– INEC presiding officer in veterinary polling unit, Faiza Mohammed, says turnout of women for the Bauchi south senatorial by-election was impressive
– Four women decline to comment after chanting campaign slogans of President Buhari while casting vote in the poll
– Intimidation ballot snatching reportedly mar Kogi bye-election
Some female voters at a polling unit in Bauchi caused a stir when each of them kissed her ballot paper and shouted “Sai Baba” before casting her vote.
Their action raised suspicions that the women might have mistaken the Bauchi south senatorial by-election for the forthcoming general election, which will feature President Muhammadu Buhari as a contestant.
“Sai Baba” is the common phrase used by supporters of President Buhari while campaigning for him.
The women declined to comment when contacted by NAN.
The presiding officer in charge of the polling unit, Faiza Mohammed, however said turnout of women was impressive, with some of them, over-enthusiastic.
“The women are very excited and eager to cast their votes; some of them were kissing their ballot papers and shouting ‘sai Baba’ before casting their votes.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app
“I do not know which ‘Baba’ they are referring to,” she said.
Meanwhile, the bye-election to fill the vacant seat in the Lokoja-Kogi federal constituency which started on a peaceful note on Saturday, August 11, was later marred by violence, vote buying and intimidation in Lokoja.
Although policemen and other security agents were seen at the police stations, they looked the other way, while thugs terrorised people.
At the polling unit at Paparanda Square, voting could not hold as thugs invaded the venue, snatching election materials and beating up people queuing to vote.
The same scenario played out at polling units at Mary Primary School, Karaworo, Adnakolo and Crowther Secondary School, where thugs also disrupted voting.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Giwa didn’t win any election— Jones-Ere
- Jose Mourinho: Man Utd manager says Man City ‘cannot buy class’
- Lionel Messi’s brother sentenced for possessing illegal firearm.
- D’Tigress bury hatchet; focus on World Cup preparation
- Lawmaker calls for NASS budget probe under Saraki
- Doctor convicted of sexual assault of patient gets probation
- Defection: Tambuwal govt in disarray as oath taking scatters administration
- Nigerian top runner hails Lagos Media Marathon
- EFCC opens fresh probe of Saraki
- 2019: PDP at crossroads
- Nigeria envoy wants citizens banned from Saudi Arabia
- Nigeria’s economy still struggling, says expert
- House deputy Speaker fumes, states position on defection from APC
- Yinka Ayefele’s FM Continues Broadcasting Despite Demolition
- See How A Female Soldier Brutalize Her Househelp In Lagos
- FIFA Ban : Who can save Nigeria from herself ?
- Oyo state government demolishes Yinka Ayefele’s radio station
- FCMB staff abscond with N500m customers’ deposits
- Buhari writes to NASS, threatens to jail anybody found corrupt
- Buhari’s Kinsmen Pressurising Him To Reinstate Sacked Daura — Junaid Mohammed
- Police Headquarters To Conduct Psychiatric Test On SARS
- Craziest thing I’ve done was slapping my father – Femi Adebayo
- Killer Herdsmen Engage Soldiers In Heavy Shoot Out
- PHOTOS: Yinka Ayefele's Building Demolished By Oyo Government
- Okorocha Facing Tough Times In Bid For His Son-in-Law
- I am not happy taking key players to foreign clubs –Coach Boboye
- I want NPFL to kick off —Coach Fidelis
- Kada City James Joseph, 3 others jet out for trials in Dubai, Turkey
- Club owners , others storm Imo for Heartland FC boss
- Wilder ready for Fury this year
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Top Tips For Pregnant Travellers
- Female Presidential aspirant, Eunice Atuejide suspended by party over "corruption"
- Nigerian Who Escaped Death Penalty In Malaysia, Re-Arrested
- Sad Tales Of Delta Schoolgirls Lured Into Pros-titution In Lagos
- Buhari Returns To Aso Rock, Moves To Take Action On Daura
- Where there are women, there will be evil – Actress Liz Anjorin
- Saraki, Dogara Plan Joint Session To Avert Impeachment?
- Tears Of Nigerian Journalists: The Gory Tales Under Buhari
- NRA promotion exam holds