By Anthony Ogbonna
Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki and his Deputy, Ike Ekweremadu have raised the alarm that the Federal Government has, according to them, commenced the execution of a plot to implicate them and their colleagues in the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) for the last Tuesday Invasion of the premises of the National Assembly by men of the Department of State Services (DSS).
In a statement signed by their media aides, Yusuph Olaniyonu and Uche Anichukwu, the two legislative leaders stated, after receiving the interim report submitted by the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mr. Idris Ibrahim, that the Presidency has, Friday, constituted a closet panel to review the report and submit a final recommendation.
The mandate of this closet panel, the two legislators stated, “is to turn facts on the head and blame the invasion of the National Assembly on the two leaders of the Red Chamber of the National Assembly, who will then be presented as having worked in tandem with the sacked Director General of the DSS, Mallam Lawal Daura to stage the parliamentary security breach.”
The statement partly reads thus:
“We have been reliably informed that instead of the Presidency to set up a public inquiry or judicial commission to probe last Tuesday’s early morning Invasion of the National Assembly as being demanded by the general public, they have commenced a process of manipulation and fabrication.
“The Presidency has set up a closet panel, which would work to a predetermined conclusion in which they will now claim that the Senate President and the Deputy Senate President worked in collusion with ex-DG of DSS, Lawal Daura to stage the invasion.
“They want to shield the fact that the previous night before the invasion and up till the early hours of Tuesday, there was a meeting of the All Progressives Congress (APC) senators and that the plan was for them to be moved in a coaster bus into the National Assembly complex later that morning for them to purportedly remove us and select a new Senate President and Deputy Senate President.
“Their plot only failed because the media, particularly social media, Nigerians and international community responded very swiftly as some legislators who came into the complex were refused entry by gun-wielding, hooded security operatives.
“Now, they want to turn the facts on its head and blame us for their botched plot against democracy. We are hereby alerting all Nigerians and members of the international community that the present Nigerian government will stop at nothing to destroy, suppress and incapacitate the opposition. This is their new tactic and plot as we approach the period of the 2019 polls.
“We hereby reiterate our earlier position that the coup against democracy as represented by last week’s invasion must be probed through an independent judicial commission of inquiry which will produce a comprehensive report. We reject any manipulated and fabricated investigation,” Saraki and Ekweremadu stated.
The presiding officers added that they have also uncovered what they described as a sinister plot in which the government plans to use the anti-graft and security agencies to incarcerate them and some members of their families from next week, all in a bid to break their will and effect their removal.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- INEC Chairman Presents 2019 INEC Budget To Senate (Photos)
- Landlord Who Led Armed Robbers To Rob Neighbour Arrested
- INEC to feed police with N6bn in 2019 polls
- Experts worry over rising cyber security poverty line in Nigeria
- Driver crushes LASTMA officer
- GTBank to increase loan book by 10%
- Zinedine Zidane is replacing one of the Manchester Clubs
- Student Who Scored 364 In JAMB Receives N5m Cash (Photo)
- Presidency Speaks On Buhari Extending 10-day London Vacation
- SARS Caught "Extorting Passengers" Despite Osinbajo's Order
- Female Corper Knocked Down By Reckless Driver In Lagos
- Story Of Abuja Wild Forest Where "All Kinds Of Things" Happen
- Oil prices down by 13% over growing US crude inventories
- MTN secures N200bn loan from Diamond bank, 11 others
- Pastor's Wife Attacked For Brutalizing Her Little Maid (Maid)
- Kemi Adeosun's Certificate: SERAP Drags NYSC Boss To Court
- Fraudster Impersonating Nollywood Actor To Defraud People Arrested In Lagos
- 2019: Tinubu tackles Obasanjo
- Police lost 15 operatives to Bandits in two months; families demand compensation
- Investors panic as prices of Bitcoin, others plummet
- Nigeria’s inflation drops again in July
- Update On How 35 Died As Bridge Collapsed In Italy (Photos)
- Buhari To Take Action On New DSS Boss and Daura
- Thief Arrested While Preparing Pepper Soup With Stolen Goat
- The Leadership In Nigeria Today Has Lost Focus - IBB
- 2019: I’m not desperate to be President – Atiku
- Tension in Abuja: US Embassy shuts Visa, Consular Services indefinitely
- Odili, Ekpu @ 70: Of patriarchs and their progenies
- Minister’s certificate forgery scam: SERAP sues NYSC over failure to publish Adeosun’s ‘exemption certificate’
- Saraki, Dogara Reveal Why They're Not Reconvening NASS
- Man Who Abducted Lagos Schoolgirl Who's Sold Into Pros-titution Arrested, Opens Up
- Uber Driver Nabbed For Beating Up 'Runs Girl' In Lagos After S*x
- 2019: I’m Qualified, Not Desperate To Be President - Atiku
- Man Steals Company’s Products To Pay Medical Bill Of Wife
- SARAKI's TIME IS UP - Oshiomhole insists, gives strong condition
- Hacks For Dealing With Smelly Feet
- Female Corper Cries As Political Thugs Kidnap Her For Refusing To Rig Election
- Oba Of Benin Arrives Abuja In His Rolls Royce and Private Jet
- 2019: Presidency Reacts To "Pressure" On Buhari Not To Run
- Lecturer Sent To Prison For R*ping His Wife Sister's Daughter