– Speaker Yakubu Dogara has reportedly reconsidered his plan to defect to the PDP
– The Speaker was reportedly advised to take his time
– Dogara is hoping to return as Speaker in 2019
According to The Punch, Dogara was advised not to make the move due to the numerical disadvantage of the PDP in the House.
It was also reported that Dogara has plans to return as Speaker in 2019 and to do so, he must be a member of the party that wins the most seat.
The APC still controls the majority today with about 186 members as against PDP’s 162.
A source close the Speaker reportedly said: “In 2019, no one is sure how things will pan out. Dogara has less problems to contend with as a speaker today because he is still with the APC.
“No one is seriously demanding his resignation, neither is he facing any impeachment threat like the Senate President.
“The fear now is that if he hurriedly defects to the PDP to contest the election, his chances of returning as a speaker if the APC retains the majority become a tough call.
“On the other hand, if he remains in the APC to contest the election and the PDP captures the majority, it will be another problem for Dogara because the PDP, now hungry for power, will pick one of their own.
“A third option, which appears more appealing, is for him to stick with the APC, hoping it will retain the majority. He can then work across parties to get enough votes to remain the speaker.”
Ado-Doguwa who is the chief whip of the House urged Dogara to stay in the APC.
He said: “I am also authoritatively aware that up till today, Dogara is a faithful member of the APC, and still ready for further negotiations on the perceived bitter relationship with his state governor.
“I, therefore, urge the national leadership of our great party to dispassionately intervene on the Speaker’s issue in Bauchi State and bring it to a logical conclusion.
“It is my candid opinion that we cannot afford to miss the Speaker from the APC family.”
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Meanwhile, Senate president Bukola Saraki and his deputy, Ike Ekweremadu, raised the alarm that the federal government has commenced the execution of a plot to implicate them and their colleagues in the PDP for the recent invasion of the National Assembly by men of the DSS.
In a statement signed by their media aides, Yusuph Olaniyonu and Uche Anichukwu, the two legislative leaders stated that after receiving the interim report submitted by the inspector general of police, Idris Ibrahim, the presidency on Friday, August 10, constituted a closet panel to review the report and submit a final recommendation.
The mandate of this closet panel, the two legislators claimed, is to turn facts on the head and blame the invasion of the National Assembly on the two leaders of the Red Chamber of the National Assembly.
Nigeria Latest News: Here’s What Saraki and Tambuwal’s Defection Means for the APC | NAIJ.com TV:
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- $8.1bn scandal: CBN working with MTN to resolve crisis- Minister
- Saraki's Candidate for Kwara, Razak Atunwa Reacts To NYSC Certificate "Forgery" Saga
- Good Man Beaten To Death While Trying To Stop Hoodlum From R*ping A Woman
- Presidency In Panic Over Mass Defections of APC Men In Kano
- PHOTO: 9 Die In Fatal Accident On Lagos/Ibadan Expressway
- Female Corper Gets Apology From Principal Who Flogged Her; he says it was just anger
- Abuja Rail Can't Speed Above 90km/hr Because We Don't Want To Kill Cows - Amaechi
- Jonathan Invites Buhari, Obasanjo, Atiku To Launch
- Man Turns Neighbour’s 16-Year-Old Daughter To S*x Slave
- APC Lied, We Didn’t Take Zamfara List From Them – INEC
- TEARS! Mother & Her 2 Kids, Others Perish In Terrible Accident
- Pjanic: CR7 learned simplicity from scholes
- Hamilton’s fifth title on hold as Raikkonen shocks star to victory
- Chelsea player’s must must ease burden on hazard, Willian admits
- Good Luck to Real & Barca in signing Neymar – Marquinhos
- Sarri: Chelsea Fans must respect Mourinho
- Isco: We can’t cry over Cristiano
- Barcelona President: Neymar is not welcomed
- Iniesta leaves NIKE, signs with ASCIS
- Ranked! Top 10 EPL goalkeeper’s
- Federer reveals long-standing hand injury
- Blood Flows As Fight Breaks Out At A Popular Nigerian Bar In Ghana (Graphic Photos)
- DSS Breaks Silence On Nnamdi Kanu's Escape
- Buhari's Friend & DG of VON, Osita Okechukwu hits Oshiomhole
- President Buhari Arrives in Lagos
- Ogun APC: Amosun draws battle line with Tinubu, others
- Truck accidents hurt Nigeria’s economy–Report
- DSS fighting to clear self over Kanu’s escape allegation
- Why Is Buhari Always Protecting "Corrupt" NHIS Boss?
- Supreme Court Hits Hard On APC
- Inspector General of Police's Candidate For DIG Rejected
- Ekweremadu Fights Saraki? To Work For APC, Presidency
- Why Court Order Nigeria Police To Pay Charly Boy N50mllion
- Faces of Men Arrested for Attempted Murder of Lagos Lawyer
- Peter Obi Speaks On Igbo Leaders Position On His Nomination
- Pastors, Imams Will Associate With Politicians, Criticise When Necessary - Cardinal Okogie replies Buhari
- $2.1m fraud: EFCC drags former NHIS boss, others to court
- Philip Consulting appoints new helmsman
- Buhari replies critics, inaugurate committee on AFCTA
- Ex-banker impersonates UBA customer, withdraws N8.7m