Dogara makes special promise to Nigerians ahead of 2019, says FG is handling 2019 election as emergency
– Yakubu Dogara laments that the federal government is treating the 2019 election as an emergency
– Dogara says the leadership of the National Assembly will do all within its power to ensure a successful 2019 election
– The speaker says he has many questions to ask, but he plans the appropriate
Yakubu Dogara, the speaker of the House of Representatives, has promised that the National Assembly would do all within its legal powers to ensure that the 2019 general elections held successfully.
Dogara stated this on Thursday, August 9, at a meeting of the leadership of both chambers of the National Assembly with chairman of Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof Mahmood Yakubu.
The speaker, however, lamented that the federal government was treating the 2019 general election as an emergency.
Vanguard reports that the National Assembly is trying to consider approving the funding request made by President Muhammadu Buhari for the 2019 elections.
“As leaders of the National Assembly, we are committed to appropriating whatever is needed within the confines of the resources of the nation for INEC to be able to actualise this and that is why this meeting is important.
“However, personally, I have some questions that I intend to raise, but I will raise these in the process of discussion because it appears that we are treating this 2019 election as an emergency, which it ought not to be, so that is just my concern,” he said.
Dogara also stated that the legislature was committed to free, fair and credible elections in 2019.
He also urged the electoral umpire to ensure the standards were improved upon.
“I want to reiterate that we are committed to an electoral process that will better our experiences of our 2015 general elections,” he said.
NAIJ.com earlier reported that the chairmen and leaders of 45 political parties reportedly raised alarm over alleged plans to impeach the Senate president, Bukola Saraki and the speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara.
The parties raised the alarm during a solidarity visit to Saraki, in Abuja on Thursday, August 9, in connection to the recent blockade of the National Assembly by security operatives.
Nigeria Latest News How Masked DSS Gunmen Stormed the National Assembly (The True Story) Naij.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- We’ve no objection to Access Bank, Diamond Bank merger – CBN
- NASS leadership directs Police, SSS to secure complex for budget presentation
- Tinubu taunts Agbaje ahead of 2019 elections
- Oil companies still owing FG over $1bn in taxes – Obono-Obla
- Qatar unveils 2022 World Cup final stadium design
- Man Utd hand Smalling new contract
- Messi sets new Barcelona record in scintillating Levante performance
- Hazard inspires Chelsea victory
- Ramos: There is no margin for error
- NBS boss Yemi Kale denies Presidency claim that he admitted FG created 12m Jobs
- 3 Ladies Disgraced After Being Caught Stealing
- Gallant Nigerian Soldier Celebrate Birthday In Battlefield
- ASUU Storms Out Of Meeting With FG, Strike Continue
- Ambode Openly Endorse Sanwo-Olu, Hamzat For Lagos
- Dancing Senator Tenders Results Of Osun Election
- Seriously? $1trillion Oil Money Yet To Be Recovered By Govt.
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Police Officer Who Shot A Good Man Finally Arrested
- You All Must Make Sure PDP Don't Win 2019 - Tinubu Charges Lagos APC Leaders
- NYSC Member Who's A Yahoo Boy Nabbed Over Big Fraud
- Buhari Is Short Of Ideas, No Economist In His Cabinet... I Will Fix The Economy - Atiku
- Man Impregnates 12yrs Old Girl In Lagos, Begs For Settlement
- I Won't Rig 2019 Polls The Way They Rigged Me Out In The Past - President Buhari
- Police detain Deji Adeyanju for murder four years after acquittal
- I'm Not Responsible For Your Failure - Jonathan Replies Buhari
- Shock As Woman Who Killed Her Daughter Is Found Not Guilty Of Murder... and here's why
- Why I Parted Ways With Tinubu - Jimi Agbaje
- Female Corper Trends As She Use 'Terrible' English To Report A Crime (Photos)
- Female Robbers Exchange Gun Fire With Nigeria Police
- Sex-for-mark: Disgraced OAU lecturer pleads guilty in court
- Messi sets new Barcelona record
- 5,000 APC members defects to PDP in Ondo
- I will emerge next Governor of Ogun State – Akinlade
- See The Cake President Buhari Celebrated His Birthday With
- Diamond Bank Confirms Merger With Access Bank
- Young Abuja Judge Whose Wife Is Pregnant Slumps, Dies
- Kwankwaso Opens Up On Alleged Plan To Dump PDP For APC
- 'Yahoo Boy' Runs Mad While Trying To Withdraw Cash In Delta (Photos)
- Sarri swoops to sign Dortmund star Pulisic
- NSF 2018: Odunlade visits Osun Camp in Abuja, lauds Athletes, Officials