– 9 persons have reportedly died in a ghastly auto accident that occurred in Port Harcourt on Thursday, August 9
– NAIJ.com had previously reported that 6 persons died in the accident
– The accident occurred when a 14-seater bus rammed into a heavy duty truck that was carrying a crane
The death toll of the passengers who died in an auto accident involving a Lagos bound 14-seater commuter bus on Thursday, August 9, a few meters away from the Choba bridge along the East-West road in Port-Harcourt, has risen to nine.
NAIJ.com reports that more details emerged today, Friday, August 10, that the death toll rose from six because some of the victims who were rescued from the bus, suffered third degree burns but later died.
The accident, according to NAIJ.com regional reporter in Port Harcourt, Tony Ihunwo, occurred when a heavy duty truck suddenly developed break failure and that it was difficult for the bus driver who was on high speed to control it, before it rammed into the truck and burst into flames.
The victims of accidents that occurred in Port Harcout on Thursday, August 9. Photo credit: Tony Ihunwo
It was gathered that among those who later died were those who were rushed to the Accident and Emergency Ward of the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital (UPTH).
An eyewitness, who preferred to remain anonymous, however, told NAIJ.com that he saw four survivors who were in critical condition being evaluated to the accident and emergency ward of the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital (UPTH), which is less than half kilometer away to where the accident occurred.
It was also gathered that some of eyewitnesses who were first to arrive at the scene busied themselves snapping and recording some charred bodies of the passengers at the accident scene.
It was also learnt that a kindhearted commercial driver volunteered his taxi cab as an “emergency ambulance” that evacuated survivors at the scene of the accident.
Meanwhile, the chairman of Emohua local government council, Chief Tom Aliezi, who visited the scene of the accident on Friday, August 10, blamed it on the bad portion of of the East-West road which is under the purview of the federal government.
He called on the federal government to expedite action and complete the abandoned portions of the East-West road to stem further carnage on the ever busy trunk A expressway.
The spokesman of the Rivers state police command DSP Nnamdi Omoni, in his reactions blamed the accident to excessive speeding on the part of bus Driver.
He argued that the bus driver could have been able to avoid the truck which break failed if he was not on high speed.
It was gathered that motorists and kindhearted members of the public were seen struggling to evacuate the survivors at the scene of the accident and also redirected traffic that was already building up along the ever busy trunk A expressway.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had previously reported that the former 400 meters hurdles world champion, Nicholas Bett, died in a road crash in Sochoi near Lessos in Nandi.
His death was confirmed by his family and Nandi police commander, Patrick Wambani, who said Bett died on the spot after the car he was driving veered off the road and landed in a ditch.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- APC guber candidate in certificate scandal
- Account for money spent on military operations, SERAP tells Buratai
- My rift with Tinubu is on democratic values, says Agbaje
- Boko Haram raids another community in Borno
- Atiku blasts Buhari over absence at burial of 19 soldiers in Borno
- Christmas, New Year, political Campaigns: IGP Orders CPs, AIGs to beef-up of security
- FRSC will not tolerate unethical behavior of officers – Dr. Oyeyemi
- Supersand Eagles hold firm to World Cup ticket as Senegal rule Africa
- Edo pushes for 2nd position as Tech Director, others laud team performance —Kehinde Osagiede
- Swimmer Osayi on Federation Radar as Edo Govt promises nurturing of athlete
- EPL: Mourinho told to sell four Man United players in January
- Marcelo: Madrid Miss ‘Best in the World’ CR7
- NSF: Igali thrilled with impressive outings by states
- Groups battle Buratai on Army’s spending
- NASS staff strike may affect 2019 budget
- NAFDAC highlights plan to regulate traditional herbs
- SDP presidential candidate legal crisis escalates as court sacks Duke
- Few Tips To Moving Forward With Your Passion & Purpose
- APC Candidate In Ogun, Dapo Abiodun, In Certificate Scandal
- Why Obasanjo Turned Against Buhari After Helping Him Emerge President - Oyinlola Reveals
- Atiku To Work On Jonathan's Confab Report If Elected In 2019
- Throw Back Photo Of Osinbajo, FRSC Boss Fowler & Ade
- Pastor Kidnapped In His Church Premises Regains Freedom
- Fayose, Gov Fayemi In War Of Words Over Attack On ex-Gov.
- Charlyboy Weds Wife In Church After 40 Years, Drive In Keke
- APC To Its NASS Members: Don't Allow Electoral Bill Override
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Beautiful Pics Of Nigeria Police Couple Getting Married Today
- Road Safety State Commander Dies In Road Accident (Photos)
- OAP Toolz & Husband Tunde Demuren Welcome Baby Boy
- Tinubu Hits Saraki? Says Robbers Deny Nigeria Vibrant Senate Presidency
- Five Die In Terrible Accidents In Lagos (Photos)
- Drunk FRSC Official Bashes Man's Car In Lagos (Photos)
- National Assembly Staff Begin Strike Monday, Threaten Buhari's Budget Presentation
- Man Kidnaps Ex-Boss For Accusing Him Of Stealing, Demands N1m Ransom
- 6-Week-Old Baby Miraculously Survives Ebola
- Yahoo Boy, Banker Arrested For Defrauding Woman
- The President and His Wife
- Boko Haram: Between Buhari’s Amnesty And The Lives of Our Soldiers
- Adorable Photos Of Buhari & Wife, Aisha Melt Hearts