African Heads of State at the 31st AU Summit in Mauritania last week lamented that about 25 per cent of Africa’s average Gross Domestic Product (GDP) reflects a huge drain on Africa’s productivity. They bemoaned that the continent loses about $148 billion annually to corruption.
The AU leaders, therefore, resolved to prevent more billions from being stolen by seeking to abolish banking secrecy and tax havens.
The leaders deliberated on a mechanism to return corruptly acquired funds, most of which are hidden in countries that allow the practices.
National Daily learnt that Senegalese tax inspector, Elimane Pouye, articulated that the fight against corruption in Africa requires more than just statements at international summits.
He remarked that “these measures are usually just a facade;” noting that “donors put pressure on states to show they are fighting corruption so that they can receive aid.”
It was noted that offshore entities are not illegal, but banking secrecy in places like Mauritius and Luxembourg can be used to evade taxes and hide illegally obtained cash.
Elimane Kane, head of LEGS-Africa, a think-tank promoting ethical governance across the continent, was gathered to have decried that too few African heads of state have taken a stand against corruption.
Kane had remarked that Paul Kagame has done good work in Rwanda; but there are many African leaders who take advantage of tax havens.
It was recalled that the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists has been shining light on the shadowy world of offshore banking with the publication of leaked documents known as the Panama and Paradise Papers.
This year, the ICIJ worked with a network of West African journalists to study approximately 30 million leaked documents, now known as the West Africa Leaks.
Their findings revealed the secret companies and bank accounts of some of the region’s most powerful politicians and business leaders.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Abdusalami says he hates certain politicians warming up for 2019
- Osun Election: APC Candidate, Gboyega Oyetola Casts His Vote
- Amaechi Reacts: Abe conspiring with Wike to pull me down
- NYSC Replies Minister Adebayo Shittu: "You Have No Excuse"
- ADC Governorship Candidate Cast His Vote In Osun Election
- FRSC Officials Beg As Mob Beats Them For "Causing" Accident
- Osun Election: Cadet Claiming To Be INEC Official Nabbed
- Atiku, Saraki, others divide PDP BoT
- PDP agent arrested for buying votes in Adeleke’s LGA
- Osun Election Photos: PDP's Adeleke Casts His Vote
- Pastor Goes Into Hiding After He Was Shot In Port Harcourt
- "How Big Politician R*ped Me In Hotel' - Nigerian Lady Cries
- Rivers State Overtakes Lagos As Top Investment Destination
- Man Shot In The Head, Dies During Shoot-out In APC Secretariat
- Tambuwal: Buhari now desperate to perpetuate self in power
- Police Arrest Drver For Allegedly Killing Professor
- Lai Mohammed Replies PDP: You're Now Panic Mode
- S*x, Alcohol, Hard Drugs: Revelations On Life In NYSC Camps
- Minimum Wage: FG Makes New Promises Over NLC Ultimatum
- Jimi Agbaje; Time to Free Lagos State is Now
- "Ambode Will Get PDP Form From Me, I'll Sell My House & Buy it"
- Mother of 7 Runs Out N*ked During S*x With Man, Dies Openly... family suspects ritual (photo)
- PDP Raises Alarm: 9 APC Governors In Osun To Rig Election
- White Man Crushed To Death On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway Due To High Speed
- 2019: Tension In APC, Senators To Decamp As Oshiomhole Back Governors for Indirect Primary
- Man In Trouble As Lagos Runs Girl He Slept With Escaped With His Boss N5m SUV
- LAGOS 2019: Ambode, Tinubu Meeting Today For "Last" Chance
- OSUN Election: Candidates Bribing Voters N10k As Voting Opens
- Neighbour St*bs Family Man To Death Over Bathroom
- We Have Placed Top Politicians Under Surveillance To Check Vote-Buying - EFCC
- Don't Panic, Your Money Is Intact - CBN Assures All Ex-Skye Bank Customers
- PDP Should Give Us Vice Presidency Or Lose South East To APC - Ohanaeze Youths
- See What Soldiers Found In A Pond As They Search For Missing General
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Prince Oladimeji charges Kwara United to win 2018 Aiteo Cup
- Maigari concedes defeat to Pinnick in NFF presidential election
- NBS to spend $3.5m on poverty statistics survey
- Delta Air to launch first biometric terminal in the U.S
- FG abolishes payment of Overstay fees by dual citizens
- Polaris Bank takes over distressed Skye Bank assets