Etim Ekpimah, Uyo
The Akwa Ibom State High Court, sitting in Eket, has sentenced one Okon Ebenge to death by hanging for killing his neighbour, Eteyen Ekong, over N80,000.
The presiding judge, Justice Nsemeke Daniel, on Wednesday passed the death sentence on Ebenge from Akpautong in the Esit Eket Local Government Area for conspiring with his son, Akaninyene, to kill his 37-year-old neighbour when he demanded the refund of N80,000.
Ekong, a native of Ntak Inyang in Esit Eket, was said to have given the convict N80,000 in 2013 to construct a container shade for his business.
It was learnt that the convict did not construct the container and refused to refund the money to Ebenge, prompting the deceased to go to Ebengevs house for his money on January 10, 2016, where he was beaten to death by the convict and his son, who escaped.
A medical report was said to have been admitted as exhibit before the court.
The report was said to have shown that father and son used machete and a pinch bar to hit the deceased, which caused fractured skull, leading to damage to his brain tissue.
A neighbor of the deceased, Abednego Owo, who was the third prosecution witness, told the court that he tried to rescue the victim, but was prevented by the convict and his son who threatened to kill anyone who entered their house.
In his judgement, Justice Daniel said, “The law is trite that when any person aids the commission of an offence by being at the scene not as an onlooker but with the purpose of assisting any other person in committing the offence; he is equally guilty of the offence as a principal.”
He ruled that the death of the deceased was accelerated by the convict who prevented sympathisers from taking the deceased to a hospital while he was still breathing even though unconscious.
“In my view, the specific act of using a machete to chase away people from entering his compound to rescue the victim was a manifestation of his intention to ensure that the man was dead,” Daniel said.
He sentenced Ebenge to death for murder on count one, while on count two, he was sentenced to 14 years’ imprisonment.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Remove the Immunity Clause from our constitution – Ude
- Expert task Nigerian students on self reliance
- 2019: Oshiomhole hints at what Kwara people will do to Saraki
- Dalung hails Super Eagles ‘s 2019 AFCON qualification
- Lack of friendlies make us loss to SA—Super Falcons Coach
- Eagles, Cranes set Asaba aglow in glamour friendly
- Ghana 2018: Dennerby confident Falcons will bounce back
- Pinnick dedicates AFA Award to NFF Exco, Sponsors
- This common leaf cures infertility, prostate cancer
- Atiku promises to boost oil sector investment, stop fuel subsidies
- Airtel unveil mobile security for subscribers
- NYSC denies increase in corps monthly allowance
- Subscriber slams N250m suit on MTN
- CBN still ruthlessly efficient at reining in money in circulation
- Nigeria spends N488bn to subsidise fuel consumption in 8 months
- Tinubu absent as Buhari, APC launch 2019 campaign
- Saraki’s N400m 30-state funding of APC in 2015: SERAP demands INEC to probe campaign spending
- Minimum wage: Buhari meets with governors
- Dubai Building A Rotating Skyscraper... Here Are Details
- Lady Battered, Escapes From Man Who Tried To R*pe Her
- NLC, NANS rally for ASUU in Abuja
- Court remands randy Professor in prison
- Confusion trails Teleology’s takeover of 9mobile
- APC Legal Adviser battles Oshiomhole
- 2 houses burnt, 3 killed as birthday turns bloody
- Monkey kills 12-day-old baby after snatching him from mum
- 5 APC members dies in kwara ghastly motor accident
- Obasanjo sues journalist who accused him of killing Bola Ige
- DSTV: Subscribers demand pay-as-you-view billing system
- See Covenant University VC's Beautiful Wife & Kids (Photos)
- 2019: What Will Happen In Nigeria If Atiku Defeats Buhari
- Buhari Campaign Faults Atiku
- See What Woman Did To This Man In Delta (Graphic Photo)
- Atiku Reacts As Service Chiefs Attend Buhari's APC Political Campaign Launch
- Dejan Lovren: we shut Spain up
- Ronaldo and Georgina in church in Turin: wedding preparations?
- Juventus wants Asensio
- Bride & Groom Killed In Road Crash On Way To Their Wedding
- Missing Delta Student Found Dead; Tongue, Br*asts Removed
- Call Me Bastard If Buhari Doesn't Change Nigeria If Re-elected, says Okupe's Son