A human rights organisation, Know Your Rights Initiative, has demanded the prosecution of a policeman attached to the Isheri Osun Police Division, Lagos, for allegedly killing a graduate, Jude Okoronta.
The group decried the arrest and arraignment of some youths who were accused of damaging the property of a hotel in Ijegun, Ikotun, where the victim was allegedly shot dead by the cop.
The NGO, in a petition to the Directorate of Public Prosecutions and the Lagos State Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, alleged that the residents were arrested while in a meeting with the Area M Commander over the killing.
PUNCH Metro had reported that 28-year-old Okoronta was shot dead in front of Ileviaoje Hotel by the cop, who was guarding the hotel.
Our correspondent had reported that the victim was waiting for a motorcycle to take him home when he was killed by the cop.
The Area M Commander, identified only as ACP Akika, allegedly had a meeting with some aggrieved youths over the killing.
The meeting was on when some policemen reportedly swooped on the residents and arrested them.
Know Your Rights, in its petition, alleged that the youths were taken to the Idimu Police Station, adding that while some of them granted bail, others were arraigned before a chief magistrate’s court on charges of stealing, conspiracy and destruction of property.
The petition read in part, “Sir, Know Your Rights is writing this letter with a heavy heart, sadness of mind, but sincerity of purpose. We wish to express our displeasure over the illegal activities of so called men of the Nigeria Police Force.
“Know Your Rights is calling on your good offices to urgently look into the charge sheet No MM/E/133/2018 where some innocent citizens have been charged to court on trumped-up charges of stealing and vandalising of property valued at N17, 439,000.
“On June 4, the Area Commander charged the six persons namely: Taiwo Abbey, Tochukwu Joseph, Raphael Balogun, Kingsley Abel, Silas Uddo and Ibrahim Jamiu, to court.
“Sir, with due respect and regards to your noble office, Know Your Rights is of the opinion that the criminal matter filed by the Area M Command has no prima facie. We, therefore, humbly urge you to carry out an in-depth investigation into the above matter.
“Sir, Know Your Rights is also appealing to your office to grant a no case submission to the six accused for justice, fairness and equity to prevail on this matter.”
The group, which called for the arrest and prosecution of the killer policeman, also demanded the “immediate removal” of the Divisional Police Officer of Isheri Osun Police Division and the Area M Commander.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Remove the Immunity Clause from our constitution – Ude
- Expert task Nigerian students on self reliance
- 2019: Oshiomhole hints at what Kwara people will do to Saraki
- Dalung hails Super Eagles ‘s 2019 AFCON qualification
- Lack of friendlies make us loss to SA—Super Falcons Coach
- Eagles, Cranes set Asaba aglow in glamour friendly
- Ghana 2018: Dennerby confident Falcons will bounce back
- Pinnick dedicates AFA Award to NFF Exco, Sponsors
- This common leaf cures infertility, prostate cancer
- Atiku promises to boost oil sector investment, stop fuel subsidies
- Airtel unveil mobile security for subscribers
- NYSC denies increase in corps monthly allowance
- Subscriber slams N250m suit on MTN
- CBN still ruthlessly efficient at reining in money in circulation
- Nigeria spends N488bn to subsidise fuel consumption in 8 months
- Tinubu absent as Buhari, APC launch 2019 campaign
- Saraki’s N400m 30-state funding of APC in 2015: SERAP demands INEC to probe campaign spending
- Minimum wage: Buhari meets with governors
- Dubai Building A Rotating Skyscraper... Here Are Details
- Lady Battered, Escapes From Man Who Tried To R*pe Her
- NLC, NANS rally for ASUU in Abuja
- Court remands randy Professor in prison
- Confusion trails Teleology’s takeover of 9mobile
- APC Legal Adviser battles Oshiomhole
- 2 houses burnt, 3 killed as birthday turns bloody
- Monkey kills 12-day-old baby after snatching him from mum
- 5 APC members dies in kwara ghastly motor accident
- Obasanjo sues journalist who accused him of killing Bola Ige
- DSTV: Subscribers demand pay-as-you-view billing system
- See Covenant University VC's Beautiful Wife & Kids (Photos)
- 2019: What Will Happen In Nigeria If Atiku Defeats Buhari
- Buhari Campaign Faults Atiku
- See What Woman Did To This Man In Delta (Graphic Photo)
- Atiku Reacts As Service Chiefs Attend Buhari's APC Political Campaign Launch
- Dejan Lovren: we shut Spain up
- Ronaldo and Georgina in church in Turin: wedding preparations?
- Juventus wants Asensio
- Bride & Groom Killed In Road Crash On Way To Their Wedding
- Missing Delta Student Found Dead; Tongue, Br*asts Removed
- Call Me Bastard If Buhari Doesn't Change Nigeria If Re-elected, says Okupe's Son