A party chieftain, Emmanuel Sam, said on Thursday that he would not accept Akpabio as the party leader.
He said, “We cannot be led by a man who was brutal to us. We have not forgotten that his brutality made some members of the defunct Action Congress of Nigeria to move into what is called the APC today. He can never lead us. We will resist it.”
Akpabio on Wednesday formally defected to the APC from the Peoples Democratic Party.
Another chieftain of the party in Itu, Obong Mike Edem, said every right-thinking person in the party wouldn’t allow Akpabio to superintend over them.
He said, “He cannot be our leader. He will be contradicting himself because he cannot reject a skewed reward system which favours newcomers in his former party, yet wants to be rewarded in the APC through similar skewed arrangement.”
Edem added that they wouldn’t work with Akpabio because he persecuted them before they left the PDP.
A group, Akwa Ibom Progressives Watch, also stated that the APC would be more disunited under Akpabio if he was made leader of the party in the state.
The group at a press conference by its chairman, Mr. Innocent Sylvanus, on Thursday, warned that many people who left the PDP for the APC because of Akpabio’s impunity would be unwilling to work with him.
He said, “It will be a disaster to allow Akpabio lead the party. We want the national leader and chairman of the party to know this.’’
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Lagos and the garbage question
- Rising political tension responsible for capital market woes – Don
- Yemi Alade breaks internet with her near-nude photos
- Pageantry: 10 Minutes With Winner Of Mr And Mrs. Aviation
- Simi Live In Late Lagos: Good, bad and ugly
- Rich 70yrs Old Alhaji Marries 15-Year-Old Nigerian Girl (Photos)
- Break Traffic Laws In Lagos and Get 3 Years Imprisonment - Lagos Govt. Warns
- 19-Year-Old Nigerian Breaks Record In US Air Force (Photos)
- Buhari Challenged By PDP: Probe Your Associates, Relatives Involved In Corruption
- OBJ Replies Presidency: Allow Me Focus On Supporting Atiku
- Wife Who Killed Nigerian Traditional Ruler Sentenced To Death
- Reactions As Buhari Excludes S-East and S-South From EFCC
- Lekan Shonde asks court to reduce charge to manslaughter over wife's murder case
- Put Nigeria First In Conducting 2019 Election - Buhari to INEC
- Did Oshiomhole Attack Aisha Buhari Over Her Comment?
- Deadly Gunmen Hijack Bus Loaded With Nigerians Travelling
- Thank You For Returning Stolen Funds - Buhari To Swiss Govt
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Boki confers first chieftaincy title in 30yrs on UNICAL VC
- This is why north will gain more from restructuring – Kukah
- US dismisses Jonathan’s allegations against Obama
- Youths may use NYSC, degree certificates as collateral for loans
- Army replies ICC over war crimes allegation
- EFCC arrests ex-Skye Bank Chairman for fraud
- Jubilation as police arrest suspected cultist leader in Osun
- Nigeria customs seizes goods worth N2.7 billion within 4weeks
- Buhari writes the Senate on why he declined the electoral amendment bill
- Ex-commissioner of police urges FG to strengthen country’s border
- Why I Did Not Attend Peace Accord Signing In Abuja - Atiku
- Why I Refused To Sign Amended Electoral Bill - Buhari
- I Will Turn Lagos Waters To Money, says Jimi Agbaje
- Buhari, Atiku To Sign Peace Accord
- PDP in Ekiti condemns public hearing on the finances of local governments
- Saraki condemns use of security agents to disenfranchised voters
- FG files charges against permanent secretary, director over alleged land fraud
- Bad luck for APC as Kastina Rep member dumps party for PDP
- Kante: I don’t want attention on my personality
- Barca to equal Bayern’s UCL record with win against Spurs
- De Jong denies PSG’s contract agreement
- Abdidal to meet Dembele over disciplinary issues