Embattled anti-corruption chief, Ibrahim Magu has raised an alarm about the growth of the cancer of corruption within the ranks of the anti-graft agency, EFCC.
The acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mr. Ibrahim Magu, has admitted that there is corruption in the EFCC.
Magu, who said this during a chat with journalists in Abuja on Wednesday, revealed that the EFCC recovered about N434bn between January and August 2017.
To buttress his point that there were corrupt elements in the anti-corruption agency, Magu said the EFCC had recently dismissed nine cadet officers for certificate forgery while some other operatives were facing trial for corruption.
He added, “The internal affairs department in the EFCC looks at issues of professional misconduct of operatives in the EFCC. Internal affairs investigate unethical conducts by our men and the internal affairs is in charge of screening prospective employees of the EFCC.
“Recently, we had to discharge about nine cadet officers because they told lies on their certificates. We are also prosecuting a lot of officers who are involved in crime. Some of them are already in court. But you can also help us by giving us information about corrupt officers because we do not condone corruption.”
Magu said N409, 270, 706,686.75; $69, 501,156.67; £231,118.69; €610,816.20; 443,400.00 dirham and 70, 500 Saudi riyal were recovered during the period under review.
The sum total of all the cash if converted into naira amounts to N434, 745, 578,118. 39. Magu noted that the over N7.6bn recovered from a former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke; and the N329bn which was returned by a number of major oil marketers in the country, formed a bulk of the total recoveries.
As regards conviction of corrupt persons, the EFCC boss said, “Between January and August this year, the EFCC recorded 137 convictions.”
While responding to questions from journalists, Magu denied reports that he and the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN), were at loggerheads.
Also speaking, the Director of the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit, Mr. Francis Usani, disagreed with the move by the National Assembly to make the NFIU a completely independent agency.
Usani said the Egmont Group of Financial Intelligence Units did not ask for the creation of the NFIU as a separate agency but only asked for a more autonomous NFIU.
Latest Nigeria News
- PDP federal lawmaker defects to APC
- Govt. Shut Down: U.S senate bows under Trump pressure
- Police confiscate 13 houses, 10 cars of kidnapper Collins Ezenwa known as E-Money
- How Trump’s friend facilitated Atiku’s trip to US
- Minimum wage: Council of State approves N30000 for Fed. workers
- Man goes berserk, kills wife, children, 4 others
- High court grants Elzakzaky, wife, access to medical services, adjourns to March 25
- Oshiomhole rubbishes OBJ, Atiku
- Popular Singer buys JAMB forms for 30 students
- ECOWAS, others sets to eliminate child marriage in West Africa
- Obasanjo Laughs With Buhari In Aso Rock Today
- The last of Awo’s cavalrymen
- Obasanjo on new offensive against Buhari
- Investors lose N102bn as NSE All Shares Index declines
- Why 2019 elections will be impossible to rig – INEC
- Again, House of Reps steps down second reading of 2019 Appropriation Bill
- Senate adjourns plenary over absence of Lawmakers
- Barcelona confirm Kevin-Prince Boateng signing
- PSG ordered to include Rabiot in first-team training
- NFF can’t force me to release election forms- Taraba FA Chairman boasts
- 2019: Buhari meets Obasanjo, others at Aso Rock
- Drama As Lagos Assembly Claims Ignorance Of Ambode's 2019 Budget
- Rivers APC Case: Supreme Court's Position
- Story Of UNILAG Graduate Turned Suspected Serial R*pist
- Dino Melaye Shares First Picture After Release From Custody
- Faces Of Car-snatching Syndicate Busted By The Police
- Suspected Ritualist Lynched For Allegedly Eating Faeces
- Obasanjo Trends Over Letter To Buhari... Tinubu, Others Hit Him
- Two Men Break Into Redeemed Church, Steal Church Property
- APC Leaders Are Liars, Reject Them - Atiku
- Nigerian Footballer Sodje & Brothers Jailed In UK For Fraud
- Dino Melaye Detained By Police As They File Fresh Charges
- How I Gave Fayose $5m Cash From Security Fund - Obanikoro
- Just Imagine! This Man Spent 45 Years Of His Life In Prison For A Crime He Didn't Commit
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Tradermoni: Aso Rock fires back at Obasanjo
- Cardiff captain, 45 minutes away from death
- Court Stops Buhari, AGF From Removing CJN Onnoghen
- OMG! Man 'Beats Wife To Death' Just 2 Weeks After Giving Birth In Rivers State
- New IGP Adamu Disbands FSARS, Takes More Actions