Reports have emerged on the incident that led to the killing of two police personnel in Rivers State.
The two personnel were killed by an armed criminal gang along Rumuosi-Ozuoba link road in Obio-Akpor Local Government Area of the State.
The Rivers State Police Command confirmed the killings.
Spokesman of the command, Nnamdi Omonia said one of the criminals also lost his life in a shootout with an officer who escaped the onslaught.
Omoni, a Deputy Superintendent of Police said that the criminals opened fire on the police personal who were on stop and search operations last night along the road, killed two and catered away their arms.
The spokesman added that the commissioner of police had ordered investigation into the incident to arrest the perpetrators of the act.
But contrary to the claims of the Police PRO that the personnel were on routine stop and search duty, sources say they were demanding for bribes from motorists.
The source who is a resident of Rumuosi told DAILY POST that the police officers were fond of creating illegal road block along the Rumuosi-Ozuoba road to take N50 bribe from motorists.
The source said, “One of the officers who was not close to the road block shot dead one of the criminals. The other criminals escaped with police arms.
“Every night, the police officers come along this Ozuoba road to take bribe from keke riders and taxi drivers. They don’t stop and search anything. They were doing illegal business, that is why those boys caught them unawares.”
“The incident is avoidable but the police have themselves to blame. Let them stop all this N50 thing and do their work well,” he said.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerian Couple In Lovely Village-themed Pre-wedding Photos
- Court Revokes Uzor Kalu's Bail, Orders His Arrest
- Wike & His Wife Lay Hands On Each Other's Head During Prayer
- Ibrahim Magu Dodges Question On Ganduje Bribery Video
- Young Girl Who Lives In Lagos Trash Site Finally Gets Help
- PHOTOS: Man Stealing Female Panties Caught Red Handed
- Boss Who Killed Fuel Station Manager Over N40k Arrested
- EFCC Asked To Investigate Bribery Case Against Oshiomhole
- Pics From Actress Linda Ejiofor & Ibrahim Suleiman Wedding
- See What Buhari's Education Minister Said About ASUU When He Wasn't A Minister
- Another Nigerian Bank on brinks of collapse
- Don’t bet on Naira’s devaluation soon, says CBN
- How APC governorship candidate was arrested for corruption
- Stop playing politics with Nigeria’s budget, Olujimi tells Presidency
- DSS Cannot Demand My Resignation – Oshiomhole
- Pretty Lady Arrested After 'Good' Man Transferred N5m To Her
- Okorocha Replies Oshiomhole: You're Father Of Nepotism With Family Members In Govt.
- Boko Haram Goes Mad, Burns Down 65 Houses
- Woman Arrested After Doing This To Her Husband's Daughter
- Passengers Narrowly Escape Accident As FRSC Official Fights Driver (Photos)
- Photos From Mike Bamiloye's Son, Damilola's White Wedding
- Lagos Couple Welcome Triplets After 13 Years Of Marriage
- Oshiomhole Reacts: Why Will I Go To London To See Tinubu
- How This Beautiful Girl Was Shot Dead, Mother In Tears
- APC Guber Candidate In Imo, Hope Uzodinma Arrested
- PDP Reacts To Security Search On Atiku As He Returns Home
- Businessman Dies During S*x With Woman In Hotel... she was nabbed trying to escape
- Gov. Obaseki Supports Oshiomhole Against Fellow Governors
- Sanwo-Olu, Agbaje Laugh & Party Together In Lagos
- My Life Is Being Threatened, says New Ondo Speaker
- Lady Takes Off Clothes, Runs Mad In Lagos Due To 'High' Drink
- See What The First Made-In-Africa Smartphone Looks Like
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- FG defends action against Atiku, others
- Side chic, old lover in deathly affair in Awka hotel
- Financial services sector dominates H1 2018 on the NSE
- Dana Air flies oldest planes in Nigeria
- Atiku alleges harassment by security agents
- HSCB here to launder money, Keyamo alleges
- EFCC plots Alison-Madueke extradition to Nigeria