The past year has seen a lot of our favourite artists, including the likes of Wizkid, Simi, Tiwa Savage and Davido, score some thoroughly deserved hits — flooding our airwaves with some of the best afropop songs we’ve had in a really long time.
(Photo: YouTube/Tiwa Savage)
Sadly, there were also a bunch of other fantastic songs that, due to negligence, poor timing or unappreciative listeners, quietly slipped through the cracks, and never became the monster hits they clearly deserved to be.
So, from Burna Boy's incredible "Streets Of Africa" to Seyi Shay's "Bia" to Wizkid and Ty Dolla $ign's fantastic "Highgrade", here are our picks for nine of the best songs from the past year that definitely deserved better.
Tekno ft. Wizkid — "Mama"
While it's shocking that a collaboration between two of the biggest afropop stars working today didn't utterly dominate the airwaves, we'll have to blame it on Tekno, who simply didn't push the fantastic song hard enough. We really can't figure out why it never got a music video.[embedded content]
Davido — "Like Dat"
Unfortunately, Davido's utterly fantastic "Like Dat", which got released only two weeks after the afropop star had dropped "Fia", ended up getting drowned out by the wave of his other hits. It's especially sad because the party-starter ranks among Davido's best-ever songs .[embedded content]
Seyi Shay — "Bia"
Before 2017 ran out, Seyi Shay dropped "Bia" — her best single since "Yolo Yolo" — but for whatever reason, it didn't get any attention at all. While Clarence Peters' scattershot video certainly didn't do it any favours, the song should have still performed a whole lot better than it did.[embedded content]
Burna Boy — "Streets Of Africa"
Although it didn't get nearly as much attention as "Heaven's Gate" and "Sekkle Down", the trap-tinged "Streets Of Africa" was actually the single that tipped us off to just how fantastic Burna Boy's magnum opus, Outside was going to be. We wish it, not "Devil In California", got a music video.[embedded content]
Wizkid ft. Ty Dolla $ign — "Highgrade"
A couple months ago, following the release of "Soco", Wizkid simultaneously dumped three singles on his SoundCloud page, and the strongest of the surprise releases, the fantastic Ty Dolla $ign-assisted "Highgrade", ended up getting unfairly lost in the shuffle.[embedded content]
Phyno ft. Kranium — "One Chance"
Phyno has been one of the most consistent artists in the Nigerian music industry for a while now, but it seems people only pay attention when he collaborates with Olamide. That's probably why his fantastic Kranium-aided banger, "One Chance" got entirely ignored.[embedded content]
Tiwa Savage — "Sugarcane"
Any Sugarcane single that followed Tiwa Savage's Wizkid-assisted "Ma Lo" was bound to get drowned out by sheer power of that song. Too bad it had to be the EP's fantastic title track, which even got a sweet and colourful video from Meji Alabi. What a sad waste of a bop![embedded content]
Adekunle Gold — "Money"
Although Adekunle Gold's About 30 era is just as solid as his Gold era, his singles from this album haven't performed nearly as well as the latter. Even the exceptional "Money", which felt like a perfect sequel to his 2016 hit, "Pick Up", didn't get half as much love as it deserved.[embedded content]
Niniola — "Oyin"
While Niniola's two biggest singles, "Maradona" and "Sicker" were produced by the talented Sarz, the third single we got from the pairing, the stellar r&b-influenced "Oyin", didn't have as much luck — probably because it wasn't the typical afro-house banger fans had come to expect.[embedded content]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Wedding Between 10yrs Old Boy & 8yrs Old Girl Spark Outrage
- Reasons I Lost 2015 Presidential Election - Jonathan Opens Up In 'My Transition Hours'
- Dollar Bribe: Why APC Can't Substitute Ganduje As Candidate
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Jonathan Arrives Venue Of His Book Launch Amid Ovation
- Two Yahoo Boys Arrested Over The Murder Of Delta Student Whose Br*asts Were Removed
- We Promised Change, We've Delivered Change, says Amaechi
- China's Richest Man, Jack Ma Dumps His $420bn Company, Alibaba To Become A Teacher
- Service Chiefs Left Buhari's Next Level After Realising It Was A Political Meeting
- APC Threatens To Expel Okorocha’s Son-in-law, Abe, Shittu
- How Obanikoro moved N1.2Billion for Fayose in three aircraft – Witness
- Reactions Trailing Buhari & Atiku's 2019 Promises
- Four Persons Killed As Armed Robbers Storm Bank In Ekiti
- Gbajabiamila Tells Yorubas To Reject Atiku’s SGF Offer
- Woman's Hand Chopped Off By Her Brother-in-law
- Soyinka, Others Insist On Restructuring
- Touching Story: "I Was Struck By Lightning, Lost My Dad, Had An Accident All In One Day"
- Shock As Gunmen Kidnap Female Lecturer In Broad Daylight
- Little Boy Gets A Mercedes After Doing 4,105 Press-Ups
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Remove the Immunity Clause from our constitution – Ude
- Expert task Nigerian students on self reliance
- 2019: Oshiomhole hints at what Kwara people will do to Saraki
- Dalung hails Super Eagles ‘s 2019 AFCON qualification
- Lack of friendlies make us loss to SA—Super Falcons Coach
- Eagles, Cranes set Asaba aglow in glamour friendly
- Ghana 2018: Dennerby confident Falcons will bounce back
- Pinnick dedicates AFA Award to NFF Exco, Sponsors
- This common leaf cures infertility, prostate cancer
- Atiku promises to boost oil sector investment, stop fuel subsidies
- Airtel unveil mobile security for subscribers
- NYSC denies increase in corps monthly allowance
- Subscriber slams N250m suit on MTN
- CBN still ruthlessly efficient at reining in money in circulation
- Nigeria spends N488bn to subsidise fuel consumption in 8 months
- Tinubu absent as Buhari, APC launch 2019 campaign
- Saraki’s N400m 30-state funding of APC in 2015: SERAP demands INEC to probe campaign spending
- Minimum wage: Buhari meets with governors
- Dubai Building A Rotating Skyscraper... Here Are Details
- Lady Battered, Escapes From Man Who Tried To R*pe Her