The Chairman, Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption, PACAC, Prof. Itse Sagay, has said looted assets recovered since the inception of President Muhammadu Buhari’s government has risen above one trillion Naira.
Sagay, who stated this at a roundtable organised to mark the 2018 African Anti-corruption Day in Abuja, disclosed that the sum of $321m, $400m and $73m were recovered by the government from Switzerland, USA, and UK respectively.
He also said, so far, billions of Dollars have been traced to the functionaries of the last government and their associates all over the world; stressing that the war against corruption has been successful under the current administration.
According to him, only beneficiaries of corruption and intellectually challenged persons were criticising the progresses made by the government in its fight against corruption.
He said: “Contrary to the narrative been pushed by the aggrieved beneficiaries of corruption, hardly a day passes without the publication of a court order of forfeiture of looted funds, landed properties and other assets.
“Within Nigeria, the value of assets recovered has risen to about one trillion Naira. Money recovered from abroad has followed the same pattern; Switzerland ($321m), the USA (over $400m) and the UK ($73m).
“The era of easy unearned fraudulent money is over. Petrol subsidy scam bleeding us to the tune of N360bn a year has been stopped. The wealthy have been compelled to start paying taxes and enhanced funding has been coming from FIRS and Customs and Excise department.
“From the Treasury Single Account, it is estimated that over N3trn has been mopped up. Funds hidden in unnumbered accounts or lodged under fake names are being unearthed and transferred to the mainstream of our economy.
“In addition to this, the government has now started securing conviction of high profile persons. Three former governors have been convicted for corruption. So, too has a Senior Advocate of Nigeria.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- PDP chairman rates Atiku candidacy in opposition party
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Wins Osun PDP Governorship Ticket
- Dino Melaye Cries Out: "They Want To Kill Me"
- PDP Engages Top SAN To Lead Battle Against APC's Fayemi
- Good Man Drowns After Rescuing Pregnant Woman
- Buhari, Oshiomhole Upsetting R-APC Defection Plan?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports
- Woman Sets House On Fire Because She Was Not Invited To A Party
- This New Pocket-sized Drone Takes Selfie To A New Level
- Story of Nigerian Billionaire Who Owns 5 Airports In The UK
- Midnight Fire Razes Hundreds Of Shops In Jos Main Market
- Saraki Rejects Buhari's Plea? Summons Loyalist On Defection
- Nursing Mother and Her Kids Arrested After Her Husband Bought A Stolen Phone
- Gowon stirs Buhari anger as he suspects unwillingness of FG, Nigerian Army, other security agencies to curb killer herdsmen, Miyetti Allah
- Lagos gets FIBA nod as 2019 World Cup qualifiers host
- Enyimba’s July return to Aba shifted
- DIAMOND GOLDEN: Okagbare Manages 8 out of 8 spots
- NFF Dispute: In search of honour for our Otunba and Distinguished Senator
- Ronaldo ‘accepts’ two-year suspended prison sentence
- FF President appoints Obasi,Martins PS ,senior communication officer
- Buhari orders Dalung to resolve NFF crisis or resign
- I didn’t sign any petition against Warri Wolves —Etebo
- Dalung convoy involved in accident in Gombe
- 19-year-old man stabs 18-year-old girlfriend to death in Edo
- APC desperate to keep Saraki, others ahead of 2019
- Outrage Over Police Officer Who Beat Up Woman Carrying Baby
- 2019: Atiku Declares Presidential Bid, Tackles Buhari-led Govt.
- Yoruba coalition against Buhari splits as Afenifere gets rival
- How Access Bank staff stole N1.2bn from customers – Witness
- Son kills mother over N20,000 pocket money in Lagos
- Multiple Accident In Front of Uyo Stadium Caused By Phone Call
- Kidnappers Think Mikel Gives Me Millions, He Doesn't Even Call Me - Father Opens Up
- Nigerians traumatized by your poor service, Fashola tells Discos
- Melaye seeking for cheap attention, says Bello
- Nigerian Army introduces “Happy Hour” to end inter security agencies clashes
- Dino Melaye 'Planned' Burning Of Classrooms He Built - Yahaya Bello
- See What An Angry Man Did To His Brand New Range Rover Over Misunderstanding
- Businesswoman Declares For 2019 Presidency In Abuja (Photos)
- Fans Pressure Celebrities Into Living Fake Lives - Saidi Balogun