– Speaker Yakubu Dogara has reportedly reconsidered his plan to defect to the PDP
– The Speaker was reportedly advised to take his time
– Dogara is hoping to return as Speaker in 2019
According to The Punch, Dogara was advised not to make the move due to the numerical disadvantage of the PDP in the House.
It was also reported that Dogara has plans to return as Speaker in 2019 and to do so, he must be a member of the party that wins the most seat.
The APC still controls the majority today with about 186 members as against PDP’s 162.
A source close the Speaker reportedly said: “In 2019, no one is sure how things will pan out. Dogara has less problems to contend with as a speaker today because he is still with the APC.
“No one is seriously demanding his resignation, neither is he facing any impeachment threat like the Senate President.
“The fear now is that if he hurriedly defects to the PDP to contest the election, his chances of returning as a speaker if the APC retains the majority become a tough call.
“On the other hand, if he remains in the APC to contest the election and the PDP captures the majority, it will be another problem for Dogara because the PDP, now hungry for power, will pick one of their own.
“A third option, which appears more appealing, is for him to stick with the APC, hoping it will retain the majority. He can then work across parties to get enough votes to remain the speaker.”
Ado-Doguwa who is the chief whip of the House urged Dogara to stay in the APC.
He said: “I am also authoritatively aware that up till today, Dogara is a faithful member of the APC, and still ready for further negotiations on the perceived bitter relationship with his state governor.
“I, therefore, urge the national leadership of our great party to dispassionately intervene on the Speaker’s issue in Bauchi State and bring it to a logical conclusion.
“It is my candid opinion that we cannot afford to miss the Speaker from the APC family.”
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Meanwhile, Senate president Bukola Saraki and his deputy, Ike Ekweremadu, raised the alarm that the federal government has commenced the execution of a plot to implicate them and their colleagues in the PDP for the recent invasion of the National Assembly by men of the DSS.
In a statement signed by their media aides, Yusuph Olaniyonu and Uche Anichukwu, the two legislative leaders stated that after receiving the interim report submitted by the inspector general of police, Idris Ibrahim, the presidency on Friday, August 10, constituted a closet panel to review the report and submit a final recommendation.
The mandate of this closet panel, the two legislators claimed, is to turn facts on the head and blame the invasion of the National Assembly on the two leaders of the Red Chamber of the National Assembly.
Nigeria Latest News: Here’s What Saraki and Tambuwal’s Defection Means for the APC | NAIJ.com TV:
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Giwa didn’t win any election— Jones-Ere
- Jose Mourinho: Man Utd manager says Man City ‘cannot buy class’
- Lionel Messi’s brother sentenced for possessing illegal firearm.
- D’Tigress bury hatchet; focus on World Cup preparation
- Lawmaker calls for NASS budget probe under Saraki
- Doctor convicted of sexual assault of patient gets probation
- Defection: Tambuwal govt in disarray as oath taking scatters administration
- Nigerian top runner hails Lagos Media Marathon
- EFCC opens fresh probe of Saraki
- 2019: PDP at crossroads
- Nigeria envoy wants citizens banned from Saudi Arabia
- Nigeria’s economy still struggling, says expert
- House deputy Speaker fumes, states position on defection from APC
- Yinka Ayefele’s FM Continues Broadcasting Despite Demolition
- See How A Female Soldier Brutalize Her Househelp In Lagos
- FIFA Ban : Who can save Nigeria from herself ?
- Oyo state government demolishes Yinka Ayefele’s radio station
- FCMB staff abscond with N500m customers’ deposits
- Buhari writes to NASS, threatens to jail anybody found corrupt
- Buhari’s Kinsmen Pressurising Him To Reinstate Sacked Daura — Junaid Mohammed
- Police Headquarters To Conduct Psychiatric Test On SARS
- Craziest thing I’ve done was slapping my father – Femi Adebayo
- Killer Herdsmen Engage Soldiers In Heavy Shoot Out
- PHOTOS: Yinka Ayefele's Building Demolished By Oyo Government
- Okorocha Facing Tough Times In Bid For His Son-in-Law
- I am not happy taking key players to foreign clubs –Coach Boboye
- I want NPFL to kick off —Coach Fidelis
- Kada City James Joseph, 3 others jet out for trials in Dubai, Turkey
- Club owners , others storm Imo for Heartland FC boss
- Wilder ready for Fury this year
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Top Tips For Pregnant Travellers
- Female Presidential aspirant, Eunice Atuejide suspended by party over "corruption"
- Nigerian Who Escaped Death Penalty In Malaysia, Re-Arrested
- Sad Tales Of Delta Schoolgirls Lured Into Pros-titution In Lagos
- Buhari Returns To Aso Rock, Moves To Take Action On Daura
- Where there are women, there will be evil – Actress Liz Anjorin
- Saraki, Dogara Plan Joint Session To Avert Impeachment?
- Tears Of Nigerian Journalists: The Gory Tales Under Buhari
- NRA promotion exam holds