Chukwudi Akasike and Sampson Itode
Some residents of Rumuosi community have fled their homes after two policemen and one suspected armed robber were killed during a shootout on Ozuoba-Rumuosi Road in the Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State.
Some robbery gang members were said to have opened fire on a police patrol van on the road around 10.30pm on Tuesday, forcing the policemen to respond.
It was gathered that in the ensuing shootout, two policemen died, while one of the robbers was also fatally wounded.
Some residents said while the hoodlums opened fire on sighting the patrol van, a policeman jumped out of the van and hid in a “strategic point.”
They added that it was the policeman that shot and killed one of the hoodlums.
Sources in the community told one of our correspondents that the policemen were on a stop-and-search duty in the area when the incident happened.
It was gathered that some youths were killed by some unidentified assailants three months ago, a development that led to an increase in the level of police patrol in Rumuosi community.
Most shops in the area were closed on Wednesday, as those living close to the scene of the gun battle had fled the area.
An eyewitness, who identified herself simply as Mary, said, “The gunmen ambushed the policemen, killing two of them. Another policeman fought back and killed one of the gunmen. The other robbers escaped
“The policemen were near the Rumuosi market, checking vehicle particulars as usual in the evening before the boys arrived and started shooting. We all ran for our dear lives; it was later that we heard that they killed two policemen.
Another resident in the area, Emeka, said the shooting started around 10.42pm, which forced everyone to scamper for safety.
He said, “Around 10.42pm, when we started hearing the sound of heavy gunshots, we all ran for our lives. If you look around, you will see that some people abandoned their shoes and slippers.”
The state Police Public Relations Officer, Mr Nnamdi Omoni, confirmed the incident, adding that the state police command was on the trail of those involved.
Omoni said, “Armed robbers attacked policemen that were on routine patrol in Rumuosi, in the Obio/Akpor LGA. They (armed robbers) ambushed them (policemen).
“But our men were able to return fire, which also killed one of the armed robbers. It happened in the evening. We are on their trail and we are combing the area and getting information to ensure that the suspects are arrested.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Remove the Immunity Clause from our constitution – Ude
- Expert task Nigerian students on self reliance
- 2019: Oshiomhole hints at what Kwara people will do to Saraki
- Dalung hails Super Eagles ‘s 2019 AFCON qualification
- Lack of friendlies make us loss to SA—Super Falcons Coach
- Eagles, Cranes set Asaba aglow in glamour friendly
- Ghana 2018: Dennerby confident Falcons will bounce back
- Pinnick dedicates AFA Award to NFF Exco, Sponsors
- This common leaf cures infertility, prostate cancer
- Atiku promises to boost oil sector investment, stop fuel subsidies
- Airtel unveil mobile security for subscribers
- NYSC denies increase in corps monthly allowance
- Subscriber slams N250m suit on MTN
- CBN still ruthlessly efficient at reining in money in circulation
- Nigeria spends N488bn to subsidise fuel consumption in 8 months
- Tinubu absent as Buhari, APC launch 2019 campaign
- Saraki’s N400m 30-state funding of APC in 2015: SERAP demands INEC to probe campaign spending
- Minimum wage: Buhari meets with governors
- Dubai Building A Rotating Skyscraper... Here Are Details
- Lady Battered, Escapes From Man Who Tried To R*pe Her
- NLC, NANS rally for ASUU in Abuja
- Court remands randy Professor in prison
- Confusion trails Teleology’s takeover of 9mobile
- APC Legal Adviser battles Oshiomhole
- 2 houses burnt, 3 killed as birthday turns bloody
- Monkey kills 12-day-old baby after snatching him from mum
- 5 APC members dies in kwara ghastly motor accident
- Obasanjo sues journalist who accused him of killing Bola Ige
- DSTV: Subscribers demand pay-as-you-view billing system
- See Covenant University VC's Beautiful Wife & Kids (Photos)
- 2019: What Will Happen In Nigeria If Atiku Defeats Buhari
- Buhari Campaign Faults Atiku
- See What Woman Did To This Man In Delta (Graphic Photo)
- Atiku Reacts As Service Chiefs Attend Buhari's APC Political Campaign Launch
- Dejan Lovren: we shut Spain up
- Ronaldo and Georgina in church in Turin: wedding preparations?
- Juventus wants Asensio
- Bride & Groom Killed In Road Crash On Way To Their Wedding
- Missing Delta Student Found Dead; Tongue, Br*asts Removed
- Call Me Bastard If Buhari Doesn't Change Nigeria If Re-elected, says Okupe's Son