A human rights organisation, Know Your Rights Initiative, has demanded the prosecution of a policeman attached to the Isheri Osun Police Division, Lagos, for allegedly killing a graduate, Jude Okoronta.
The group decried the arrest and arraignment of some youths who were accused of damaging the property of a hotel in Ijegun, Ikotun, where the victim was allegedly shot dead by the cop.
The NGO, in a petition to the Directorate of Public Prosecutions and the Lagos State Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, alleged that the residents were arrested while in a meeting with the Area M Commander over the killing.
PUNCH Metro had reported that 28-year-old Okoronta was shot dead in front of Ileviaoje Hotel by the cop, who was guarding the hotel.
Our correspondent had reported that the victim was waiting for a motorcycle to take him home when he was killed by the cop.
The Area M Commander, identified only as ACP Akika, allegedly had a meeting with some aggrieved youths over the killing.
The meeting was on when some policemen reportedly swooped on the residents and arrested them.
Know Your Rights, in its petition, alleged that the youths were taken to the Idimu Police Station, adding that while some of them granted bail, others were arraigned before a chief magistrate’s court on charges of stealing, conspiracy and destruction of property.
The petition read in part, “Sir, Know Your Rights is writing this letter with a heavy heart, sadness of mind, but sincerity of purpose. We wish to express our displeasure over the illegal activities of so called men of the Nigeria Police Force.
“Know Your Rights is calling on your good offices to urgently look into the charge sheet No MM/E/133/2018 where some innocent citizens have been charged to court on trumped-up charges of stealing and vandalising of property valued at N17, 439,000.
“On June 4, the Area Commander charged the six persons namely: Taiwo Abbey, Tochukwu Joseph, Raphael Balogun, Kingsley Abel, Silas Uddo and Ibrahim Jamiu, to court.
“Sir, with due respect and regards to your noble office, Know Your Rights is of the opinion that the criminal matter filed by the Area M Command has no prima facie. We, therefore, humbly urge you to carry out an in-depth investigation into the above matter.
“Sir, Know Your Rights is also appealing to your office to grant a no case submission to the six accused for justice, fairness and equity to prevail on this matter.”
The group, which called for the arrest and prosecution of the killer policeman, also demanded the “immediate removal” of the Divisional Police Officer of Isheri Osun Police Division and the Area M Commander.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- PDP chairman rates Atiku candidacy in opposition party
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Wins Osun PDP Governorship Ticket
- Dino Melaye Cries Out: "They Want To Kill Me"
- PDP Engages Top SAN To Lead Battle Against APC's Fayemi
- Good Man Drowns After Rescuing Pregnant Woman
- Buhari, Oshiomhole Upsetting R-APC Defection Plan?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports
- Woman Sets House On Fire Because She Was Not Invited To A Party
- This New Pocket-sized Drone Takes Selfie To A New Level
- Story of Nigerian Billionaire Who Owns 5 Airports In The UK
- Midnight Fire Razes Hundreds Of Shops In Jos Main Market
- Saraki Rejects Buhari's Plea? Summons Loyalist On Defection
- Nursing Mother and Her Kids Arrested After Her Husband Bought A Stolen Phone
- Gowon stirs Buhari anger as he suspects unwillingness of FG, Nigerian Army, other security agencies to curb killer herdsmen, Miyetti Allah
- Lagos gets FIBA nod as 2019 World Cup qualifiers host
- Enyimba’s July return to Aba shifted
- DIAMOND GOLDEN: Okagbare Manages 8 out of 8 spots
- NFF Dispute: In search of honour for our Otunba and Distinguished Senator
- Ronaldo ‘accepts’ two-year suspended prison sentence
- FF President appoints Obasi,Martins PS ,senior communication officer
- Buhari orders Dalung to resolve NFF crisis or resign
- I didn’t sign any petition against Warri Wolves —Etebo
- Dalung convoy involved in accident in Gombe
- 19-year-old man stabs 18-year-old girlfriend to death in Edo
- APC desperate to keep Saraki, others ahead of 2019
- Outrage Over Police Officer Who Beat Up Woman Carrying Baby
- 2019: Atiku Declares Presidential Bid, Tackles Buhari-led Govt.
- Yoruba coalition against Buhari splits as Afenifere gets rival
- How Access Bank staff stole N1.2bn from customers – Witness
- Son kills mother over N20,000 pocket money in Lagos
- Multiple Accident In Front of Uyo Stadium Caused By Phone Call
- Kidnappers Think Mikel Gives Me Millions, He Doesn't Even Call Me - Father Opens Up
- Nigerians traumatized by your poor service, Fashola tells Discos
- Melaye seeking for cheap attention, says Bello
- Nigerian Army introduces “Happy Hour” to end inter security agencies clashes
- Dino Melaye 'Planned' Burning Of Classrooms He Built - Yahaya Bello
- See What An Angry Man Did To His Brand New Range Rover Over Misunderstanding
- Businesswoman Declares For 2019 Presidency In Abuja (Photos)
- Fans Pressure Celebrities Into Living Fake Lives - Saidi Balogun