Johnny Drille, a Mavin Records artiste, has said the reason why some Nigerian artistes fall out with their record labels is because they don’t understand the terms of contract.
The singer said this during an interview on Smooth FM’s, Lagos Talks, monitored by Premium Times on Thursday.
He said, “The numerous legal tussles in the Nigerian music industry can be avoided if artistes are aware of the terms of their contract. What I think is, a lot of artistes don’t pay attention to a lot of things. We (artistes) just want to make music and get music out there.
“If you even ask some artistes what licensing is they can’t even tell you neither can they tell you what copyright is. But, these are things most of us don’t pay attention to and we get to pay for them in the long run. We don’t even read contract, we don’t even try to understand them and we don’t even try to get lawyers to interpret it for us.”
During the programme, the 28-year-old singer also spoke about what his fans should expect from him this year.
He said, “I have got a few things planned out for the rest of the year. I have only released two songs this year but I plan to drop more music and videos. I am planning my first concert for this year as well, but we don’t we a certain date yet.”
He also spoke about the message behind his latest track titled Halleluluya, which features afro pop singer, Simi.
“’Halleluya’ is not exactly your typical Johnny Drille song. It has a lot of folk influences and if you listen to my previous songs you will understand that they are very heavy on folk. This new track has a lot of African vibes to it. It is also my second single on Marvin Records’ imprint.”
Born John Ighodalo, Johnny Drille, began his musical career in church. He partook in the sixth edition of Project fame in 2013.
His song “Wait for me” earned him a Headies nomination for Best Alternative Song in 2016. He officially joined Mavin Record in 2017.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Senate confirms Buhari’s nominees
- CAC registers 39,074 new business names in two months under N5,000 fees strategy
- Crisis rocks Sanwo-Olu’s campaign organization
- APC questions Okorocha, six others over anti-party activities
- Buhari defends Governor Ganduje on $5m bribe video at Town-hall Interactive Programme
- Uproars over directive to freeze CJN Onnoghen’s accounts
- PDP says Osinbajo lied
- How CUPP leaked plot to freeze Onnoghen’s accounts
- Agbakoba files suit asking Court to stop Onnoghen’s arraignment
- Even at expense of my life, I’ll privatize NNPC, says Atiku
- North ready to embrace restructuring, says el-Rufai
- Here's Man Who R*ped 78yrs Old Woman In Lagos... He has been dragged to court
- Buhari Raises Alarm: Boko Haram Sponsored By Forces Outside Nigeria
- IGP Adamu Talks Tough, Blames Poor Leadership For Problems In Nigeria Police
- Nigeria’s inflation rate shots up in December – NBS
- Theresa May survives No Confidence Vote
- Rich Kidnapper Evans Makes More Revelations
- I Feel Sad Over CJN Onnoghen's Trial – Osinbajo
- CCTV Captures The Shocking Moment Thief Scaled Fence Into A House In Lagos
- PHOTO: Atiku Bows As He Meets Ooni Of Ife
- MC Oluomo Discharged From Lagos Hospital (Photos)
- Falana Opens Up: Dangerous Precedents Being Set In CJN Case
- So Sad! Husband, Wife & Their Son Die In Terrible Accident
- Reactions Trailing FG's Latest Action Against CJN Onnoghen
- I Will Privatize NNPC, It's A Mafia Organization – Atiku
- New IGP Gives First Order To All Police Officers
- Good Doctor Hurries To Help Victims Of A Car Crash Only To Find His Fiancee Dead In The Wreckage
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- NWPL Super 4: Okon says Lagos is fertile ground for Rivers Angels
- Top 10 players to look out for in the 2018 NWPL Super 4
- Messi hungry for more after reaching 400 La Liga goals
- Cristiano Ronaldo: Kathryn Mayorga lawyer to meet Jasmine Lennard
- SAR operatives get PDP gov. into trouble
- NFF sympathises with Kanu, calls on police to track down burglars
- CJN Onnoghen Saga: FG Asks NFIU To Freeze His Accounts
- Mba returns as Force spokesperson
- Nigeria has a date with destiny in 2019 – Saraki
- Onnoghen: Osinbajo says Buhari knew about CJN trial Saturday
- Ex-NAF chief forfeits billions to FG