In most parts of the world, people believe being incarcerated is the end of someone’s life. So, it’s not surprising that they use words like ‘fear’, ‘rage’ and ‘violence’ when talking about prisons. However, Irene Auma is changing the narrative for female prisoners in Kenya through the country’s first-ever yoga-in-prisons program.
Using her initiative, Peace Within Prison Yoga (PWPY) Auma gets female prisoners to come together for yoga and meditation. This creates a relaxed environment in which the inmates openly reflect on their crimes, thereby making their rehabilitation easy.
Being in prison takes its toll on inmates’ self-esteem; it doesn’t matter how long the sentences last. If care is not taken, their health can also be affected.
But, thanks to the yoga instructor, the female prisoners are feeling the mental and physical impacts of yoga. Not only are they getting their self-esteem back, their outlook on life has changed.
Speaking about what inspires her to do more in her work, Auma said:
“[The female prisoners] are here with different cases and some are sad, some are missing their families. They are missing their normal lives and I do it because it is a service to humanity.”
You can follow PWPY on Instagram.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Busquet to negotiate improved Barca deal
- Strong Man Lifts His Fiancee In Loved Up Pre-Wedding Photos
- Ambode Already Has Governorship Ticket Of Another Party?
- Oshiomhole Talks Tough: Saraki, Dogara Are Mistakes, We'll Deal With Their Types
- Your SAN Rank Can Be Withdrawn - CJN Warns As Top Lawyers Are Nabbed For Forgery
- PHOTO: Saraki, Senator Adeleke Meet Over Osun Rerun
- VP Osinbajo Visits Koton Karfe, Kogi, Inspects Areas Hit By Flood
- PDP Aspirants Opposed to PH Venue Are Enemies of Niger Delta - Gov Wike
- Gallant soldiers kill 7 Boko Haram terrorists, rescue 73 hostages
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Shehu Sani, Sule Lamido, Others Escapes Azman Air Disaster In Abuja
- PDP takes INEC to court, demands arrest of Osun returning officer
- APC Expels High-ranking House Of Reps Member
- Pretty Lady Celebrates Grandmother's 95th Birthday With Stylish Photoshoot
- Ambode Must Face Sanwo-Olu In Direct Primary - Lagos APC
- Jubilation As Notorious Kidnapper Is Captured By Police In Imo
- Tension In Osun As Security Allegedly Side APC, Arrest PDP Man Over PVC Allegation
- UNILAG Female Student Arrested For Stealing Money Through ATM Card (Photos)
- Armed Robbers Captured With Weapons & Charms By Police
- PDP Presidential Convention: Leaders Fight Over Rivers Venue
- Osun Rerun: "INEC Giving PVCs To APC Govt officials" - CUPP
- Why Adeleke Should Have Been Declared Winner - Ozekhome
- Flood Destroys Buhari's Spokesman, Garba Shehu's Farm
- Protest At INEC Office In Osun Over Inconclusive Election
- Osun Re-run: SDP's Omisore Lists Condition To Support PDP
- Analysts’ advice CBN to retain rates as MPC meets
- Ambode to challenge Tinubu’s anointed, others for APC ticket
- Ben Arfa to sue PSG
- Naira stabilizes at expense of declining external reserves
- David Luiz: Chelsea, too slow against Westham
- More Photos Of Saraki & Omisore After Their Meeting Today
- Footballer Impregnates 3 Ladies & All Give Birth Within 6 Weeks
- Kwankwaso Makes Surprise Visit To Kano, Received By Crowd
- Otedola, Dangote Spotted At FIFA Best Awards
- 2019: Prophet Jeremiah Fufeyin Cautions Men Of God
- Popular Bus Company's Driver Allegedly Slept Off On Steering, Leading To Crash
- Nigerian Man Made King In America After Undergoing Cleansing
- Female Kidnapper Speaks: I Don't Regret My Action, I Love Money
- Man Who Trekked For Buhari Visits PDP With "RIP APC" Coffin
- State governor to face death row