– 9 persons have reportedly died in a ghastly auto accident that occurred in Port Harcourt on Thursday, August 9
– NAIJ.com had previously reported that 6 persons died in the accident
– The accident occurred when a 14-seater bus rammed into a heavy duty truck that was carrying a crane
The death toll of the passengers who died in an auto accident involving a Lagos bound 14-seater commuter bus on Thursday, August 9, a few meters away from the Choba bridge along the East-West road in Port-Harcourt, has risen to nine.
NAIJ.com reports that more details emerged today, Friday, August 10, that the death toll rose from six because some of the victims who were rescued from the bus, suffered third degree burns but later died.
The accident, according to NAIJ.com regional reporter in Port Harcourt, Tony Ihunwo, occurred when a heavy duty truck suddenly developed break failure and that it was difficult for the bus driver who was on high speed to control it, before it rammed into the truck and burst into flames.
The victims of accidents that occurred in Port Harcout on Thursday, August 9. Photo credit: Tony Ihunwo
It was gathered that among those who later died were those who were rushed to the Accident and Emergency Ward of the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital (UPTH).
An eyewitness, who preferred to remain anonymous, however, told NAIJ.com that he saw four survivors who were in critical condition being evaluated to the accident and emergency ward of the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital (UPTH), which is less than half kilometer away to where the accident occurred.
It was also gathered that some of eyewitnesses who were first to arrive at the scene busied themselves snapping and recording some charred bodies of the passengers at the accident scene.
It was also learnt that a kindhearted commercial driver volunteered his taxi cab as an “emergency ambulance” that evacuated survivors at the scene of the accident.
Meanwhile, the chairman of Emohua local government council, Chief Tom Aliezi, who visited the scene of the accident on Friday, August 10, blamed it on the bad portion of of the East-West road which is under the purview of the federal government.
He called on the federal government to expedite action and complete the abandoned portions of the East-West road to stem further carnage on the ever busy trunk A expressway.
The spokesman of the Rivers state police command DSP Nnamdi Omoni, in his reactions blamed the accident to excessive speeding on the part of bus Driver.
He argued that the bus driver could have been able to avoid the truck which break failed if he was not on high speed.
It was gathered that motorists and kindhearted members of the public were seen struggling to evacuate the survivors at the scene of the accident and also redirected traffic that was already building up along the ever busy trunk A expressway.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had previously reported that the former 400 meters hurdles world champion, Nicholas Bett, died in a road crash in Sochoi near Lessos in Nandi.
His death was confirmed by his family and Nandi police commander, Patrick Wambani, who said Bett died on the spot after the car he was driving veered off the road and landed in a ditch.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- NLO will use Division 3 Playoff to correct past errors – Ogunnowo
- NBBF to refresh referees
- What Ighalo decided before Libya match
- Juve kicked me out to sign CR7— Higuain
- Wembley Stadium up for grabs
- This, among others can cause bed-wetting in adults
- Lawmakers tackles Ambode over Cleaner Lagos Initiative
- Financial infractions: NHIS Board suspends Yusuf indefinitely
- Nigeria’s foreign reserves on steady decline
- Man Utd won’t win title with Lukaku
- Chelsea determined not to let Hazard join Real
- Akpabio tackles Saraki
- Police, robbers in gun battle, 2 dead
- Bride Who Looked Sad On Wedding Day, Goes On Honeymoon, Kisses Hubby Happily
- Senior Police Officers: 3 AIGs promoted to DIGs, 4 CPs to AIGs
- Drunk Nigerian Governor’s Son Crushes 6 Persons In Ghastly Motor Accident (Photos)
- IG of Police Can Be Jailed for Seizing Dino Melaye's Passport?
- 3 Story Building Collapses In Anambra, 11 Trapped (Photos)
- Skye Bank’s fall: The Inside story
- Can Atiku revives Nigeria’s struggling economy
- Missing General: Update On The Army's Actions
- Pretty Lady Goes Missing Just One Week To Her Wedding
- Ooni Of Ife Celebrates His 44th Birthday In Style (Photos)
- MUSON to host 22nd Music Festival
- Spain falls, Eagles Soar: Ighalo shares fate with Sterling
- Alexx Ekubo, IK Ogbonna collaborate with other celebs on a PVC awareness program
- Mafikizolo features Wizkid, Yemi Alade
- Chelsea vs Manchester United: What Sarri must know about Mourinho before match day
- Why 2 EPL players will never forgive Sergio Ramos
- What every woman must know about their bra
- Dining, managing your High Blood Pressure: drinks, foods to shun
- Proper treatment for mouth odour
- 7 ways of keeping a healthy erection
- ‘Cultist’ Threatens To ‘Kill’ Lagos DPO
- Court Stops APC From Sending Delta Cndidates’ List To INEC
- "My Brother Was Tortured By Lagos Police To Coma"
- See Properties EFCC Said They Traced To Fayose; to seek order for total forfeiture
- Lady Shares Her Robbery Experience In Lagos Traffic (Photos)
- "We Won't Accept It" - Labour reacts to "No Work, No Pay"
- Djinee recovers from serious auto crash