Dogara makes special promise to Nigerians ahead of 2019, says FG is handling 2019 election as emergency
– Yakubu Dogara laments that the federal government is treating the 2019 election as an emergency
– Dogara says the leadership of the National Assembly will do all within its power to ensure a successful 2019 election
– The speaker says he has many questions to ask, but he plans the appropriate
Yakubu Dogara, the speaker of the House of Representatives, has promised that the National Assembly would do all within its legal powers to ensure that the 2019 general elections held successfully.
Dogara stated this on Thursday, August 9, at a meeting of the leadership of both chambers of the National Assembly with chairman of Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof Mahmood Yakubu.
The speaker, however, lamented that the federal government was treating the 2019 general election as an emergency.
Vanguard reports that the National Assembly is trying to consider approving the funding request made by President Muhammadu Buhari for the 2019 elections.
“As leaders of the National Assembly, we are committed to appropriating whatever is needed within the confines of the resources of the nation for INEC to be able to actualise this and that is why this meeting is important.
“However, personally, I have some questions that I intend to raise, but I will raise these in the process of discussion because it appears that we are treating this 2019 election as an emergency, which it ought not to be, so that is just my concern,” he said.
Dogara also stated that the legislature was committed to free, fair and credible elections in 2019.
He also urged the electoral umpire to ensure the standards were improved upon.
“I want to reiterate that we are committed to an electoral process that will better our experiences of our 2015 general elections,” he said.
NAIJ.com earlier reported that the chairmen and leaders of 45 political parties reportedly raised alarm over alleged plans to impeach the Senate president, Bukola Saraki and the speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara.
The parties raised the alarm during a solidarity visit to Saraki, in Abuja on Thursday, August 9, in connection to the recent blockade of the National Assembly by security operatives.
Nigeria Latest News How Masked DSS Gunmen Stormed the National Assembly (The True Story) Naij.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- How Barcelona honors Ousmane Dembele, deal partners
- APC lists 10 sins of Saraki
- Saraki Reacts To Tinubu's Allegations
- Senators tell APC to end search for scapegoats Saraki
- Rising disquiets over Ajimonbi’s demolition of Yinka Ayefele’s Radio House
- Saraki exposes Buhari-Tinubu succession pact for 2023
- UNILAG to launch centres of excellence to boost research
- We will send APC packing from Lagos – ADP
- NECO results: Students performed better in 2018, says Registrar
- Ayefele lied, Ajimobi not responsible for demolition – OYSG
- ITF organises campaigns on management of modern libraries
- Real Madrid on a move to steal a Barcelona player
- ATM dominates Banking transactions in Q2 2018
- APC Says Saraki Will Rather Rule In Hell Than Serve In Paradise
- Meet The Newly Elected NBA President
- See Nigerian Female Welder Doing Her Job Professionally
- Tambuwal Replies Tinubu
- 65yrs Old Woman Graduates (Masters) From Covenant University
- See Baby Girl With Brain Tumour Who Miraculously Recovered After Pope Francis Kissed Her
- After 5 zeroes taken off, a roll of tissue paper sells for 2.6 million bolivars in Venezuela
- Female IPOB Members Faint In Court, Rushed To Hospital (Pics)
- Demolition of Ayefele’s Fresh FM: SERAP chides Gov Ajimobi of executive rascality
- Here's The Housegirl Who Killed Her Madam In Edo
- Senator Adeleke's Certificate Saga: Matters Arising
- Security Man Steals N2m From School Account
- Nigeria Yet To Recover From Economic Recession – NBS Boss
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- NUJ Reacts To Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele's Radio House
- PDP Writes Saraki To Declare Akpabio's Seat Vacant
- Saraki, Tambuwal Are Scared Of President Buhari - Tinubu
- Outrage Over Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele’s N800m Radio Station
- Presidency Replies Saraki
- Why Jonathan Was A Better President Than Buhari - Dino Melaye
- Lagos To Shut Down Third Mainland Bridge This Week (Details)
- Giwa didn’t win any election— Jones-Ere
- Jose Mourinho: Man Utd manager says Man City ‘cannot buy class’
- Lionel Messi’s brother sentenced for possessing illegal firearm.
- D’Tigress bury hatchet; focus on World Cup preparation
- Lawmaker calls for NASS budget probe under Saraki
- Doctor convicted of sexual assault of patient gets probation