– Messi is now captain of Barcelona following Iniesta’s departure
– The 33-year-old has been vice captain of La Blaugrana since 2015
– Enersto Valverde’s side will take on Sevilla in the Spanish Supercopa
Lionel Messi has been officially named new captain of Barcelona following Andres Iniesta’s exit from Camp Nou.
The Argentina international takes over from Iniesta following his move to Vissel Kobe in the J League at the end of the 2017-18 campaign.
The 30-year-old has worn the arm-band for the Catalan giants on numerous occasions before he was named vice-captain since 2015.
Sergio Busquets will now occupy the position as vice-captain while Gerard Pique and Sergi Roberto have joined the four-man leadership team, with the quartet all graduating from the club’s academy.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner will be aiming to lift his first trophy as captain on Sunday when Ernesto Valverde’s side take on Sevilla in the Spanish Supercopa.
Messi and his team-mates lost just one game on their way to winning La Liga last season, and kick off the new season against Alaves on August 18.
The Nou Camp outfit also won the Copa del Rey last season but they crashed out of the Champions League at the quarter-final stage to Roma.
Valverde has moved to bolster his squad with the signing of Malcom, Arthur, Clement Lenglet and Arturo Vidal this summer.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had earlier reported that Premier League side Everton completed the signing of Lucas Digne from Barcelona for £22m.
The France international spent two seasons with Barcelona after making a summer move from Ligue 1 side Paris Saint-Germain.
Who is the better coach, Mourinho or Conte? – on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Best Destinations For Your First International Trip
- Woman Lies In The Middle Of The Road To Protest Non-Payment Of 13 Months Salary
- Bank Staff Arrested For Fraud On His Wedding Day In Lagos
- Married Woman Committing Adultery Dies After S*x
- Yinka Ayefele Sues Oyo Government Over Building Demolition
- Akpabio Runs To Court, Stops Saraki From Declaring Seat Vacant
- Little Man Rocks NYSC Kit In Style
- New Minimum Wage: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Governors
- Protest At Police Headquarters Abuja Over Detention of Premium Times Journalist
- Soldiers Kill Notorious Bandit, Sani Danbuzuwa During Shoot Out
- Security vote: Governors challenge Buhari, EFCC
- Here is how much FG recovered from whistle blowers
- Philipp Lahm heads Germany bid to host Euro 2024 tournament
- Omeruo signs one year loan deal
- Ogu trains in Cyprus ahead of make-or-break match
- FCT FA Commences U-13 Football Talent Hunt
- Club Brugge turns down Osimhen after trials
- Abia Warriors crush Manga FA 4-0
- France 2018: Falconets ready to battle for semi final ticket
- 120 students participate In 3rd edition Nimrod North West Holiday Volleyball Clinic
- Female Student Wounds Friend For Advise Her To Quit Smoking
- WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?
- Lawmakers defect in Ogun
- 2019: Al-Mustapha formally shows interest in presidential race
- LCCI tackles FIRS over new tax provision
- 2019: Buhari grooming Kingibe to succeed him (?)
- APC reiterates commitment to corruption fight
- CACOL urges EFCC to probe BOI over unethical practices
- 78yrs Old Woman Weeps As She's Left Stranded At Lagos Airport
- StarTimes woos customers, reduces subscription
- Clark declares support for Saraki
- Nobody can remove Saraki – Prophet
- Amidst certificate forgery scam, Buhari offers Minister Adeosun additional appointment
- Lagos lawmaker advocates encouragement for female soccer
- Don’t tamper with electoral process, RHWR counsels FG
- LCCI tasks Federal government on automotive policy review
- Electricity workers threaten to shut power
- Detained Journalist, Jones Abiri Freed After 2 Years In Detention
- Police Officer Who Collected N120k Bribe Nabbed, Forced To Sit On The Ground