The traders told newsmen in Lagos that they were experiencing hardships in getting their goods out of the Apapa ports.
Mr Jude Okeke, an importer and also the President, Association of Progressive Traders (APT), Trade Fair Complex, Lagos, said the concentration of cargo import on Apapa ports negates the ease-of-doing business.
Okeke expressed fear over the unending traffic situation along the port’s axis.
“Do not be surprised that we will wake up one day and container-laden trucks will overrun the whole of Lagos city with no access roads for commuters.
“The Federal Government can do a lot of good to the importing public by opening up the other ports that have been fully utilized over time,’’ Okeke said.
Also, Mrs Vivian Akubueze, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Kudi Cosmetics, Lagos, said that it was not wise for cargoes laden with goods meant for Eastern Nigeria to berth at the Apapa ports.
Akubueze said that such cargoes with its goods should be routed to the ports in Calabar and Port Harcourt.
“Common sense ought to tell us that when cargoes transporting goods meant for other parts of the country berth in Lagos, importers will pay additional money to transport their goods to their destinations.
“This will cause tear and wear to the nation’s road networks as well as push the cost of such goods up in the market,’’ Akubueze said.
She said that it had taken her about two weeks to get her goods out of the Apapa ports after the Nigeria Customs Service had released them.
She, therefore, appealed to the government to come to their aid and halt the rising cost of goods by allowing cargoes to berth in other ports apart from Lagos.
Also, Mr Gab. Ayodele, who deals in industrial chemicals, said that it cost him a lot to transport its products from the Apapa ports to Calabar where his clients were.
“If the Calabar port is functional, that will save me some cost and time,’’ he said.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- How Barcelona honors Ousmane Dembele, deal partners
- APC lists 10 sins of Saraki
- Saraki Reacts To Tinubu's Allegations
- Senators tell APC to end search for scapegoats Saraki
- Rising disquiets over Ajimonbi’s demolition of Yinka Ayefele’s Radio House
- Saraki exposes Buhari-Tinubu succession pact for 2023
- UNILAG to launch centres of excellence to boost research
- We will send APC packing from Lagos – ADP
- NECO results: Students performed better in 2018, says Registrar
- Ayefele lied, Ajimobi not responsible for demolition – OYSG
- ITF organises campaigns on management of modern libraries
- Real Madrid on a move to steal a Barcelona player
- ATM dominates Banking transactions in Q2 2018
- APC Says Saraki Will Rather Rule In Hell Than Serve In Paradise
- Meet The Newly Elected NBA President
- See Nigerian Female Welder Doing Her Job Professionally
- Tambuwal Replies Tinubu
- 65yrs Old Woman Graduates (Masters) From Covenant University
- See Baby Girl With Brain Tumour Who Miraculously Recovered After Pope Francis Kissed Her
- After 5 zeroes taken off, a roll of tissue paper sells for 2.6 million bolivars in Venezuela
- Female IPOB Members Faint In Court, Rushed To Hospital (Pics)
- Demolition of Ayefele’s Fresh FM: SERAP chides Gov Ajimobi of executive rascality
- Here's The Housegirl Who Killed Her Madam In Edo
- Senator Adeleke's Certificate Saga: Matters Arising
- Security Man Steals N2m From School Account
- Nigeria Yet To Recover From Economic Recession – NBS Boss
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- NUJ Reacts To Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele's Radio House
- PDP Writes Saraki To Declare Akpabio's Seat Vacant
- Saraki, Tambuwal Are Scared Of President Buhari - Tinubu
- Outrage Over Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele’s N800m Radio Station
- Presidency Replies Saraki
- Why Jonathan Was A Better President Than Buhari - Dino Melaye
- Lagos To Shut Down Third Mainland Bridge This Week (Details)
- Giwa didn’t win any election— Jones-Ere
- Jose Mourinho: Man Utd manager says Man City ‘cannot buy class’
- Lionel Messi’s brother sentenced for possessing illegal firearm.
- D’Tigress bury hatchet; focus on World Cup preparation
- Lawmaker calls for NASS budget probe under Saraki
- Doctor convicted of sexual assault of patient gets probation