– Messi is now captain of Barcelona following Iniesta’s departure
– The 33-year-old has been vice captain of La Blaugrana since 2015
– Enersto Valverde’s side will take on Sevilla in the Spanish Supercopa
Lionel Messi has been officially named new captain of Barcelona following Andres Iniesta’s exit from Camp Nou.
The Argentina international takes over from Iniesta following his move to Vissel Kobe in the J League at the end of the 2017-18 campaign.
The 30-year-old has worn the arm-band for the Catalan giants on numerous occasions before he was named vice-captain since 2015.
Sergio Busquets will now occupy the position as vice-captain while Gerard Pique and Sergi Roberto have joined the four-man leadership team, with the quartet all graduating from the club’s academy.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner will be aiming to lift his first trophy as captain on Sunday when Ernesto Valverde’s side take on Sevilla in the Spanish Supercopa.
Messi and his team-mates lost just one game on their way to winning La Liga last season, and kick off the new season against Alaves on August 18.
The Nou Camp outfit also won the Copa del Rey last season but they crashed out of the Champions League at the quarter-final stage to Roma.
Valverde has moved to bolster his squad with the signing of Malcom, Arthur, Clement Lenglet and Arturo Vidal this summer.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had earlier reported that Premier League side Everton completed the signing of Lucas Digne from Barcelona for £22m.
The France international spent two seasons with Barcelona after making a summer move from Ligue 1 side Paris Saint-Germain.
Who is the better coach, Mourinho or Conte? – on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- We will prepare hard and take our chances – Dennerby
- Team Anambra target is ten gold medals —- Emeka Egbutu
- WAFU Cup: Flying Eagles up against Junior Mena
- FG, Abia sign definitive agreements Enyimba Economic City
- FRSC worries about Kaduna-Abuja roads
- 2019: Obasanjo insists he wants Buhari out
- South Africa, Cameroon not downcast
- Only A Fool Will Be Neutral When Nigeria Suffer Incompetence & Nepotism – Obasanjo
- Court May Compel Buhari To Investigate Ganduje's Dollar Bribe
- Electoral Amendment: Majority leader backs Buhari
- Northern Leaders Withdraw Support for Buhari over Revelation by his wife, Aisha?
- Police Beat Up Popular Actor Gideon Okeke In Lagos (Photos)
- Man Disgraced As He Was Caught Trying To Steal Ladies' Pant For Money Ritual in Delta
- FG states resolve on INEC’s security
- Super Falcons to know World Cup foes
- Beach Soccer AFCON: Supersand Eagles tackle Senegal
- Father Mbaka ‘Escapes’ Assassination
- Atiku As 2019 Consensus Candidate: PDP Moves To Get Other Parties' Support
- David De Gea is ranked best goalkeeper
- 19th NSF games schedule for Saturday as 23 events go down today
- Team Anambra should stay together to win —-Tony Oli
- NAPF President, Babaginda bails out ailing former Footballer
- Salah sets Liverpool record
- Women’s World Cup draw pits England against Scotland
- I’m in National team to build my profile, not for money—- Aigbogun
- NSF: Loveth Aboki gives Edo first medal in Power lifting
- Honest Security Guard Praised For Returning Lost Wallet Filled With Cash In Abuja
- Tinubu Showers Family Of Late 'Baba Sala' With Cash
- Serious Air Tragedy Averted As Plane Tyres Refuse To Eject In PH Airport While Landing
- Electoral Act: National Assembly Plans To Override Buhari
- Reactions Trailing Freezing Of Peter Obi’s Accounts
- APC Headquarters In Dilemma Over Amosun, Okorocha
- Forget The Past, Vote Buhari, Sanwo-Olu – Ambode
- Obasanjo: I Won't Campaign For Buhari, Atiku; Open Your Eyes & Vote For Better Economy
- Military Buys New Helicopter Gunships To Figh Boko Haram
- Tanker Loses Control, Rams Into 3 Vehicles On Lagos-Ibadan... Leaves 2 Dead
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Obasanjo abandons Atiku; says he has no candidate
- Buhari approves appointment 9 new permanent secretaries
- Seriously? 13.5m Nigerians Voted Without PVC In 2015 - 75% In States Won By Buhari