The past year has seen a lot of our favourite artists, including the likes of Wizkid, Simi, Tiwa Savage and Davido, score some thoroughly deserved hits — flooding our airwaves with some of the best afropop songs we’ve had in a really long time.
(Photo: YouTube/Tiwa Savage)
Sadly, there were also a bunch of other fantastic songs that, due to negligence, poor timing or unappreciative listeners, quietly slipped through the cracks, and never became the monster hits they clearly deserved to be.
So, from Burna Boy's incredible "Streets Of Africa" to Seyi Shay's "Bia" to Wizkid and Ty Dolla $ign's fantastic "Highgrade", here are our picks for nine of the best songs from the past year that definitely deserved better.
Tekno ft. Wizkid — "Mama"
While it's shocking that a collaboration between two of the biggest afropop stars working today didn't utterly dominate the airwaves, we'll have to blame it on Tekno, who simply didn't push the fantastic song hard enough. We really can't figure out why it never got a music video.[embedded content]
Davido — "Like Dat"
Unfortunately, Davido's utterly fantastic "Like Dat", which got released only two weeks after the afropop star had dropped "Fia", ended up getting drowned out by the wave of his other hits. It's especially sad because the party-starter ranks among Davido's best-ever songs .[embedded content]
Seyi Shay — "Bia"
Before 2017 ran out, Seyi Shay dropped "Bia" — her best single since "Yolo Yolo" — but for whatever reason, it didn't get any attention at all. While Clarence Peters' scattershot video certainly didn't do it any favours, the song should have still performed a whole lot better than it did.[embedded content]
Burna Boy — "Streets Of Africa"
Although it didn't get nearly as much attention as "Heaven's Gate" and "Sekkle Down", the trap-tinged "Streets Of Africa" was actually the single that tipped us off to just how fantastic Burna Boy's magnum opus, Outside was going to be. We wish it, not "Devil In California", got a music video.[embedded content]
Wizkid ft. Ty Dolla $ign — "Highgrade"
A couple months ago, following the release of "Soco", Wizkid simultaneously dumped three singles on his SoundCloud page, and the strongest of the surprise releases, the fantastic Ty Dolla $ign-assisted "Highgrade", ended up getting unfairly lost in the shuffle.[embedded content]
Phyno ft. Kranium — "One Chance"
Phyno has been one of the most consistent artists in the Nigerian music industry for a while now, but it seems people only pay attention when he collaborates with Olamide. That's probably why his fantastic Kranium-aided banger, "One Chance" got entirely ignored.[embedded content]
Tiwa Savage — "Sugarcane"
Any Sugarcane single that followed Tiwa Savage's Wizkid-assisted "Ma Lo" was bound to get drowned out by sheer power of that song. Too bad it had to be the EP's fantastic title track, which even got a sweet and colourful video from Meji Alabi. What a sad waste of a bop![embedded content]
Adekunle Gold — "Money"
Although Adekunle Gold's About 30 era is just as solid as his Gold era, his singles from this album haven't performed nearly as well as the latter. Even the exceptional "Money", which felt like a perfect sequel to his 2016 hit, "Pick Up", didn't get half as much love as it deserved.[embedded content]
Niniola — "Oyin"
While Niniola's two biggest singles, "Maradona" and "Sicker" were produced by the talented Sarz, the third single we got from the pairing, the stellar r&b-influenced "Oyin", didn't have as much luck — probably because it wasn't the typical afro-house banger fans had come to expect.[embedded content]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- "It’s Not Our Responsibility" - Lagos BRT Staff Reply Passengers Over Dirtiness Of Bus
- Come Out Or We Declare You Wanted - Police Warns Dino Melaye
- Young Boy Kills Girlfriend, Dumps Her Dead Body By The Roadside In Edo (Details)
- "You Have Case To Answer" - Lawyer Sues APC's Joe Igbokwe Over Supreme Court Bribe Claim
- Dancing Senator, Adeleke In Certificate Scandal?
- Two Men Sitting On Moving Train In Lagos; Fall, Die (Photos)
- Covenant University Graduates 238 With First Class... Pretty Lady Emerges Overall Best
- Young Soldier Killed After Being Lured Out By A Lady (Photos)
- Baby Rescued After Being Put Under Trailer By Mum To Be Crushed
- Presidential race 2019: Atiku will send Buhari packing from Aso Rock in 2019 – PDP
- MTN lost N12bn in four days of picketing by NLC
- I still have ten more year in boxing –A. Joshua
- Criminal intent applications fuelling cyber security threat — UN
- What Cristiano Ronaldo said about Messi after Juventus unveiling
- INEC admits votes buying in Ekiti governorship election
- The importance of integrating “ethics” in education
- Avoid Ponzi Schemes – SEC warns Nigerians
- NLNG seeks $7 billion for sustainability and Train 7 expansion
- NLNG awards FEED contracts for Train 7
- Presidency Insults Nigerian Elders? Says They're Hungry, Shedding Crocodile Tears On Security
- Photos Of Tuface and His Cute Sons In New York
- 2019: President Buhari Speaks On His Bid For A Second Term
- Markets Shut Down In Abeokuta In Honour Of Late King
- NFF crisis may ruin Nigeria’s chances in AFCON 2019 — Rohr
- BB star Olumide becomes PEAK Sports Ambassador
- Daniel Etor set to face compatriots, Kingsley, Ajayi in pre-season camping
- Shooting Stars Bring Benin Republic U-20 team to Ibadan
- Buhari responds to Obasanjo’s letter, coalition communique
- Nigerian Billionaire Buys His Wife A Benz To Celebrate Their 23rd Wedding Anniversary
- Doctor Who Flogged A Nurse In Lagos Arrested and Charged
- APC's Joe Igbokwe Apologises For Accusing Supreme Court Of Taking Bribe
- Nigerians Arrested In Ghana With Drugs Concealed In Stockfish
- Jonathan Celebrates Okonjo-Iweala On Her Twitter Appointment
- 9 Nigerian Ladies Trafficked To Russia For S*xual Slavery Freed
- 4 Notorious Kidnappers Terrorizing Rivers State Shot Dead
- Married Man Who Lost His Leg & Arm In Accident (Touching Story)
- "I Almost Bled To Death" - Popular Writer Pius Adesanmi Survives Terrible Accident
- Two Brothers Nabbed For Stealing From A Dead Man In Lagos
- You Can't Trust Your Feelings, Allow The Lord Help You
- NYSC Lodge Attacked By Armed Robbers In Army Uniforms