A Peoples Democratic Party lawmaker, Boma Goodhead, who challenged the DSS operatives that barricaded the National Assembly on Tuesday, tells JOHN AMEH why she lost her cool and confronted the masked men
You confronted the DSS operatives who invaded the National Assembly on Tuesday, are you not afraid that you could be shot?
When I saw what was going on yesterday (Tuesday), I just felt that it was very, very undemocratic and provocative. The reason being that you can’t come into somebody’s house or office and say you will not allow the person to enter his house or where he or she works, especially when I saw them, wearing masks. Most times when people go with masks, it’s either they are snipers or they are people who are just there for a purpose and would not want their identities to be known. That suspicion was what made me to react the way I did. So, this was a reaction of the anger within. I say enough is enough because we can’t continue in this manner.
What do you have to say to Nigerian women who want to go into politics like you?
Well, I will tell them that wherever they find themselves, nothing will be handed over to them on a platter of gold. Even in Sierra Leone, where they say oh, we are in Free Town, nothing is free in Free Town. So, fight for whatever you are looking for as a woman. If you go into the Bible, many of the women who were front liners, like Deborah, Esther, and Naomi; they were all women who stood for what they wanted. They worked hard to get what they wanted.
Can you tie what happened on Tuesday to the 2019 elections and how would you advise Nigerians to prepare for the polls?
We just have to stand up and prepare. These were the same Nigerians, who opposed the third term issue (agenda); they rose and said no! Whenever there is a problem and Nigerians come together, God rises up for us. So, there is no way you will just sit out there and do nothing. Or you just say, oh, these people will use their federal might. No, you are the might; you are the one to fight for yourself. If you come out to say, enough is enough, then nobody can truncate the democratic process in Nigeria. I am from Rivers State. I recall that we went for our re-run with action and they came with everything; all the security agencies came down there. But God prevailed. You see, when a nation cries, God will hear from heaven and fight the battle. Yesterday (Tuesday), it was just God who is with us who was fighting these people. At the end of the day, Nigerians prevailed and we prevailed over those mobsters.
The Senate President, Bukola Saraki, acknowledged your heroism during his Wednesday World Press Briefing and you received a standing ovation. How did that make you feel?
I will tell you the truth. It wasn’t about me. It was about Nigeria. It was about fighting to protect democracy in Nigeria. It’s not about Boma Goodhead; there were lots of us out there yesterday (on Tuesday). But someone had to take the lead. So, it was not just me. It was about Nigeria. That was why we went that far.
Did you ever think you would be in politics while growing up?
No, I never did.
How did you come into politics?
Well, a great leader brought me into politics and I will forever be grateful to that great leader.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Saraki attends launch of Trump’s Africa Strategy in US
- Flying Eagles turn back Ghana, reach WAFU Cup semi finals
- Who owns Nigeria football? The investor or the promoter? —Wale Ajayi
- Barewa to face Cowrie at Rugby President Cup final
- Arowolo quits 3SC for politics
- NRA ultimate goal is for Nigeria Referees to officiate at World Cup–Azeez
- Uche Okagbue becomes head coach of FC Ifeanyi Ubah
- Buhari wants teachers’ retirement age raised
- Brilliant Female Graduates Break 21-Year Record At Obafemi Awolowo University
- Donald Duke's Running Mate, Junaid Mohammed Quits
- Mother & 15yrs Old Daughter Sleeping With Ex-Commissioner... he has been arrested over the girl's pregnancies, abortions
- Dunamis Church Donates Relief Materials To IDPs
- PDP alleges plans by FG to cripple PDP-controlled states
- Senate Confirms Keyamo, other nominees for NDIC Board
- Environment Minister, Ibrahim Jubril Resigns
- Kogi legislator loses seat for defecting to PDP
- Ambode is my Politician of the Year – Shettima
- More troubles for Trump as court jails associate for fraud
- NB Plc to apologise over misleading information on product
- Husband, Wife, Mother-in-law Arraigned For Stealing N2.4m
- Ex-SGF Babachir In Aso Rock, 13 Months After Sack
- Beautiful Pre-wedding Photos Of A Sailor & His Fiancée
- 24 Yahoo Boys Busted By EFCC Arraigned In Court (Photos)
- Aisha Buhari Hosts Nigerian Entertainers In Aso Rock (Photos)
- Shock As Woman Is Caught Trying To Behead Her Daughter In Delta (Photos)
- Driver Who Absconded With Boss' Vehicle Busted
- First Gold Refinery In Nigeria Coming Up
- Polytechnic Lecturers Begin Indefinite Strike
- See Ammunitions Soldiers Recover From Gunrunners
- FIRS Generates N5trn So Far In 2018, Sets Take Break Record
- Woman Cries After Man Brings Police To Take Over Her Father's House A Week After His Death
- You Were Handpicked To Contest - Jimi Agbaje tells Sanwo-Olu
- My Wife Died During A Fight In My Dream, says man seeking for divorce in Lagos
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- APC Will Pay Dearly For Stopping Me - Minister Adebayo Shittu
- Fresh Graduate Waiting for NYSC Stabbed to Death by Girlfriend
- APC Won't Have Candidates In Rivers; Appeal Court Confirms
- 'I Thought Breast Cancer Is For Only Rich People Until It Hit Me'
- APC, PDP Reps Clash over Buhari's Refusal to Sign Electoral Bill
- Good Man Tortured By Police For Trying To Free Extortion Victim In Lagos