The competition was scheduled to hold in Mexico from Aug. 13 to Aug. 19.
NAN reports that the students are expected to leave Nigeria for Mexico on Saturday evening to join the 193 teams from 187 countries for the competition.
A team of seven students that represented the country in the maiden edition of the competition in Washington DC, U.S in 2017, came third out of 41 African countries that participated in the competition.
They were ranked 25th out of 162 countries across the world and they also got two other awards.
The students, in interviews with NAN, said that their sacrifices, hard work and commitment during the preparation gave them assurance of winning gold medals.
A 16-year-old Anjolaoluwa Olowokere of Lagoon Secondary School, Aja, Lagos, said that the team had worked hard in planning, designing and building their robotics.
“This is a global robotic competition and the team is well prepared for it.
“We are extremely happy to represent the country. We are going to bring home three gold medals.
“I am confident we will get a gold medal in the ‘Zhangzheng Award of Engineering Design’, one of the award categories.
“It is an award given to the country or team with the best engineering design of robotics.
“Another award category, I am confident of is the ‘First Global Alliance Award’ where three teams or countries come together to form an alliance where the best country wins.
“We can only hope that with everything we have done and with God on our side, we will come out victorious,” Olowokere said.
Also, Dodie Iroaganachi, 17 of Queens College, Lagos, said: “ We hope to come out top 10 among the 193 teams from 187 countries,’’ Iroaganachi said.
Commenting, Samuel Mbah, 16 of Osezele Comprehensive Senior School, Lagos, said that the team would perform creditably well in the competition.
Mbah said that they had put in their best during preparation for the competition, adding that they would make the country and their sponsors, Aramex Technology, proud.
Also, Faisal Jarmakani, the Managing Director of Aramex and Doculand Nig., had at a news conference in Lagos, said that the 2018 challenge in Mexico would be on “Energy Impact”.
According to him, competitors will be expected to solve problems related to energy with the use of robotics.
Jarmakani said that all the students were building foundation blocks for a technology-advanced Nigeria.
“Without any doubt, we will soon join other countries of the world where science and technology have become the backbone of economic development,’’ he said. (NAN)
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- 2019: APC should make up its mind on the lie to tell Nigerians – PDP
- 2019: Igbo Leaders endorse Atiku for President
- Bribery scandal: Governor sues newspaper for N3bn
- EFCC seizes properties of Fayose, Diezani, others
- I crave more experience in NPFL —Cameronian coach
- Ehibam Griefshare Foundation partners with Edo state Rugby
- Icheen set for best Women’s Pro-League
- Paul Bassey harps on discipline, professionalism as Akwa United intensify pres-season training
- The most unsettling Tramadol import in years uncovered at Apapa
- Death in the flour: If amala is not your favourite, don’t read this
- How Lagos Police Inspector Killed Man, Stole 2 Sienna Buses
- Man Paints His Beautiful Wife-to-be In Cute Pre-Wedding Pic
- Nigerian Man Killed 24 Hours After Returning From London For Child’s Wedding
- DSS Asks Buhari To Prosecute Oshiomhole Over Dollars?
- Possibility Of Lagos-Abuja 45 Minutes Fast Train
- Jordi Alba: I have no bust up with Enrique
- MTN closes in on $800m Nigeria settlement
- Petroleum bill faces fresh hitch
- Nigerians spend over four hours on the Internet daily
- Fayemi demands refund of N21bn spent on federal roads
- Youth group task party stakeholders against alteration of mandate
- Maradona: Guardiola is just so lucky, Mourinho is way better
- Asensio: I can’t carry Madrid on my shoulders
- Mbappe gives honest opinion about PSG’s UCL ambitions
- Allison: I have to justify my price tag
- Commotion In Anambra House Of Assembly As Policemen Teargas Lawmaker, Others
- About 100 Buhari Campaign Buses Spotted In Lagos
- Atiku Reveals How He Plans To "Make Nigeria Work Again"
- Popular Channels TV Anchor, Maupe Ogun Gives Birth In US
- Comedienne Helen Paul Shows Her Beautiful Family
- What The DSS Report Revealed About Oshiomhole
- Yinka Ayefele's Music House Being Reconstructed By Govt.
- Police doles out millions to wives of slain officers
- Navy’s ex-account chief forfeits millions to EFCC
- Nwabueze, Atiku in emotional vapouring that could make APC jealous
- ZLP presidential candidate backs out, snatches senatorial ticket from member
- Water from the rot
- Married Man Taking Care Of Me Has Infected Me With HIV – Lagos Lady Cries Out
- Saraki Replies Oshiomhole: You Should Not Even Be Talking After "Collecting Dollars"
- TraderMoni A Trick For APC Vote-buying? Case Goes To Court