The traders told newsmen in Lagos that they were experiencing hardships in getting their goods out of the Apapa ports.
Mr Jude Okeke, an importer and also the President, Association of Progressive Traders (APT), Trade Fair Complex, Lagos, said the concentration of cargo import on Apapa ports negates the ease-of-doing business.
Okeke expressed fear over the unending traffic situation along the port’s axis.
“Do not be surprised that we will wake up one day and container-laden trucks will overrun the whole of Lagos city with no access roads for commuters.
“The Federal Government can do a lot of good to the importing public by opening up the other ports that have been fully utilized over time,’’ Okeke said.
Also, Mrs Vivian Akubueze, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Kudi Cosmetics, Lagos, said that it was not wise for cargoes laden with goods meant for Eastern Nigeria to berth at the Apapa ports.
Akubueze said that such cargoes with its goods should be routed to the ports in Calabar and Port Harcourt.
“Common sense ought to tell us that when cargoes transporting goods meant for other parts of the country berth in Lagos, importers will pay additional money to transport their goods to their destinations.
“This will cause tear and wear to the nation’s road networks as well as push the cost of such goods up in the market,’’ Akubueze said.
She said that it had taken her about two weeks to get her goods out of the Apapa ports after the Nigeria Customs Service had released them.
She, therefore, appealed to the government to come to their aid and halt the rising cost of goods by allowing cargoes to berth in other ports apart from Lagos.
Also, Mr Gab. Ayodele, who deals in industrial chemicals, said that it cost him a lot to transport its products from the Apapa ports to Calabar where his clients were.
“If the Calabar port is functional, that will save me some cost and time,’’ he said.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- We’ve no objection to Access Bank, Diamond Bank merger – CBN
- NASS leadership directs Police, SSS to secure complex for budget presentation
- Tinubu taunts Agbaje ahead of 2019 elections
- Oil companies still owing FG over $1bn in taxes – Obono-Obla
- Qatar unveils 2022 World Cup final stadium design
- Man Utd hand Smalling new contract
- Messi sets new Barcelona record in scintillating Levante performance
- Hazard inspires Chelsea victory
- Ramos: There is no margin for error
- NBS boss Yemi Kale denies Presidency claim that he admitted FG created 12m Jobs
- 3 Ladies Disgraced After Being Caught Stealing
- Gallant Nigerian Soldier Celebrate Birthday In Battlefield
- ASUU Storms Out Of Meeting With FG, Strike Continue
- Ambode Openly Endorse Sanwo-Olu, Hamzat For Lagos
- Dancing Senator Tenders Results Of Osun Election
- Seriously? $1trillion Oil Money Yet To Be Recovered By Govt.
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Police Officer Who Shot A Good Man Finally Arrested
- You All Must Make Sure PDP Don't Win 2019 - Tinubu Charges Lagos APC Leaders
- NYSC Member Who's A Yahoo Boy Nabbed Over Big Fraud
- Buhari Is Short Of Ideas, No Economist In His Cabinet... I Will Fix The Economy - Atiku
- Man Impregnates 12yrs Old Girl In Lagos, Begs For Settlement
- I Won't Rig 2019 Polls The Way They Rigged Me Out In The Past - President Buhari
- Police detain Deji Adeyanju for murder four years after acquittal
- I'm Not Responsible For Your Failure - Jonathan Replies Buhari
- Shock As Woman Who Killed Her Daughter Is Found Not Guilty Of Murder... and here's why
- Why I Parted Ways With Tinubu - Jimi Agbaje
- Female Corper Trends As She Use 'Terrible' English To Report A Crime (Photos)
- Female Robbers Exchange Gun Fire With Nigeria Police
- Sex-for-mark: Disgraced OAU lecturer pleads guilty in court
- Messi sets new Barcelona record
- 5,000 APC members defects to PDP in Ondo
- I will emerge next Governor of Ogun State – Akinlade
- See The Cake President Buhari Celebrated His Birthday With
- Diamond Bank Confirms Merger With Access Bank
- Young Abuja Judge Whose Wife Is Pregnant Slumps, Dies
- Kwankwaso Opens Up On Alleged Plan To Dump PDP For APC
- 'Yahoo Boy' Runs Mad While Trying To Withdraw Cash In Delta (Photos)
- Sarri swoops to sign Dortmund star Pulisic
- NSF 2018: Odunlade visits Osun Camp in Abuja, lauds Athletes, Officials