A Peoples Democratic Party lawmaker, Boma Goodhead, who challenged the DSS operatives that barricaded the National Assembly on Tuesday, tells JOHN AMEH why she lost her cool and confronted the masked men
You confronted the DSS operatives who invaded the National Assembly on Tuesday, are you not afraid that you could be shot?
When I saw what was going on yesterday (Tuesday), I just felt that it was very, very undemocratic and provocative. The reason being that you can’t come into somebody’s house or office and say you will not allow the person to enter his house or where he or she works, especially when I saw them, wearing masks. Most times when people go with masks, it’s either they are snipers or they are people who are just there for a purpose and would not want their identities to be known. That suspicion was what made me to react the way I did. So, this was a reaction of the anger within. I say enough is enough because we can’t continue in this manner.
What do you have to say to Nigerian women who want to go into politics like you?
Well, I will tell them that wherever they find themselves, nothing will be handed over to them on a platter of gold. Even in Sierra Leone, where they say oh, we are in Free Town, nothing is free in Free Town. So, fight for whatever you are looking for as a woman. If you go into the Bible, many of the women who were front liners, like Deborah, Esther, and Naomi; they were all women who stood for what they wanted. They worked hard to get what they wanted.
Can you tie what happened on Tuesday to the 2019 elections and how would you advise Nigerians to prepare for the polls?
We just have to stand up and prepare. These were the same Nigerians, who opposed the third term issue (agenda); they rose and said no! Whenever there is a problem and Nigerians come together, God rises up for us. So, there is no way you will just sit out there and do nothing. Or you just say, oh, these people will use their federal might. No, you are the might; you are the one to fight for yourself. If you come out to say, enough is enough, then nobody can truncate the democratic process in Nigeria. I am from Rivers State. I recall that we went for our re-run with action and they came with everything; all the security agencies came down there. But God prevailed. You see, when a nation cries, God will hear from heaven and fight the battle. Yesterday (Tuesday), it was just God who is with us who was fighting these people. At the end of the day, Nigerians prevailed and we prevailed over those mobsters.
The Senate President, Bukola Saraki, acknowledged your heroism during his Wednesday World Press Briefing and you received a standing ovation. How did that make you feel?
I will tell you the truth. It wasn’t about me. It was about Nigeria. It was about fighting to protect democracy in Nigeria. It’s not about Boma Goodhead; there were lots of us out there yesterday (on Tuesday). But someone had to take the lead. So, it was not just me. It was about Nigeria. That was why we went that far.
Did you ever think you would be in politics while growing up?
No, I never did.
How did you come into politics?
Well, a great leader brought me into politics and I will forever be grateful to that great leader.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Governor Ganduje In Trouble As Kano Assembly Begins Action
- First Photos of Ooni Of Ife With His Beautiful Bride in His Palace
- Fayose's Lawyer Reveals What He's Doing To Get Him Out
- Buhari Hosts Kannywood Actors In Aso Rock (Photos)
- PHOTOS: Nnamdi Kanu Spotted In Jerusalem
- APC Defies INEC, Submits Candidates For Zamfara
- Dangerous drug for diabetes, cancer in circulation, says NIA
- Oni of Ife sets for another marriage
- 2019: PDP agenda for Saraki forwarded to INEC
- Presidential race 2019: Re-structuring a condition for supporting any candidate – Aare Ganiyu Adams
- Lagos Assembly scraps Visionscape
- Etebo seals image rights deal with Myron Topclass Sport Outfits
- Police arrest fake lawyer for false information
- NFF President,Governor Bako Lalong to receive football awards in South Africa
- PDP Members Protest Over Osun Election Tribunal
- Fraud: NHIS boss reinstated by Buhari suspended indefinitely
- Sacked Policeman & His Gang Arrested Over Woman’s Murder
- Nigerian Students Made Generator Running On Water (Photos)
- Brilliant Student Going Home After Final Exams Dies In Crash
- Ooni Of Ife Unveils His New Beautiful Queen (Photos)
- Polaris Bank battles for survival
- Zenith Bank gross earnings drop
- LCCI lauds Dangote over oil refinery project, others
- Did EFCC Chairman Say Nothing Will Happen If Fayose Die?
- NYSC Member Dies Just A Day Before Passing Out
- Ambode Challenged By Lagos Assembly, As House Orders PSP To Resume Work
- Popular notorious cultist Small Jpron killed in Lagos over Cash from Top Politician
- Buhari's Plan To Win In 2019... How Atiku Will Defeat Him
- PDP Submits Saraki’s Name To INEC As Senatorial Candidate
- Fashola Repents? Electricity issues can’t be solved by magic
- Armed Robber Storms Lagos Church... Caught and Disarmed
- New Minimum Wage: "We Can't Pay" - Governors
- Father Reports His 'Yahoo' Son to EFCC after He Bought House Worth Millions (Photo)
- Checkout Out New Made-in-Nigeria Keke
- Faces Of Kidnappers Who Ran To Lagos To Share Money After Abducting Woman
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How A Boy Almost Got Killed By His Cake At His Birthday Party
- NLO will use Division 3 Playoff to correct past errors – Ogunnowo
- NBBF to refresh referees
- What Ighalo decided before Libya match