The past year has seen a lot of our favourite artists, including the likes of Wizkid, Simi, Tiwa Savage and Davido, score some thoroughly deserved hits — flooding our airwaves with some of the best afropop songs we’ve had in a really long time.
(Photo: YouTube/Tiwa Savage)
Sadly, there were also a bunch of other fantastic songs that, due to negligence, poor timing or unappreciative listeners, quietly slipped through the cracks, and never became the monster hits they clearly deserved to be.
So, from Burna Boy's incredible "Streets Of Africa" to Seyi Shay's "Bia" to Wizkid and Ty Dolla $ign's fantastic "Highgrade", here are our picks for nine of the best songs from the past year that definitely deserved better.
Tekno ft. Wizkid — "Mama"
While it's shocking that a collaboration between two of the biggest afropop stars working today didn't utterly dominate the airwaves, we'll have to blame it on Tekno, who simply didn't push the fantastic song hard enough. We really can't figure out why it never got a music video.[embedded content]
Davido — "Like Dat"
Unfortunately, Davido's utterly fantastic "Like Dat", which got released only two weeks after the afropop star had dropped "Fia", ended up getting drowned out by the wave of his other hits. It's especially sad because the party-starter ranks among Davido's best-ever songs .[embedded content]
Seyi Shay — "Bia"
Before 2017 ran out, Seyi Shay dropped "Bia" — her best single since "Yolo Yolo" — but for whatever reason, it didn't get any attention at all. While Clarence Peters' scattershot video certainly didn't do it any favours, the song should have still performed a whole lot better than it did.[embedded content]
Burna Boy — "Streets Of Africa"
Although it didn't get nearly as much attention as "Heaven's Gate" and "Sekkle Down", the trap-tinged "Streets Of Africa" was actually the single that tipped us off to just how fantastic Burna Boy's magnum opus, Outside was going to be. We wish it, not "Devil In California", got a music video.[embedded content]
Wizkid ft. Ty Dolla $ign — "Highgrade"
A couple months ago, following the release of "Soco", Wizkid simultaneously dumped three singles on his SoundCloud page, and the strongest of the surprise releases, the fantastic Ty Dolla $ign-assisted "Highgrade", ended up getting unfairly lost in the shuffle.[embedded content]
Phyno ft. Kranium — "One Chance"
Phyno has been one of the most consistent artists in the Nigerian music industry for a while now, but it seems people only pay attention when he collaborates with Olamide. That's probably why his fantastic Kranium-aided banger, "One Chance" got entirely ignored.[embedded content]
Tiwa Savage — "Sugarcane"
Any Sugarcane single that followed Tiwa Savage's Wizkid-assisted "Ma Lo" was bound to get drowned out by sheer power of that song. Too bad it had to be the EP's fantastic title track, which even got a sweet and colourful video from Meji Alabi. What a sad waste of a bop![embedded content]
Adekunle Gold — "Money"
Although Adekunle Gold's About 30 era is just as solid as his Gold era, his singles from this album haven't performed nearly as well as the latter. Even the exceptional "Money", which felt like a perfect sequel to his 2016 hit, "Pick Up", didn't get half as much love as it deserved.[embedded content]
Niniola — "Oyin"
While Niniola's two biggest singles, "Maradona" and "Sicker" were produced by the talented Sarz, the third single we got from the pairing, the stellar r&b-influenced "Oyin", didn't have as much luck — probably because it wasn't the typical afro-house banger fans had come to expect.[embedded content]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Totti: I tried to get Ronaldo, Ibramovich to Roma
- Inter, Icardi disagrees over renewal salary
- Court jails two over Malabu oil bribery scandal
- Messi’s UCL conquest, Ronaldo still ahead
- Mariano Diaz: Wearing the No. 7 shirt is a great responsibility
- 10 champions League shock that shook the world
- Akwa Ibom reiterates commitment to early completion of airport
- Lescott: David Silva is the best player I have ever played with
- Robertson: Sturridge summer up the spirit in our squad
- N3.48bn fraud: Panel sets to arrest Senator Nwaoboshi
- IMF advises Nigeria to focus on structural reforms
- Group berates MTN over constant abuse of extant laws
- 16 Proven Health Benefits, Uses Of Coconut Oil
- Amaju Pinnick re-elected NFF president
- France, Belgium tops latest FIFA rankings
- Ferdinand: Ronaldo’s tears, so emotional
- Notorious Armed Robber/Cultist Shot Dead In Lagos
- Oshiomhole Settles With Governors; States Can Decide Mode Of Primaries
- Story of 12yrs Old Orphan Left to Care for 4 Kids After The Death of Her Elder Sister
- Lagos 2019: Ambode, Fashola dare Tinubu
- Nigeria, Congo to account for 40% of world’s poorest soon – Report
- Drilling slows in Nigeria but oil production rose
- FG to gather N17bn from sale of 21% stake in Nigeria Security Printing & Minting Coy
- Trump tells OPEC to lower oil prices
- Multiple shooting in Maryland
- So Beautiful! Female Corper & Her Baby Dress In NYSC Outfit For Birthday Shoot
- Amaju Pinnick Wins NFF Election, Re-elected For 2nd Term
- Speaker Dogara Arrives PDP Headquarters
- Buhari's Corruption Fighter, Obono-obla Under Pressure To Resign Over 'Fake' WAEC
- Children Surprise Dad With The Car He Sold To Pay For Their Mom’s Treatment
- Tinubu Shed Tears At Meeting With Buhari Over Ambode
- See Cute Photo of Jay Jay Okocha & His Handsome Son
- Wife Scalds Husband With Hot Water During A Fight Over Food
- Robbers Break Into Lagos Canteen, Cart Away Pots Of Soup and Other Foods
- Meet Akintola Williams, First Chartered Accountant In Africa
- Thief Tries To Have S*x With Lady While She Was Sleeping... and this happened
- Telcos to fund researches, innovations, says NCC boss
- Misapplication of funds: President fires Minister
- Why 9mobile takeover is being delayed – NCC
- End of road for Air Nigeria