World number one Simona Halep breezed into the Rogers Cup final with a 6-4 6-1 semi-final victory over Australian Ashleigh Barty in Montreal on Saturday.
Romanian Halep will now meet the winner of the late semi-final between defending champion Elina Svitolina of Ukraine and U.S. Open winner Sloane Stephens for the title on Sunday.
Top-seeded Halep won four of the match’s first five games, and broke Barty twice before the 22-year-old Australian registered her first, and lone, break in the sixth game.
The 2016 Rogers Cup champion held serve for the remainder of the set.
The second set went much quicker with Halep winning seven of the last eight games.
The timing of the match, in the afternoon, had upset Halep after her Friday evening quarter-final win.
“If you look at the schedule, I think I’m the only one person and player who has the worst schedule during the week,” the French Open champion told the Montreal Gazette.
“My opponent has already six hours at the hotel resting, and I just finished the match and I’m doing now these (interviews),” Halep said at 9 p.m. local time (0100 GMT).
“I feel like today (Friday) I should have played second match in the night, and also tomorrow (Saturday) at 6 (p.m.), not at 1.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Governor Ganduje In Trouble As Kano Assembly Begins Action
- First Photos of Ooni Of Ife With His Beautiful Bride in His Palace
- Fayose's Lawyer Reveals What He's Doing To Get Him Out
- Buhari Hosts Kannywood Actors In Aso Rock (Photos)
- PHOTOS: Nnamdi Kanu Spotted In Jerusalem
- APC Defies INEC, Submits Candidates For Zamfara
- Dangerous drug for diabetes, cancer in circulation, says NIA
- Oni of Ife sets for another marriage
- 2019: PDP agenda for Saraki forwarded to INEC
- Presidential race 2019: Re-structuring a condition for supporting any candidate – Aare Ganiyu Adams
- Lagos Assembly scraps Visionscape
- Etebo seals image rights deal with Myron Topclass Sport Outfits
- Police arrest fake lawyer for false information
- NFF President,Governor Bako Lalong to receive football awards in South Africa
- PDP Members Protest Over Osun Election Tribunal
- Fraud: NHIS boss reinstated by Buhari suspended indefinitely
- Sacked Policeman & His Gang Arrested Over Woman’s Murder
- Nigerian Students Made Generator Running On Water (Photos)
- Brilliant Student Going Home After Final Exams Dies In Crash
- Ooni Of Ife Unveils His New Beautiful Queen (Photos)
- Polaris Bank battles for survival
- Zenith Bank gross earnings drop
- LCCI lauds Dangote over oil refinery project, others
- Did EFCC Chairman Say Nothing Will Happen If Fayose Die?
- NYSC Member Dies Just A Day Before Passing Out
- Ambode Challenged By Lagos Assembly, As House Orders PSP To Resume Work
- Popular notorious cultist Small Jpron killed in Lagos over Cash from Top Politician
- Buhari's Plan To Win In 2019... How Atiku Will Defeat Him
- PDP Submits Saraki’s Name To INEC As Senatorial Candidate
- Fashola Repents? Electricity issues can’t be solved by magic
- Armed Robber Storms Lagos Church... Caught and Disarmed
- New Minimum Wage: "We Can't Pay" - Governors
- Father Reports His 'Yahoo' Son to EFCC after He Bought House Worth Millions (Photo)
- Checkout Out New Made-in-Nigeria Keke
- Faces Of Kidnappers Who Ran To Lagos To Share Money After Abducting Woman
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How A Boy Almost Got Killed By His Cake At His Birthday Party
- NLO will use Division 3 Playoff to correct past errors – Ogunnowo
- NBBF to refresh referees
- What Ighalo decided before Libya match