The Chairman, Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption, PACAC, Prof. Itse Sagay, has said looted assets recovered since the inception of President Muhammadu Buhari’s government has risen above one trillion Naira.
Sagay, who stated this at a roundtable organised to mark the 2018 African Anti-corruption Day in Abuja, disclosed that the sum of $321m, $400m and $73m were recovered by the government from Switzerland, USA, and UK respectively.
He also said, so far, billions of Dollars have been traced to the functionaries of the last government and their associates all over the world; stressing that the war against corruption has been successful under the current administration.
According to him, only beneficiaries of corruption and intellectually challenged persons were criticising the progresses made by the government in its fight against corruption.
He said: “Contrary to the narrative been pushed by the aggrieved beneficiaries of corruption, hardly a day passes without the publication of a court order of forfeiture of looted funds, landed properties and other assets.
“Within Nigeria, the value of assets recovered has risen to about one trillion Naira. Money recovered from abroad has followed the same pattern; Switzerland ($321m), the USA (over $400m) and the UK ($73m).
“The era of easy unearned fraudulent money is over. Petrol subsidy scam bleeding us to the tune of N360bn a year has been stopped. The wealthy have been compelled to start paying taxes and enhanced funding has been coming from FIRS and Customs and Excise department.
“From the Treasury Single Account, it is estimated that over N3trn has been mopped up. Funds hidden in unnumbered accounts or lodged under fake names are being unearthed and transferred to the mainstream of our economy.
“In addition to this, the government has now started securing conviction of high profile persons. Three former governors have been convicted for corruption. So, too has a Senior Advocate of Nigeria.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Remove the Immunity Clause from our constitution – Ude
- Expert task Nigerian students on self reliance
- 2019: Oshiomhole hints at what Kwara people will do to Saraki
- Dalung hails Super Eagles ‘s 2019 AFCON qualification
- Lack of friendlies make us loss to SA—Super Falcons Coach
- Eagles, Cranes set Asaba aglow in glamour friendly
- Ghana 2018: Dennerby confident Falcons will bounce back
- Pinnick dedicates AFA Award to NFF Exco, Sponsors
- This common leaf cures infertility, prostate cancer
- Atiku promises to boost oil sector investment, stop fuel subsidies
- Airtel unveil mobile security for subscribers
- NYSC denies increase in corps monthly allowance
- Subscriber slams N250m suit on MTN
- CBN still ruthlessly efficient at reining in money in circulation
- Nigeria spends N488bn to subsidise fuel consumption in 8 months
- Tinubu absent as Buhari, APC launch 2019 campaign
- Saraki’s N400m 30-state funding of APC in 2015: SERAP demands INEC to probe campaign spending
- Minimum wage: Buhari meets with governors
- Dubai Building A Rotating Skyscraper... Here Are Details
- Lady Battered, Escapes From Man Who Tried To R*pe Her
- NLC, NANS rally for ASUU in Abuja
- Court remands randy Professor in prison
- Confusion trails Teleology’s takeover of 9mobile
- APC Legal Adviser battles Oshiomhole
- 2 houses burnt, 3 killed as birthday turns bloody
- Monkey kills 12-day-old baby after snatching him from mum
- 5 APC members dies in kwara ghastly motor accident
- Obasanjo sues journalist who accused him of killing Bola Ige
- DSTV: Subscribers demand pay-as-you-view billing system
- See Covenant University VC's Beautiful Wife & Kids (Photos)
- 2019: What Will Happen In Nigeria If Atiku Defeats Buhari
- Buhari Campaign Faults Atiku
- See What Woman Did To This Man In Delta (Graphic Photo)
- Atiku Reacts As Service Chiefs Attend Buhari's APC Political Campaign Launch
- Dejan Lovren: we shut Spain up
- Ronaldo and Georgina in church in Turin: wedding preparations?
- Juventus wants Asensio
- Bride & Groom Killed In Road Crash On Way To Their Wedding
- Missing Delta Student Found Dead; Tongue, Br*asts Removed
- Call Me Bastard If Buhari Doesn't Change Nigeria If Re-elected, says Okupe's Son