Barely one week after 11 persons reportedly died of a suspected cholera outbreak in Bebeji Local Government Area of Kano State, a similar outbreak has been recorded in Gwarzo Local Government Area of the state, which had claimed about eight lives, with 20 others hospitalised.
According to an eyewitness, Ibrahim Sale, six deaths were recorded in about four villages.
When contacted, the Chairman of Gwarzo Local Government Area, Bashir Kutama, and the District Head of Gwarzo, Alhaji Shehu Bayero, confirmed the suspected cholera outbreak, saying that eight persons have died of the disease, while the council had procured some drugs to support the patients.
Efforts to reach the Commissioner for Health, Dr Kabiru Getso, and the spokesman of the ministry, Ismaila Gwammaja, on the telephone were unsuccessful, as of the time of filing this report.
Meanwhile, the ministry had earlier denied the suspected outbreak of cholera in Bebeji, insisting that the incident was caused by diarrhoea.
In another development, students at the Bayero University Kano staged a peaceful protest on Saturday, demanding that the school authorities should beef up security on campus, especially at the female hostels, following incessant assailants’ attacks within the premises.
This came hours after a female student was robbed, stabbed and left unconscious at about 3am on Saturday.
In his reaction, the university’s Dean of Student Affairs, Dr. Shamsudeen Umar, said the victim was responding to treatment, as the Vice- Chancellor, Professor Muhammad Bello has directed that adequate attention be given to her.
He said that the VC also directed that the perimeter fence of the female hostels should be fortified, and the premises illuminated, so as to enhance security.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Lagos and the garbage question
- Rising political tension responsible for capital market woes – Don
- Yemi Alade breaks internet with her near-nude photos
- Pageantry: 10 Minutes With Winner Of Mr And Mrs. Aviation
- Simi Live In Late Lagos: Good, bad and ugly
- Rich 70yrs Old Alhaji Marries 15-Year-Old Nigerian Girl (Photos)
- Break Traffic Laws In Lagos and Get 3 Years Imprisonment - Lagos Govt. Warns
- 19-Year-Old Nigerian Breaks Record In US Air Force (Photos)
- Buhari Challenged By PDP: Probe Your Associates, Relatives Involved In Corruption
- OBJ Replies Presidency: Allow Me Focus On Supporting Atiku
- Wife Who Killed Nigerian Traditional Ruler Sentenced To Death
- Reactions As Buhari Excludes S-East and S-South From EFCC
- Lekan Shonde asks court to reduce charge to manslaughter over wife's murder case
- Put Nigeria First In Conducting 2019 Election - Buhari to INEC
- Did Oshiomhole Attack Aisha Buhari Over Her Comment?
- Deadly Gunmen Hijack Bus Loaded With Nigerians Travelling
- Thank You For Returning Stolen Funds - Buhari To Swiss Govt
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Boki confers first chieftaincy title in 30yrs on UNICAL VC
- This is why north will gain more from restructuring – Kukah
- US dismisses Jonathan’s allegations against Obama
- Youths may use NYSC, degree certificates as collateral for loans
- Army replies ICC over war crimes allegation
- EFCC arrests ex-Skye Bank Chairman for fraud
- Jubilation as police arrest suspected cultist leader in Osun
- Nigeria customs seizes goods worth N2.7 billion within 4weeks
- Buhari writes the Senate on why he declined the electoral amendment bill
- Ex-commissioner of police urges FG to strengthen country’s border
- Why I Did Not Attend Peace Accord Signing In Abuja - Atiku
- Why I Refused To Sign Amended Electoral Bill - Buhari
- I Will Turn Lagos Waters To Money, says Jimi Agbaje
- Buhari, Atiku To Sign Peace Accord
- PDP in Ekiti condemns public hearing on the finances of local governments
- Saraki condemns use of security agents to disenfranchised voters
- FG files charges against permanent secretary, director over alleged land fraud
- Bad luck for APC as Kastina Rep member dumps party for PDP
- Kante: I don’t want attention on my personality
- Barca to equal Bayern’s UCL record with win against Spurs
- De Jong denies PSG’s contract agreement
- Abdidal to meet Dembele over disciplinary issues