Barely one week after 11 persons reportedly died of a suspected cholera outbreak in Bebeji Local Government Area of Kano State, a similar outbreak has been recorded in Gwarzo Local Government Area of the state, which had claimed about eight lives, with 20 others hospitalised.
According to an eyewitness, Ibrahim Sale, six deaths were recorded in about four villages.
When contacted, the Chairman of Gwarzo Local Government Area, Bashir Kutama, and the District Head of Gwarzo, Alhaji Shehu Bayero, confirmed the suspected cholera outbreak, saying that eight persons have died of the disease, while the council had procured some drugs to support the patients.
Efforts to reach the Commissioner for Health, Dr Kabiru Getso, and the spokesman of the ministry, Ismaila Gwammaja, on the telephone were unsuccessful, as of the time of filing this report.
Meanwhile, the ministry had earlier denied the suspected outbreak of cholera in Bebeji, insisting that the incident was caused by diarrhoea.
In another development, students at the Bayero University Kano staged a peaceful protest on Saturday, demanding that the school authorities should beef up security on campus, especially at the female hostels, following incessant assailants’ attacks within the premises.
This came hours after a female student was robbed, stabbed and left unconscious at about 3am on Saturday.
In his reaction, the university’s Dean of Student Affairs, Dr. Shamsudeen Umar, said the victim was responding to treatment, as the Vice- Chancellor, Professor Muhammad Bello has directed that adequate attention be given to her.
He said that the VC also directed that the perimeter fence of the female hostels should be fortified, and the premises illuminated, so as to enhance security.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Man Utd won’t win title with Lukaku
- Chelsea determined not to let Hazard join Real
- Akpabio tackles Saraki
- Police, robbers in gun battle, 2 dead
- Bride Who Looked Sad On Wedding Day, Goes On Honeymoon, Kisses Hubby Happily
- Senior Police Officers: 3 AIGs promoted to DIGs, 4 CPs to AIGs
- Drunk Nigerian Governor’s Son Crushes 6 Persons In Ghastly Motor Accident (Photos)
- IG of Police Can Be Jailed for Seizing Dino Melaye's Passport?
- 3 Story Building Collapses In Anambra, 11 Trapped (Photos)
- Skye Bank’s fall: The Inside story
- Can Atiku revives Nigeria’s struggling economy
- Missing General: Update On The Army's Actions
- Pretty Lady Goes Missing Just One Week To Her Wedding
- Ooni Of Ife Celebrates His 44th Birthday In Style (Photos)
- MUSON to host 22nd Music Festival
- Spain falls, Eagles Soar: Ighalo shares fate with Sterling
- Alexx Ekubo, IK Ogbonna collaborate with other celebs on a PVC awareness program
- Mafikizolo features Wizkid, Yemi Alade
- Chelsea vs Manchester United: What Sarri must know about Mourinho before match day
- Why 2 EPL players will never forgive Sergio Ramos
- What every woman must know about their bra
- Dining, managing your High Blood Pressure: drinks, foods to shun
- Proper treatment for mouth odour
- 7 ways of keeping a healthy erection
- ‘Cultist’ Threatens To ‘Kill’ Lagos DPO
- Court Stops APC From Sending Delta Cndidates’ List To INEC
- "My Brother Was Tortured By Lagos Police To Coma"
- See Properties EFCC Said They Traced To Fayose; to seek order for total forfeiture
- Lady Shares Her Robbery Experience In Lagos Traffic (Photos)
- "We Won't Accept It" - Labour reacts to "No Work, No Pay"
- Djinee recovers from serious auto crash
- Secret of Ighalo’s goal scoring form
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Atiku Commiserates With Abia Pipeline Explosion Victims, Donates N10million
- Assassination? Innoson Chairman Lawyer Shot 3 Times (Pics)
- Akpabio Warns Saraki: Resign Now Or We Force You Out
- EFCC To Detain Fayose For 2 More Weeks... he's suing them
- Presidency Threatens Labour: Henceforth, No Work, No Pay If You Go On Strike
- APC Headquarters Sets For Showdown With INEC Today
- Notorious Ritual Agents Who Dig Out Corpses Nabbed