By Anthony Ogbonna
Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki and his Deputy, Ike Ekweremadu have raised the alarm that the Federal Government has, according to them, commenced the execution of a plot to implicate them and their colleagues in the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) for the last Tuesday Invasion of the premises of the National Assembly by men of the Department of State Services (DSS).
In a statement signed by their media aides, Yusuph Olaniyonu and Uche Anichukwu, the two legislative leaders stated, after receiving the interim report submitted by the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mr. Idris Ibrahim, that the Presidency has, Friday, constituted a closet panel to review the report and submit a final recommendation.
The mandate of this closet panel, the two legislators stated, “is to turn facts on the head and blame the invasion of the National Assembly on the two leaders of the Red Chamber of the National Assembly, who will then be presented as having worked in tandem with the sacked Director General of the DSS, Mallam Lawal Daura to stage the parliamentary security breach.”
The statement partly reads thus:
“We have been reliably informed that instead of the Presidency to set up a public inquiry or judicial commission to probe last Tuesday’s early morning Invasion of the National Assembly as being demanded by the general public, they have commenced a process of manipulation and fabrication.
“The Presidency has set up a closet panel, which would work to a predetermined conclusion in which they will now claim that the Senate President and the Deputy Senate President worked in collusion with ex-DG of DSS, Lawal Daura to stage the invasion.
“They want to shield the fact that the previous night before the invasion and up till the early hours of Tuesday, there was a meeting of the All Progressives Congress (APC) senators and that the plan was for them to be moved in a coaster bus into the National Assembly complex later that morning for them to purportedly remove us and select a new Senate President and Deputy Senate President.
“Their plot only failed because the media, particularly social media, Nigerians and international community responded very swiftly as some legislators who came into the complex were refused entry by gun-wielding, hooded security operatives.
“Now, they want to turn the facts on its head and blame us for their botched plot against democracy. We are hereby alerting all Nigerians and members of the international community that the present Nigerian government will stop at nothing to destroy, suppress and incapacitate the opposition. This is their new tactic and plot as we approach the period of the 2019 polls.
“We hereby reiterate our earlier position that the coup against democracy as represented by last week’s invasion must be probed through an independent judicial commission of inquiry which will produce a comprehensive report. We reject any manipulated and fabricated investigation,” Saraki and Ekweremadu stated.
The presiding officers added that they have also uncovered what they described as a sinister plot in which the government plans to use the anti-graft and security agencies to incarcerate them and some members of their families from next week, all in a bid to break their will and effect their removal.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- 10 biggest news stories in Nigeria in 2018, according to Google Trends
- The 11 Best Movies Coming Out in December
- The fall of Man Utd XI
- Court fixes February for bench ruling on Magu’s N5bn libel suit
- Nigeria’s first gold refinery construction begins
- Nigeria sues Shell, Eni $1.1b over Malabu oil license
- Buhari okays 65-year retirement age for teachers
- Preparing our children for the changing nature of work—it’s gigs not jobs in the 21st century
- Lagos International Trade Fair Boss crowned Yeye Oge Ogbere
- Young Girl Breaks Record At National Sport Festival In Abuja
- Buhari Just Told Us The Economy Is In Bad Shape, says Gov Yari
- White Woman Flies From Her Country To Arrest Yahoo Boy Who Duped Her N8m
- Donald Duke Sacked As SDP Presidential Candidate
- Notorious Robbers Busted After Successful Operation (Photos)
- PHOTOS: 102-Year-Old Woman Becomes Oldest Skydiver, Flies Down From The Sky On Birthday
- Exposed: Agency Headed By Buhari's In-law Violating Nigeria's Procurement Law
- Emotional Moment Oby Ezekwesili 'Bursts Into Tears' (Photos)
- Pretty Lady Who Just Graduated Goes Missing (Photos)
- I'm Not Desperate For Power - Buhari Speaks On Electoral Bill
- Popular Pastor Kidnapped In His Church Premises In Calabar
- Rivers APC Saga: Court Asked To Order INEC To Remove APC Candidates' Names
- EFCC Chairman: I'm Glad Senate Didn't Confirm Me, says Magu
- Protest in Lagos as F-SARS Officer kills truck driver over bribe
- Suspected Ritualists Abduct 13-day-old Baby While Mother Was Sleeping
- We Won't Go On Strike - PENGASSAN, NUPENG
- Woman Arrested For Pouring Hot Water On Pregnant Lady
- How Buhari's Veto On Electoral Bill Is Dividing Senators
- Touching Story Of Lady Shot Dead While Trying To Save Her Father From Assassins
- See Deteriorating State Of A Nigerian Magistrate Court (Photos)
- So Sad! Female Corper Reportedly Dies From Health Issues
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Young Lawyers Set To Wed Melt Hearts With Pre-wedding Pics
- Saraki attends launch of Trump’s Africa Strategy in US
- Flying Eagles turn back Ghana, reach WAFU Cup semi finals
- Who owns Nigeria football? The investor or the promoter? —Wale Ajayi
- Barewa to face Cowrie at Rugby President Cup final
- Arowolo quits 3SC for politics
- NRA ultimate goal is for Nigeria Referees to officiate at World Cup–Azeez
- Uche Okagbue becomes head coach of FC Ifeanyi Ubah
- Buhari wants teachers’ retirement age raised