Johnny Drille, a Mavin Records artiste, has said the reason why some Nigerian artistes fall out with their record labels is because they don’t understand the terms of contract.
The singer said this during an interview on Smooth FM’s, Lagos Talks, monitored by Premium Times on Thursday.
He said, “The numerous legal tussles in the Nigerian music industry can be avoided if artistes are aware of the terms of their contract. What I think is, a lot of artistes don’t pay attention to a lot of things. We (artistes) just want to make music and get music out there.
“If you even ask some artistes what licensing is they can’t even tell you neither can they tell you what copyright is. But, these are things most of us don’t pay attention to and we get to pay for them in the long run. We don’t even read contract, we don’t even try to understand them and we don’t even try to get lawyers to interpret it for us.”
During the programme, the 28-year-old singer also spoke about what his fans should expect from him this year.
He said, “I have got a few things planned out for the rest of the year. I have only released two songs this year but I plan to drop more music and videos. I am planning my first concert for this year as well, but we don’t we a certain date yet.”
He also spoke about the message behind his latest track titled Halleluluya, which features afro pop singer, Simi.
“’Halleluya’ is not exactly your typical Johnny Drille song. It has a lot of folk influences and if you listen to my previous songs you will understand that they are very heavy on folk. This new track has a lot of African vibes to it. It is also my second single on Marvin Records’ imprint.”
Born John Ighodalo, Johnny Drille, began his musical career in church. He partook in the sixth edition of Project fame in 2013.
His song “Wait for me” earned him a Headies nomination for Best Alternative Song in 2016. He officially joined Mavin Record in 2017.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- How Barcelona honors Ousmane Dembele, deal partners
- APC lists 10 sins of Saraki
- Saraki Reacts To Tinubu's Allegations
- Senators tell APC to end search for scapegoats Saraki
- Rising disquiets over Ajimonbi’s demolition of Yinka Ayefele’s Radio House
- Saraki exposes Buhari-Tinubu succession pact for 2023
- UNILAG to launch centres of excellence to boost research
- We will send APC packing from Lagos – ADP
- NECO results: Students performed better in 2018, says Registrar
- Ayefele lied, Ajimobi not responsible for demolition – OYSG
- ITF organises campaigns on management of modern libraries
- Real Madrid on a move to steal a Barcelona player
- ATM dominates Banking transactions in Q2 2018
- APC Says Saraki Will Rather Rule In Hell Than Serve In Paradise
- Meet The Newly Elected NBA President
- See Nigerian Female Welder Doing Her Job Professionally
- Tambuwal Replies Tinubu
- 65yrs Old Woman Graduates (Masters) From Covenant University
- See Baby Girl With Brain Tumour Who Miraculously Recovered After Pope Francis Kissed Her
- After 5 zeroes taken off, a roll of tissue paper sells for 2.6 million bolivars in Venezuela
- Female IPOB Members Faint In Court, Rushed To Hospital (Pics)
- Demolition of Ayefele’s Fresh FM: SERAP chides Gov Ajimobi of executive rascality
- Here's The Housegirl Who Killed Her Madam In Edo
- Senator Adeleke's Certificate Saga: Matters Arising
- Security Man Steals N2m From School Account
- Nigeria Yet To Recover From Economic Recession – NBS Boss
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- NUJ Reacts To Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele's Radio House
- PDP Writes Saraki To Declare Akpabio's Seat Vacant
- Saraki, Tambuwal Are Scared Of President Buhari - Tinubu
- Outrage Over Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele’s N800m Radio Station
- Presidency Replies Saraki
- Why Jonathan Was A Better President Than Buhari - Dino Melaye
- Lagos To Shut Down Third Mainland Bridge This Week (Details)
- Giwa didn’t win any election— Jones-Ere
- Jose Mourinho: Man Utd manager says Man City ‘cannot buy class’
- Lionel Messi’s brother sentenced for possessing illegal firearm.
- D’Tigress bury hatchet; focus on World Cup preparation
- Lawmaker calls for NASS budget probe under Saraki
- Doctor convicted of sexual assault of patient gets probation