Reports have emerged on the incident that led to the killing of two police personnel in Rivers State.
The two personnel were killed by an armed criminal gang along Rumuosi-Ozuoba link road in Obio-Akpor Local Government Area of the State.
The Rivers State Police Command confirmed the killings.
Spokesman of the command, Nnamdi Omonia said one of the criminals also lost his life in a shootout with an officer who escaped the onslaught.
Omoni, a Deputy Superintendent of Police said that the criminals opened fire on the police personal who were on stop and search operations last night along the road, killed two and catered away their arms.
The spokesman added that the commissioner of police had ordered investigation into the incident to arrest the perpetrators of the act.
But contrary to the claims of the Police PRO that the personnel were on routine stop and search duty, sources say they were demanding for bribes from motorists.
The source who is a resident of Rumuosi told DAILY POST that the police officers were fond of creating illegal road block along the Rumuosi-Ozuoba road to take N50 bribe from motorists.
The source said, “One of the officers who was not close to the road block shot dead one of the criminals. The other criminals escaped with police arms.
“Every night, the police officers come along this Ozuoba road to take bribe from keke riders and taxi drivers. They don’t stop and search anything. They were doing illegal business, that is why those boys caught them unawares.”
“The incident is avoidable but the police have themselves to blame. Let them stop all this N50 thing and do their work well,” he said.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- PDP chairman rates Atiku candidacy in opposition party
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Wins Osun PDP Governorship Ticket
- Dino Melaye Cries Out: "They Want To Kill Me"
- PDP Engages Top SAN To Lead Battle Against APC's Fayemi
- Good Man Drowns After Rescuing Pregnant Woman
- Buhari, Oshiomhole Upsetting R-APC Defection Plan?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports
- Woman Sets House On Fire Because She Was Not Invited To A Party
- This New Pocket-sized Drone Takes Selfie To A New Level
- Story of Nigerian Billionaire Who Owns 5 Airports In The UK
- Midnight Fire Razes Hundreds Of Shops In Jos Main Market
- Saraki Rejects Buhari's Plea? Summons Loyalist On Defection
- Nursing Mother and Her Kids Arrested After Her Husband Bought A Stolen Phone
- Gowon stirs Buhari anger as he suspects unwillingness of FG, Nigerian Army, other security agencies to curb killer herdsmen, Miyetti Allah
- Lagos gets FIBA nod as 2019 World Cup qualifiers host
- Enyimba’s July return to Aba shifted
- DIAMOND GOLDEN: Okagbare Manages 8 out of 8 spots
- NFF Dispute: In search of honour for our Otunba and Distinguished Senator
- Ronaldo ‘accepts’ two-year suspended prison sentence
- FF President appoints Obasi,Martins PS ,senior communication officer
- Buhari orders Dalung to resolve NFF crisis or resign
- I didn’t sign any petition against Warri Wolves —Etebo
- Dalung convoy involved in accident in Gombe
- 19-year-old man stabs 18-year-old girlfriend to death in Edo
- APC desperate to keep Saraki, others ahead of 2019
- Outrage Over Police Officer Who Beat Up Woman Carrying Baby
- 2019: Atiku Declares Presidential Bid, Tackles Buhari-led Govt.
- Yoruba coalition against Buhari splits as Afenifere gets rival
- How Access Bank staff stole N1.2bn from customers – Witness
- Son kills mother over N20,000 pocket money in Lagos
- Multiple Accident In Front of Uyo Stadium Caused By Phone Call
- Kidnappers Think Mikel Gives Me Millions, He Doesn't Even Call Me - Father Opens Up
- Nigerians traumatized by your poor service, Fashola tells Discos
- Melaye seeking for cheap attention, says Bello
- Nigerian Army introduces “Happy Hour” to end inter security agencies clashes
- Dino Melaye 'Planned' Burning Of Classrooms He Built - Yahaya Bello
- See What An Angry Man Did To His Brand New Range Rover Over Misunderstanding
- Businesswoman Declares For 2019 Presidency In Abuja (Photos)
- Fans Pressure Celebrities Into Living Fake Lives - Saidi Balogun