Embattled anti-corruption chief, Ibrahim Magu has raised an alarm about the growth of the cancer of corruption within the ranks of the anti-graft agency, EFCC.
The acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mr. Ibrahim Magu, has admitted that there is corruption in the EFCC.
Magu, who said this during a chat with journalists in Abuja on Wednesday, revealed that the EFCC recovered about N434bn between January and August 2017.
To buttress his point that there were corrupt elements in the anti-corruption agency, Magu said the EFCC had recently dismissed nine cadet officers for certificate forgery while some other operatives were facing trial for corruption.
He added, “The internal affairs department in the EFCC looks at issues of professional misconduct of operatives in the EFCC. Internal affairs investigate unethical conducts by our men and the internal affairs is in charge of screening prospective employees of the EFCC.
“Recently, we had to discharge about nine cadet officers because they told lies on their certificates. We are also prosecuting a lot of officers who are involved in crime. Some of them are already in court. But you can also help us by giving us information about corrupt officers because we do not condone corruption.”
Magu said N409, 270, 706,686.75; $69, 501,156.67; £231,118.69; €610,816.20; 443,400.00 dirham and 70, 500 Saudi riyal were recovered during the period under review.
The sum total of all the cash if converted into naira amounts to N434, 745, 578,118. 39. Magu noted that the over N7.6bn recovered from a former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke; and the N329bn which was returned by a number of major oil marketers in the country, formed a bulk of the total recoveries.
As regards conviction of corrupt persons, the EFCC boss said, “Between January and August this year, the EFCC recorded 137 convictions.”
While responding to questions from journalists, Magu denied reports that he and the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN), were at loggerheads.
Also speaking, the Director of the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit, Mr. Francis Usani, disagreed with the move by the National Assembly to make the NFIU a completely independent agency.
Usani said the Egmont Group of Financial Intelligence Units did not ask for the creation of the NFIU as a separate agency but only asked for a more autonomous NFIU.
Latest Nigeria News
- Delta big boy 'Solo Pounds' nabbed for Yahoo, Armed Robbery in Ghana (Photos)
- Buhari: I've asked EFCC to account for every money recovered
- See How Woman Overpowered Thief Trying To Rob Her
- "My Wife's Money Demands Turned Me To Criminal" - Suspect Arrested In Lagos
- Popular Millionaire "Kills" Single Mother During S*x
- Buhari appoints fresh blood in CBN
- Buhari appoints new heads agencies, parastatals
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Ladies Stop Turning Us Down, We Earn More Than Many Men Wearing Suit - Keke Driver
- Suspected Lagos Yahoo-Boy Arraigned, Remanded In Prison
- CAN meets Buhari, says APC turning hiding place for corrupt politicians
- Dollar Bribe: Oshiomhole Cries Out Over Moves To Nail Him
- How S*x Outside Marriage Is Exposing People To Demons
- Buhari Reacts: Igbo leaders’ endorsement of Atiku can't stand
- Beware Of Six Factors That Ruin Marriages
- Buhari, Oshiomhole Meet In Aso Rock Over 2019
- Workers Running Out of Patience Over New Minimum Wage
- Shehu Sani Slams Governors Who Say They Can't Pay N30k
- My Vision For Better Nigeria Achievable - Buhari
- Married Female Banker Steals Customer’s N8Million In Abuja
- Why Atiku will not stay beyond 4 years as President- Aide
- Court orders Trump to restore press pass of CNN reporter
- Total National Division 1 dunks off November 27
- Volleyball: Nimrod attends FIVB Congress in Mexico
- FIFA approves Stephen Okechukwu Keshi Stadium, Asaba for Uganda friendly
- Rohr: Injuries, suspensions mean opportunities for others
- Revealed! See how much Nigeria’s political officers earn
- Onyekuru sued by baby mama over child support payment
- Super Eagles/Uganda friendly :Ikpeba,Yobo, others storm Asaba
- APC leadership style, an enduring legacy – Kasunmu
- I have only 75k in my account- Efe BBNaija admits
- NGO raises funds for cancer patients
- AfDB President speaks on Buhari’s hardline on Africa Free Trade agreement
- Dollar appreciates as Brexit deal suffers setback
- FG to set up special Banks for petty traders
- Buhari extends Seplat’s OMLs to 2038
- Buhari makes new appointments
- Don't Die Till Our Strike Is Over - Mortuary Staff Tells Ghanains
- Tope Alabi & Husband Celebrate Wedding Anniversary
- Comedian I Go Dye Writes Open Letter To President Buhari