Dogara makes special promise to Nigerians ahead of 2019, says FG is handling 2019 election as emergency
– Yakubu Dogara laments that the federal government is treating the 2019 election as an emergency
– Dogara says the leadership of the National Assembly will do all within its power to ensure a successful 2019 election
– The speaker says he has many questions to ask, but he plans the appropriate
Yakubu Dogara, the speaker of the House of Representatives, has promised that the National Assembly would do all within its legal powers to ensure that the 2019 general elections held successfully.
Dogara stated this on Thursday, August 9, at a meeting of the leadership of both chambers of the National Assembly with chairman of Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof Mahmood Yakubu.
The speaker, however, lamented that the federal government was treating the 2019 general election as an emergency.
Vanguard reports that the National Assembly is trying to consider approving the funding request made by President Muhammadu Buhari for the 2019 elections.
“As leaders of the National Assembly, we are committed to appropriating whatever is needed within the confines of the resources of the nation for INEC to be able to actualise this and that is why this meeting is important.
“However, personally, I have some questions that I intend to raise, but I will raise these in the process of discussion because it appears that we are treating this 2019 election as an emergency, which it ought not to be, so that is just my concern,” he said.
Dogara also stated that the legislature was committed to free, fair and credible elections in 2019.
He also urged the electoral umpire to ensure the standards were improved upon.
“I want to reiterate that we are committed to an electoral process that will better our experiences of our 2015 general elections,” he said.
NAIJ.com earlier reported that the chairmen and leaders of 45 political parties reportedly raised alarm over alleged plans to impeach the Senate president, Bukola Saraki and the speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara.
The parties raised the alarm during a solidarity visit to Saraki, in Abuja on Thursday, August 9, in connection to the recent blockade of the National Assembly by security operatives.
Nigeria Latest News How Masked DSS Gunmen Stormed the National Assembly (The True Story) Naij.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- SFU exposes bank staffers, criminals forging ATM cards
- Splinter group emerges in APC
- 2019: Buhari remembers Jonathan, tells Kannywood his surprise
- Usain Bolt, Valletta contract goes south
- Injured trio return to training for Liverpool
- Brazil to inject $1.1bn into Nigeria’s agriculture, says envoy
- Musa skips his game to sort out family matter
- Billikisu is NWPL referee of the week
- Uber announces new safety toolkit app for operators
- UBA posts all-time high gross earnings for Q3
- FG proposes N8.6trn for 2019, plans tighter fiscal plan
- Nollywood actor, Lawyer task Federal government on qualitative education
- Ekiti: Fayose tackles Fayemi, DMO over debt profile
- Volunteer Medical Corps ready for 2018 conference
- 95% of workers in mega firms think their cybersecurity culture is poor — report
- FG mandates NCC to ensure even distribution of broadband in Nigeria
- Nigeria to cut down on borrowing spree
- Suspended coach back for NFF/CBN competition
- Girl Who Was R*ped By Lecturer & His Son Has Died (Photos)
- Tinubu Buys Part Of Intels Shares From Atiku?
- See Bishop Oyedepo's Mandate Estate (Photos)
- Did You Know? Eating Too Much Fruits Causes Diabetes
- Governor Ganduje In Trouble As Kano Assembly Begins Action
- First Photos of Ooni Of Ife With His Beautiful Bride in His Palace
- Fayose's Lawyer Reveals What He's Doing To Get Him Out
- Buhari Hosts Kannywood Actors In Aso Rock (Photos)
- PHOTOS: Nnamdi Kanu Spotted In Jerusalem
- APC Defies INEC, Submits Candidates For Zamfara
- Dangerous drug for diabetes, cancer in circulation, says NIA
- Oni of Ife sets for another marriage
- 2019: PDP agenda for Saraki forwarded to INEC
- Presidential race 2019: Re-structuring a condition for supporting any candidate – Aare Ganiyu Adams
- Lagos Assembly scraps Visionscape
- Etebo seals image rights deal with Myron Topclass Sport Outfits
- Police arrest fake lawyer for false information
- NFF President,Governor Bako Lalong to receive football awards in South Africa
- PDP Members Protest Over Osun Election Tribunal
- Fraud: NHIS boss reinstated by Buhari suspended indefinitely
- Sacked Policeman & His Gang Arrested Over Woman’s Murder
- Nigerian Students Made Generator Running On Water (Photos)