A human rights organisation, Know Your Rights Initiative, has demanded the prosecution of a policeman attached to the Isheri Osun Police Division, Lagos, for allegedly killing a graduate, Jude Okoronta.
The group decried the arrest and arraignment of some youths who were accused of damaging the property of a hotel in Ijegun, Ikotun, where the victim was allegedly shot dead by the cop.
The NGO, in a petition to the Directorate of Public Prosecutions and the Lagos State Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, alleged that the residents were arrested while in a meeting with the Area M Commander over the killing.
PUNCH Metro had reported that 28-year-old Okoronta was shot dead in front of Ileviaoje Hotel by the cop, who was guarding the hotel.
Our correspondent had reported that the victim was waiting for a motorcycle to take him home when he was killed by the cop.
The Area M Commander, identified only as ACP Akika, allegedly had a meeting with some aggrieved youths over the killing.
The meeting was on when some policemen reportedly swooped on the residents and arrested them.
Know Your Rights, in its petition, alleged that the youths were taken to the Idimu Police Station, adding that while some of them granted bail, others were arraigned before a chief magistrate’s court on charges of stealing, conspiracy and destruction of property.
The petition read in part, “Sir, Know Your Rights is writing this letter with a heavy heart, sadness of mind, but sincerity of purpose. We wish to express our displeasure over the illegal activities of so called men of the Nigeria Police Force.
“Know Your Rights is calling on your good offices to urgently look into the charge sheet No MM/E/133/2018 where some innocent citizens have been charged to court on trumped-up charges of stealing and vandalising of property valued at N17, 439,000.
“On June 4, the Area Commander charged the six persons namely: Taiwo Abbey, Tochukwu Joseph, Raphael Balogun, Kingsley Abel, Silas Uddo and Ibrahim Jamiu, to court.
“Sir, with due respect and regards to your noble office, Know Your Rights is of the opinion that the criminal matter filed by the Area M Command has no prima facie. We, therefore, humbly urge you to carry out an in-depth investigation into the above matter.
“Sir, Know Your Rights is also appealing to your office to grant a no case submission to the six accused for justice, fairness and equity to prevail on this matter.”
The group, which called for the arrest and prosecution of the killer policeman, also demanded the “immediate removal” of the Divisional Police Officer of Isheri Osun Police Division and the Area M Commander.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Abdusalami says he hates certain politicians warming up for 2019
- Osun Election: APC Candidate, Gboyega Oyetola Casts His Vote
- Amaechi Reacts: Abe conspiring with Wike to pull me down
- NYSC Replies Minister Adebayo Shittu: "You Have No Excuse"
- ADC Governorship Candidate Cast His Vote In Osun Election
- FRSC Officials Beg As Mob Beats Them For "Causing" Accident
- Osun Election: Cadet Claiming To Be INEC Official Nabbed
- Atiku, Saraki, others divide PDP BoT
- PDP agent arrested for buying votes in Adeleke’s LGA
- Osun Election Photos: PDP's Adeleke Casts His Vote
- Pastor Goes Into Hiding After He Was Shot In Port Harcourt
- "How Big Politician R*ped Me In Hotel' - Nigerian Lady Cries
- Rivers State Overtakes Lagos As Top Investment Destination
- Man Shot In The Head, Dies During Shoot-out In APC Secretariat
- Tambuwal: Buhari now desperate to perpetuate self in power
- Police Arrest Drver For Allegedly Killing Professor
- Lai Mohammed Replies PDP: You're Now Panic Mode
- S*x, Alcohol, Hard Drugs: Revelations On Life In NYSC Camps
- Minimum Wage: FG Makes New Promises Over NLC Ultimatum
- Jimi Agbaje; Time to Free Lagos State is Now
- "Ambode Will Get PDP Form From Me, I'll Sell My House & Buy it"
- Mother of 7 Runs Out N*ked During S*x With Man, Dies Openly... family suspects ritual (photo)
- PDP Raises Alarm: 9 APC Governors In Osun To Rig Election
- White Man Crushed To Death On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway Due To High Speed
- 2019: Tension In APC, Senators To Decamp As Oshiomhole Back Governors for Indirect Primary
- Man In Trouble As Lagos Runs Girl He Slept With Escaped With His Boss N5m SUV
- LAGOS 2019: Ambode, Tinubu Meeting Today For "Last" Chance
- OSUN Election: Candidates Bribing Voters N10k As Voting Opens
- Neighbour St*bs Family Man To Death Over Bathroom
- We Have Placed Top Politicians Under Surveillance To Check Vote-Buying - EFCC
- Don't Panic, Your Money Is Intact - CBN Assures All Ex-Skye Bank Customers
- PDP Should Give Us Vice Presidency Or Lose South East To APC - Ohanaeze Youths
- See What Soldiers Found In A Pond As They Search For Missing General
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Prince Oladimeji charges Kwara United to win 2018 Aiteo Cup
- Maigari concedes defeat to Pinnick in NFF presidential election
- NBS to spend $3.5m on poverty statistics survey
- Delta Air to launch first biometric terminal in the U.S
- FG abolishes payment of Overstay fees by dual citizens
- Polaris Bank takes over distressed Skye Bank assets