Embattled anti-corruption chief, Ibrahim Magu has raised an alarm about the growth of the cancer of corruption within the ranks of the anti-graft agency, EFCC.
The acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mr. Ibrahim Magu, has admitted that there is corruption in the EFCC.
Magu, who said this during a chat with journalists in Abuja on Wednesday, revealed that the EFCC recovered about N434bn between January and August 2017.
To buttress his point that there were corrupt elements in the anti-corruption agency, Magu said the EFCC had recently dismissed nine cadet officers for certificate forgery while some other operatives were facing trial for corruption.
He added, “The internal affairs department in the EFCC looks at issues of professional misconduct of operatives in the EFCC. Internal affairs investigate unethical conducts by our men and the internal affairs is in charge of screening prospective employees of the EFCC.
“Recently, we had to discharge about nine cadet officers because they told lies on their certificates. We are also prosecuting a lot of officers who are involved in crime. Some of them are already in court. But you can also help us by giving us information about corrupt officers because we do not condone corruption.”
Magu said N409, 270, 706,686.75; $69, 501,156.67; £231,118.69; €610,816.20; 443,400.00 dirham and 70, 500 Saudi riyal were recovered during the period under review.
The sum total of all the cash if converted into naira amounts to N434, 745, 578,118. 39. Magu noted that the over N7.6bn recovered from a former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke; and the N329bn which was returned by a number of major oil marketers in the country, formed a bulk of the total recoveries.
As regards conviction of corrupt persons, the EFCC boss said, “Between January and August this year, the EFCC recorded 137 convictions.”
While responding to questions from journalists, Magu denied reports that he and the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN), were at loggerheads.
Also speaking, the Director of the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit, Mr. Francis Usani, disagreed with the move by the National Assembly to make the NFIU a completely independent agency.
Usani said the Egmont Group of Financial Intelligence Units did not ask for the creation of the NFIU as a separate agency but only asked for a more autonomous NFIU.
Latest Nigeria News
- Lagos-Ibadan Expressway Closed As Tanker Falls, Spills Content
- JUST IN: Omisore Tells His Supporters Who To Vote Tomorrow
- Woman Finds Daughter Alive 6 Years After Being Told She Died In A House Fire (Photos)
- Buhari calls for global action against corruption
- Men divided at Man United: How Mourinho falls to Lampard after fallout with Pogba
- How Ras Kimono’s wife died
- England U20 World Cup Sensation ready to join Super Eagles
- How Linda Ikeji joins growing list of Babymamas
- Uncovering Rukky Sanda’s private hustle
- Why MPC retained interest rate at 14% –CBN
- Genevieve Nnaji’s guy is super proud of his girl
- We do Church jokes because we are church boys – Okey Bakassi
- Nollywood Actress Seen Carrying Big Coffin On Her Head (Pics)
- JSS 2 Student Who Is An Armed Robber Nabbed With Pistol
- N2.5bn fraud: Aisha Buhari reacts
- Osun rerun: Omisore ignores PDP, settles for APC
- Osun Rerun: Oshiomhole, Lai, Ganduje finally seal deal with Omisore
- Lady Gets Yam, Beans, Pawpaw As Best Creative Advert Student
- Why PDP's Adeleke Is Leading Our Candidate In Osun Election - APC Chieftain
- Policemen Used For Osun Election Involved In Fatal Accident
- Osun tie: Matters arising
- Customs generates N852m revenue in 1month
- Minimum wage: ULC threatens nationwide strike,pitch workers against insensitive politicians
- Pressure mounts on UN to fire Obasanjo
- Aisha Buhari orders arrest of her ADC over 2.5billion fraud
- NCC not interested in social media gagging bill, says Ojobo
- Lekan Shonde's Wife "Died Of Brain Injuries"
- Osun Rerun: Omisore, Lasun Agree To Help APC Fight PDP?
- Applicant Dies During FRSC Recruitment In Kogi
- Why INEC Must Declare Collected PVCs For Osun Rerun
- Nigerian Ladies Caught On CCTV Stealing From A Store
- Fear Of Dancing Senator: Oshiomhole, 5 APC Governors Run To Omisore Again
- Woman, Male Friend Nabbed for Using Drone to Monitor Osoba's House (Photos)
- Adeleke Family's Statement On "Rejecting Help" From Omisore
- Tips To Network Better With People For More Opportunities
- Buhari Sends Fayemi From US To "Beg" Omisore For Osun Rerun
- Akpabio Secures APC Nomination As Consensus Candidate
- Minimum Wage: NLC Directs Workers To Begin Strike Tomorrow
- Why My ADC Was Arrested – Aisha Buhari