A party chieftain, Emmanuel Sam, said on Thursday that he would not accept Akpabio as the party leader.
He said, “We cannot be led by a man who was brutal to us. We have not forgotten that his brutality made some members of the defunct Action Congress of Nigeria to move into what is called the APC today. He can never lead us. We will resist it.”
Akpabio on Wednesday formally defected to the APC from the Peoples Democratic Party.
Another chieftain of the party in Itu, Obong Mike Edem, said every right-thinking person in the party wouldn’t allow Akpabio to superintend over them.
He said, “He cannot be our leader. He will be contradicting himself because he cannot reject a skewed reward system which favours newcomers in his former party, yet wants to be rewarded in the APC through similar skewed arrangement.”
Edem added that they wouldn’t work with Akpabio because he persecuted them before they left the PDP.
A group, Akwa Ibom Progressives Watch, also stated that the APC would be more disunited under Akpabio if he was made leader of the party in the state.
The group at a press conference by its chairman, Mr. Innocent Sylvanus, on Thursday, warned that many people who left the PDP for the APC because of Akpabio’s impunity would be unwilling to work with him.
He said, “It will be a disaster to allow Akpabio lead the party. We want the national leader and chairman of the party to know this.’’
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Quitting Super Eagles: Uncovering why Victor Moses takes a bow, premature departure
- Breaking: Victor Moses retires
- Kante: ‘World Cup achievements, beyond my dreams’
- Saraki considers running against Buhari in 2019
- Arthur, the new Barcelona’s Xavi Hernandez
- Ramos mocks Jurgen Klopp’s record in cup finals
- Eden Hazard verus Mesut Ozil ahead of EPL clash
- Guendouzi: Arsenal can win EPL title
- Give us courts to develop beach soccer— Nimrod begs el-Rufai
- Osinbajo to meet NFF President over crisis
- 018 NYG: Team Oyo picks 4 slots at S/west zonal eliminations
- INEC Chairman Presents 2019 INEC Budget To Senate (Photos)
- Landlord Who Led Armed Robbers To Rob Neighbour Arrested
- INEC to feed police with N6bn in 2019 polls
- Experts worry over rising cyber security poverty line in Nigeria
- Driver crushes LASTMA officer
- GTBank to increase loan book by 10%
- Zinedine Zidane is replacing one of the Manchester Clubs
- Student Who Scored 364 In JAMB Receives N5m Cash (Photo)
- Presidency Speaks On Buhari Extending 10-day London Vacation
- SARS Caught "Extorting Passengers" Despite Osinbajo's Order
- Female Corper Knocked Down By Reckless Driver In Lagos
- Story Of Abuja Wild Forest Where "All Kinds Of Things" Happen
- Oil prices down by 13% over growing US crude inventories
- MTN secures N200bn loan from Diamond bank, 11 others
- Pastor's Wife Attacked For Brutalizing Her Little Maid (Maid)
- Kemi Adeosun's Certificate: SERAP Drags NYSC Boss To Court
- Fraudster Impersonating Nollywood Actor To Defraud People Arrested In Lagos
- 2019: Tinubu tackles Obasanjo
- Police lost 15 operatives to Bandits in two months; families demand compensation
- Investors panic as prices of Bitcoin, others plummet
- Nigeria’s inflation drops again in July
- Update On How 35 Died As Bridge Collapsed In Italy (Photos)
- Buhari To Take Action On New DSS Boss and Daura
- Thief Arrested While Preparing Pepper Soup With Stolen Goat
- The Leadership In Nigeria Today Has Lost Focus - IBB
- 2019: I’m not desperate to be President – Atiku
- Tension in Abuja: US Embassy shuts Visa, Consular Services indefinitely
- Odili, Ekpu @ 70: Of patriarchs and their progenies
- Minister’s certificate forgery scam: SERAP sues NYSC over failure to publish Adeosun’s ‘exemption certificate’