– Messi is now captain of Barcelona following Iniesta’s departure
– The 33-year-old has been vice captain of La Blaugrana since 2015
– Enersto Valverde’s side will take on Sevilla in the Spanish Supercopa
Lionel Messi has been officially named new captain of Barcelona following Andres Iniesta’s exit from Camp Nou.
The Argentina international takes over from Iniesta following his move to Vissel Kobe in the J League at the end of the 2017-18 campaign.
The 30-year-old has worn the arm-band for the Catalan giants on numerous occasions before he was named vice-captain since 2015.
Sergio Busquets will now occupy the position as vice-captain while Gerard Pique and Sergi Roberto have joined the four-man leadership team, with the quartet all graduating from the club’s academy.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner will be aiming to lift his first trophy as captain on Sunday when Ernesto Valverde’s side take on Sevilla in the Spanish Supercopa.
Messi and his team-mates lost just one game on their way to winning La Liga last season, and kick off the new season against Alaves on August 18.
The Nou Camp outfit also won the Copa del Rey last season but they crashed out of the Champions League at the quarter-final stage to Roma.
Valverde has moved to bolster his squad with the signing of Malcom, Arthur, Clement Lenglet and Arturo Vidal this summer.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had earlier reported that Premier League side Everton completed the signing of Lucas Digne from Barcelona for £22m.
The France international spent two seasons with Barcelona after making a summer move from Ligue 1 side Paris Saint-Germain.
Who is the better coach, Mourinho or Conte? – on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Why We Complained About Peter Obi As Atiku's Vice President
- Jobless Man Nabbed For Allegedly Killing Brother Over Mother's Property
- Nude Bath Video of Osun Lawmaker: Update From The Court
- Woman Steals Her Family Friend's Children... she's on the run
- We won’t accept less than N30,000 minimum wage - Labour
- Politician Accuses Policeman Of Shooting, Breaking His Leg
- APC & Police Colluding To Scuttle My Election Petition – Senator Adeleke
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Warri-Itakpe-Ajaokuta Rail Line Completed...
- Lady Reveals How Nigerian Pastor S*xually Assaulted Her In South Africa (Photos)
- Fayose Told By EFCC Officers To Return N1.3Billion & Go Home
- Governor Ganduje Asked To Resign Over Video Of $5m Bribe
- Adeleke Files Petition, Asks Tribunal To Declare Him Governor
- Single Mum Arrested Over N3.8m... she says it’s for her upkeep
- PDP, Obasanjo-backed ADC, SDP, Others Meet On Atiku As 2019 Consensus Candidate
- Buhari Calls Hauwa Liman's Father: We Tried To Save Her
- Governor Amosun: I Won’t Dump APC Because Of Buhari
- Bus Plunges Into Bridge... Driver, Passengers Missing (Photos)
- Nigerian Governor's S*x Tape To Be Leaked
- Court Stops INEC from Disqualifying Zamfara APC Candidates
- Buhari is history – Agbakoba
- CCGG calls out FG over Leah sharibu abduction
- Buhari losing war against Boko Haram
- Atiku’s choice of VP: Peter Obi as a motivational metaphor
- Fake Mad Man Busted After He Received Alert Of N1.5Million
- Juventus considers new Mandzukvic deal
- FIFA 19: Usain bolt likely to be included in winter update
- Luis Enrique: There is no similarities between Spain, Barcelona
- Lukaku hints at future Serie A switch
- Pep: Messi, Ronaldo are phenomena
- Roberto Martinez: Hazard can lead any team
- Man Utd to make De gea the highest paid player in the team
- Morata: Money, fame can be a problem
- Joshua kimmich: Bad luck isn’t a coincidence in Germany’s failures
- National industrial court dismisses suit filed over Marilyn Ogar retirement
- Mother of Hauwa Liman: I Can't Believe My Daughter Is Dead
- APC Reacts To Governor Ganduje's $5m Bribe-taking Videos
- Fayose's Interrogation By Senior EFCC Officers Begins
- LAUTECH Students Protest, Shut Down School Over Fee Hike
- Presidency Reacts To Video Of Gov Ganduje 'Receiving' Bribe