By Anthony Ogbonna
Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki and his Deputy, Ike Ekweremadu have raised the alarm that the Federal Government has, according to them, commenced the execution of a plot to implicate them and their colleagues in the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) for the last Tuesday Invasion of the premises of the National Assembly by men of the Department of State Services (DSS).
In a statement signed by their media aides, Yusuph Olaniyonu and Uche Anichukwu, the two legislative leaders stated, after receiving the interim report submitted by the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mr. Idris Ibrahim, that the Presidency has, Friday, constituted a closet panel to review the report and submit a final recommendation.
The mandate of this closet panel, the two legislators stated, “is to turn facts on the head and blame the invasion of the National Assembly on the two leaders of the Red Chamber of the National Assembly, who will then be presented as having worked in tandem with the sacked Director General of the DSS, Mallam Lawal Daura to stage the parliamentary security breach.”
The statement partly reads thus:
“We have been reliably informed that instead of the Presidency to set up a public inquiry or judicial commission to probe last Tuesday’s early morning Invasion of the National Assembly as being demanded by the general public, they have commenced a process of manipulation and fabrication.
“The Presidency has set up a closet panel, which would work to a predetermined conclusion in which they will now claim that the Senate President and the Deputy Senate President worked in collusion with ex-DG of DSS, Lawal Daura to stage the invasion.
“They want to shield the fact that the previous night before the invasion and up till the early hours of Tuesday, there was a meeting of the All Progressives Congress (APC) senators and that the plan was for them to be moved in a coaster bus into the National Assembly complex later that morning for them to purportedly remove us and select a new Senate President and Deputy Senate President.
“Their plot only failed because the media, particularly social media, Nigerians and international community responded very swiftly as some legislators who came into the complex were refused entry by gun-wielding, hooded security operatives.
“Now, they want to turn the facts on its head and blame us for their botched plot against democracy. We are hereby alerting all Nigerians and members of the international community that the present Nigerian government will stop at nothing to destroy, suppress and incapacitate the opposition. This is their new tactic and plot as we approach the period of the 2019 polls.
“We hereby reiterate our earlier position that the coup against democracy as represented by last week’s invasion must be probed through an independent judicial commission of inquiry which will produce a comprehensive report. We reject any manipulated and fabricated investigation,” Saraki and Ekweremadu stated.
The presiding officers added that they have also uncovered what they described as a sinister plot in which the government plans to use the anti-graft and security agencies to incarcerate them and some members of their families from next week, all in a bid to break their will and effect their removal.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Female Corper Flogged Mercilessly By School Principal
- Shehu Sani Dumps APC... Gives Reasons
- Five-Star Jovic makes Bundesliga history
- Real Madrid striker denies involvement in alleged kidnapping attempt in Paris
- Klopp draws Anthony Joshua comparison in criticism of Nations League
- Court rejects Russian footballers’ appeal over attack
- Ghana withdraws from CAF competitions
- See How Buhari’s Poor Performance Is Elevating Atiku
- Ekweremadu May Dump PDP?
- Woman Cries Bitterly After Being Scammed By Yahoo Boy
- Saudi Arabia admits missing journalist died in Consulate
- N8.86bn debt: Bank battles late billionaire’s family
- Tenis star Sharapova confirms romance with Prince william
- Alexis Sanchez at Man Utd is a typical Torres at Chelsea – Carragher
- Copa del’ Rey decisive fixtures
- EFCC Keeps Mum On Gov. Ganduje Bribe Video
- Atiku Meets Yoruba Leaders Over Top Political Offices
- PDP Warns INEC Against Receiving Unauthorized Names
- Confusion over Travel Ban List as Presidency, Security differ
- NAFDAC Searching For Drugs Made From Human Flesh
- EFCC stacks allegation, evidence against Fayose in court
- 900 retirees die waiting for pension
- Ooni Reveals Why He Married A Prophetess (Photos)
- Fayose Charged With Fraud By EFCC, Moved To Lagos
- Delta State University Graduate Climbs A Mast After Running Mad (Photo)
- I Don’t Know Bola Tinubu’s Position In APC – Obasanjo
- Windscreens Cracked As Hailstones Rain Down On Cars From The Sky In Abuja
- Minimum Wage: Ngge Says Labour Can't Dictate To Govt.
- Police Drags Adeleke To Court, Says "We're Not Aware Of Kemi Adeosun Forgery"
- N2.1bn Case: Face Dasuki, Not I - Dokpesi Tells Court
- Amosun Dares APC, Insists On Handing Over To His Candidate
- See Reactions To Nnamdi Kanu's Appearance In Jerusalem
- Photos Of VP Osinbajo Visiting Bayelsa Flood Victims
- Popular Actor Okon Lagos and His Beautiful Wife Celebrate 5th Wedding Anniversary
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- SFU exposes bank staffers, criminals forging ATM cards
- Splinter group emerges in APC
- 2019: Buhari remembers Jonathan, tells Kannywood his surprise
- Usain Bolt, Valletta contract goes south
- Injured trio return to training for Liverpool