting soldier claimed.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android and read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
On its part, TheCable reports that the aggrieved soldiers reportedly arrived at the airport at 6pm ahead of their posting to Marte local government area but refused to board the airplane because they preferred to return home after fighting Boko Haram insurgents for over three years.
The online news platform quoted an officer who witnessed the incident as saying that superior officers, including Bulami Biu, general officer commander (GOC) of 7 division, were asked to stay off the airport or risk being shot.
“The second batch of pilgrims from Borno boarded their flight amid the commotion,” the source said. “The special forces are ready for trouble. They are really angry. The superiors were asked to stay off or be killed.”
This incident comes just days after NAIJ.com reported that dozens of Borno state hunters disclosed their willingness to lock down Sambisa forest and capture the leader of the Boko Haram terrorist group Abubakar Shekau.
The development was made public by the organizing secretary of the hunters, Bukar Mustapha, in a chat with an online platform.
Mustapha said that the hunters had 30 years of experience hunting in the forest; and as such, were familiar with its nooks and crannies.
Soldier shares battleground experience, dedicates song to colleagues – on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- INEC Chairman Presents 2019 INEC Budget To Senate (Photos)
- Landlord Who Led Armed Robbers To Rob Neighbour Arrested
- INEC to feed police with N6bn in 2019 polls
- Experts worry over rising cyber security poverty line in Nigeria
- Driver crushes LASTMA officer
- GTBank to increase loan book by 10%
- Zinedine Zidane is replacing one of the Manchester Clubs
- Student Who Scored 364 In JAMB Receives N5m Cash (Photo)
- Presidency Speaks On Buhari Extending 10-day London Vacation
- SARS Caught "Extorting Passengers" Despite Osinbajo's Order
- Female Corper Knocked Down By Reckless Driver In Lagos
- Story Of Abuja Wild Forest Where "All Kinds Of Things" Happen
- Oil prices down by 13% over growing US crude inventories
- MTN secures N200bn loan from Diamond bank, 11 others
- Pastor's Wife Attacked For Brutalizing Her Little Maid (Maid)
- Kemi Adeosun's Certificate: SERAP Drags NYSC Boss To Court
- Fraudster Impersonating Nollywood Actor To Defraud People Arrested In Lagos
- 2019: Tinubu tackles Obasanjo
- Police lost 15 operatives to Bandits in two months; families demand compensation
- Investors panic as prices of Bitcoin, others plummet
- Nigeria’s inflation drops again in July
- Update On How 35 Died As Bridge Collapsed In Italy (Photos)
- Buhari To Take Action On New DSS Boss and Daura
- Thief Arrested While Preparing Pepper Soup With Stolen Goat
- The Leadership In Nigeria Today Has Lost Focus - IBB
- 2019: I’m not desperate to be President – Atiku
- Tension in Abuja: US Embassy shuts Visa, Consular Services indefinitely
- Odili, Ekpu @ 70: Of patriarchs and their progenies
- Minister’s certificate forgery scam: SERAP sues NYSC over failure to publish Adeosun’s ‘exemption certificate’
- Saraki, Dogara Reveal Why They're Not Reconvening NASS
- Man Who Abducted Lagos Schoolgirl Who's Sold Into Pros-titution Arrested, Opens Up
- Uber Driver Nabbed For Beating Up 'Runs Girl' In Lagos After S*x
- 2019: I’m Qualified, Not Desperate To Be President - Atiku
- Man Steals Company’s Products To Pay Medical Bill Of Wife
- SARAKI's TIME IS UP - Oshiomhole insists, gives strong condition
- Hacks For Dealing With Smelly Feet
- Female Corper Cries As Political Thugs Kidnap Her For Refusing To Rig Election
- Oba Of Benin Arrives Abuja In His Rolls Royce and Private Jet
- 2019: Presidency Reacts To "Pressure" On Buhari Not To Run
- Lecturer Sent To Prison For R*ping His Wife Sister's Daughter