Embattled anti-corruption chief, Ibrahim Magu has raised an alarm about the growth of the cancer of corruption within the ranks of the anti-graft agency, EFCC.
The acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mr. Ibrahim Magu, has admitted that there is corruption in the EFCC.
Magu, who said this during a chat with journalists in Abuja on Wednesday, revealed that the EFCC recovered about N434bn between January and August 2017.
To buttress his point that there were corrupt elements in the anti-corruption agency, Magu said the EFCC had recently dismissed nine cadet officers for certificate forgery while some other operatives were facing trial for corruption.
He added, “The internal affairs department in the EFCC looks at issues of professional misconduct of operatives in the EFCC. Internal affairs investigate unethical conducts by our men and the internal affairs is in charge of screening prospective employees of the EFCC.
“Recently, we had to discharge about nine cadet officers because they told lies on their certificates. We are also prosecuting a lot of officers who are involved in crime. Some of them are already in court. But you can also help us by giving us information about corrupt officers because we do not condone corruption.”
Magu said N409, 270, 706,686.75; $69, 501,156.67; £231,118.69; €610,816.20; 443,400.00 dirham and 70, 500 Saudi riyal were recovered during the period under review.
The sum total of all the cash if converted into naira amounts to N434, 745, 578,118. 39. Magu noted that the over N7.6bn recovered from a former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke; and the N329bn which was returned by a number of major oil marketers in the country, formed a bulk of the total recoveries.
As regards conviction of corrupt persons, the EFCC boss said, “Between January and August this year, the EFCC recorded 137 convictions.”
While responding to questions from journalists, Magu denied reports that he and the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN), were at loggerheads.
Also speaking, the Director of the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit, Mr. Francis Usani, disagreed with the move by the National Assembly to make the NFIU a completely independent agency.
Usani said the Egmont Group of Financial Intelligence Units did not ask for the creation of the NFIU as a separate agency but only asked for a more autonomous NFIU.
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerians traumatized by your poor service, Fashola tells Discos
- Melaye seeking for cheap attention, says Bello
- Nigerian Army introduces “Happy Hour” to end inter security agencies clashes
- Dino Melaye 'Planned' Burning Of Classrooms He Built - Yahaya Bello
- See What An Angry Man Did To His Brand New Range Rover Over Misunderstanding
- Businesswoman Declares For 2019 Presidency In Abuja (Photos)
- Fans Pressure Celebrities Into Living Fake Lives - Saidi Balogun
- Oshiomhole, APC Governors Meet Kwankwaso; Urge Him Not To Dump Party (Photo)
- Distress call, Nigeria Air is already in debts
- Why I declared early for 2019 Presidential race 2019 – Buhari
- Atiku formally declares for 2019 Presidential race Saturday
- Another tragedy in Lagos: Train crushes commercial bus, three killed, many injured
- Osun 2018: Tinubu bounces back, cousin wins APC primary
- Dancing Senator, Adeleke's Alleged Certificate Saga: DSS Reacts
- Obasanjo To Women: Free Yourselves From ‘The Other Room'
- Man Arrested For Plotting His In-Law’s Kidnap, Murder
- Stranded Nigerians In Russia Return Home
- DPO, Policemen Beat Chief Magistrate, Lawyers For Discharging Robbery Suspects
- VP Osinbajo Orders 72-hour Joint Operation To Clear Apapa Traffic Gridlock
- Aregbesola’s Chief Of Staff Emerges Osun APC Governorship Candidate
- Man Arraigned For Dumping Fiancée After Duping Her
- Buhari Has Deceived Nigerians – Turaki
- UK Reacts To Ekiti Election: Vote-Buying As Bad As Rigging
- Five Important Baby Toy Safety Tips
- Buhari To Commission Bayelsa Airport With Longest Runway
- I'm Done With APC, No Going Back - Governor Ortom Declares
- Shock As Police Storm Hotel Im Delta, Nab Federal Prisons Staff, 6 Others For Kidnapping
- Son Kills Mother Over Money In Lagos
- How Buhari, APC Chairman, Governors Are Begging Saraki
- Here's The Girl Whose Body Was Dumped After She Was Killed By Her Boyfriend
- FG, States, Lgs Share N668.89b After FAAC Deadlock
- 'Kemi Adeosun's NYSC Certificate Is As Fake As Buhari's Integrity'
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- "It’s Not Our Responsibility" - Lagos BRT Staff Reply Passengers Over Dirtiness Of Bus
- Come Out Or We Declare You Wanted - Police Warns Dino Melaye
- Young Boy Kills Girlfriend, Dumps Her Dead Body By The Roadside In Edo (Details)
- "You Have Case To Answer" - Lawyer Sues APC's Joe Igbokwe Over Supreme Court Bribe Claim
- Dancing Senator, Adeleke In Certificate Scandal?
- Two Men Sitting On Moving Train In Lagos; Fall, Die (Photos)
- Covenant University Graduates 238 With First Class... Pretty Lady Emerges Overall Best