One of the presidential aspirants who is yet to identify with any political party, Omodele Sowore, has rejected the merger 39 political parties and movements led by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the Reformed – All Progressives Congress (R-APC) that led to the formation of a Coalition of United Political Parties (CUPP) to wrest power from the Buhari-led APC in 2019.
Sowore contended that from the outset, his group, the TakeItBack Movement has made it clear that what the members seek is a complete transformation of the Nigerian political process. “The solution to Nigeria’s problems cannot be found with the same parties and persons who created and contributed to those challenges in the first place,” he said.
He pointed out that the PDP and APC (or the R-APC) are two sides of the same bad coin. For almost two decades, these two parties have been responsible for unbridled corruption and rapacious damage to Nigeria’s economy and her moral fabric, Sowore stated; insisting that, “the solution to Nigeria’s challenges cannot be found with any of these parties, or in any coalition of the desperate, that they put together.”
A statement from his Campaign office declared: “The TakeitBack Movement and our Convener, Omoyele Sowore, cannot and will never be part of any coalition that includes these corrupt and morally bankrupt parties. We are NOT so desperate to win that we would sacrifice our integrity, or the trust of the Nigerian people.”
It was further argued: “The path of honour and integrity is a long, arduous and sometimes lonely one. We believe there are no short cuts to progress. We are committed to towing the path of honour – however lonely and challenging that path might be. We are convinced that the Nigerian people are not seeking to replace one set of thieves with another set of recycled rogues in 2019. “
Sowore insisted that, “the TakeitBack movement remains committed to working with progressive, people-oriented parties that are dedicated to the transformation and the progress of the Nigerian nation.”
He disclosed that at the end of July, the Movement would be announcing the political party that the TakeitBack Movement will be using as a platform for the 2019 elections, as well as the members of their coalition of progressive parties and organisations.
“We urge Nigerians to remain vigilant. Nigeria MUST progress,” the statement declared.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- PDP chairman rates Atiku candidacy in opposition party
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Wins Osun PDP Governorship Ticket
- Dino Melaye Cries Out: "They Want To Kill Me"
- PDP Engages Top SAN To Lead Battle Against APC's Fayemi
- Good Man Drowns After Rescuing Pregnant Woman
- Buhari, Oshiomhole Upsetting R-APC Defection Plan?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports
- Woman Sets House On Fire Because She Was Not Invited To A Party
- This New Pocket-sized Drone Takes Selfie To A New Level
- Story of Nigerian Billionaire Who Owns 5 Airports In The UK
- Midnight Fire Razes Hundreds Of Shops In Jos Main Market
- Saraki Rejects Buhari's Plea? Summons Loyalist On Defection
- Nursing Mother and Her Kids Arrested After Her Husband Bought A Stolen Phone
- Gowon stirs Buhari anger as he suspects unwillingness of FG, Nigerian Army, other security agencies to curb killer herdsmen, Miyetti Allah
- Lagos gets FIBA nod as 2019 World Cup qualifiers host
- Enyimba’s July return to Aba shifted
- DIAMOND GOLDEN: Okagbare Manages 8 out of 8 spots
- NFF Dispute: In search of honour for our Otunba and Distinguished Senator
- Ronaldo ‘accepts’ two-year suspended prison sentence
- FF President appoints Obasi,Martins PS ,senior communication officer
- Buhari orders Dalung to resolve NFF crisis or resign
- I didn’t sign any petition against Warri Wolves —Etebo
- Dalung convoy involved in accident in Gombe
- 19-year-old man stabs 18-year-old girlfriend to death in Edo
- APC desperate to keep Saraki, others ahead of 2019
- Outrage Over Police Officer Who Beat Up Woman Carrying Baby
- 2019: Atiku Declares Presidential Bid, Tackles Buhari-led Govt.
- Yoruba coalition against Buhari splits as Afenifere gets rival
- How Access Bank staff stole N1.2bn from customers – Witness
- Son kills mother over N20,000 pocket money in Lagos
- Multiple Accident In Front of Uyo Stadium Caused By Phone Call
- Kidnappers Think Mikel Gives Me Millions, He Doesn't Even Call Me - Father Opens Up
- Nigerians traumatized by your poor service, Fashola tells Discos
- Melaye seeking for cheap attention, says Bello
- Nigerian Army introduces “Happy Hour” to end inter security agencies clashes
- Dino Melaye 'Planned' Burning Of Classrooms He Built - Yahaya Bello
- See What An Angry Man Did To His Brand New Range Rover Over Misunderstanding
- Businesswoman Declares For 2019 Presidency In Abuja (Photos)
- Fans Pressure Celebrities Into Living Fake Lives - Saidi Balogun