The Chairman, Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption, PACAC, Prof. Itse Sagay, has said looted assets recovered since the inception of President Muhammadu Buhari’s government has risen above one trillion Naira.
Sagay, who stated this at a roundtable organised to mark the 2018 African Anti-corruption Day in Abuja, disclosed that the sum of $321m, $400m and $73m were recovered by the government from Switzerland, USA, and UK respectively.
He also said, so far, billions of Dollars have been traced to the functionaries of the last government and their associates all over the world; stressing that the war against corruption has been successful under the current administration.
According to him, only beneficiaries of corruption and intellectually challenged persons were criticising the progresses made by the government in its fight against corruption.
He said: “Contrary to the narrative been pushed by the aggrieved beneficiaries of corruption, hardly a day passes without the publication of a court order of forfeiture of looted funds, landed properties and other assets.
“Within Nigeria, the value of assets recovered has risen to about one trillion Naira. Money recovered from abroad has followed the same pattern; Switzerland ($321m), the USA (over $400m) and the UK ($73m).
“The era of easy unearned fraudulent money is over. Petrol subsidy scam bleeding us to the tune of N360bn a year has been stopped. The wealthy have been compelled to start paying taxes and enhanced funding has been coming from FIRS and Customs and Excise department.
“From the Treasury Single Account, it is estimated that over N3trn has been mopped up. Funds hidden in unnumbered accounts or lodged under fake names are being unearthed and transferred to the mainstream of our economy.
“In addition to this, the government has now started securing conviction of high profile persons. Three former governors have been convicted for corruption. So, too has a Senior Advocate of Nigeria.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Abdusalami says he hates certain politicians warming up for 2019
- Osun Election: APC Candidate, Gboyega Oyetola Casts His Vote
- Amaechi Reacts: Abe conspiring with Wike to pull me down
- NYSC Replies Minister Adebayo Shittu: "You Have No Excuse"
- ADC Governorship Candidate Cast His Vote In Osun Election
- FRSC Officials Beg As Mob Beats Them For "Causing" Accident
- Osun Election: Cadet Claiming To Be INEC Official Nabbed
- Atiku, Saraki, others divide PDP BoT
- PDP agent arrested for buying votes in Adeleke’s LGA
- Osun Election Photos: PDP's Adeleke Casts His Vote
- Pastor Goes Into Hiding After He Was Shot In Port Harcourt
- "How Big Politician R*ped Me In Hotel' - Nigerian Lady Cries
- Rivers State Overtakes Lagos As Top Investment Destination
- Man Shot In The Head, Dies During Shoot-out In APC Secretariat
- Tambuwal: Buhari now desperate to perpetuate self in power
- Police Arrest Drver For Allegedly Killing Professor
- Lai Mohammed Replies PDP: You're Now Panic Mode
- S*x, Alcohol, Hard Drugs: Revelations On Life In NYSC Camps
- Minimum Wage: FG Makes New Promises Over NLC Ultimatum
- Jimi Agbaje; Time to Free Lagos State is Now
- "Ambode Will Get PDP Form From Me, I'll Sell My House & Buy it"
- Mother of 7 Runs Out N*ked During S*x With Man, Dies Openly... family suspects ritual (photo)
- PDP Raises Alarm: 9 APC Governors In Osun To Rig Election
- White Man Crushed To Death On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway Due To High Speed
- 2019: Tension In APC, Senators To Decamp As Oshiomhole Back Governors for Indirect Primary
- Man In Trouble As Lagos Runs Girl He Slept With Escaped With His Boss N5m SUV
- LAGOS 2019: Ambode, Tinubu Meeting Today For "Last" Chance
- OSUN Election: Candidates Bribing Voters N10k As Voting Opens
- Neighbour St*bs Family Man To Death Over Bathroom
- We Have Placed Top Politicians Under Surveillance To Check Vote-Buying - EFCC
- Don't Panic, Your Money Is Intact - CBN Assures All Ex-Skye Bank Customers
- PDP Should Give Us Vice Presidency Or Lose South East To APC - Ohanaeze Youths
- See What Soldiers Found In A Pond As They Search For Missing General
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Prince Oladimeji charges Kwara United to win 2018 Aiteo Cup
- Maigari concedes defeat to Pinnick in NFF presidential election
- NBS to spend $3.5m on poverty statistics survey
- Delta Air to launch first biometric terminal in the U.S
- FG abolishes payment of Overstay fees by dual citizens
- Polaris Bank takes over distressed Skye Bank assets