Chukwudi Akasike and Sampson Itode
Some residents of Rumuosi community have fled their homes after two policemen and one suspected armed robber were killed during a shootout on Ozuoba-Rumuosi Road in the Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State.
Some robbery gang members were said to have opened fire on a police patrol van on the road around 10.30pm on Tuesday, forcing the policemen to respond.
It was gathered that in the ensuing shootout, two policemen died, while one of the robbers was also fatally wounded.
Some residents said while the hoodlums opened fire on sighting the patrol van, a policeman jumped out of the van and hid in a “strategic point.”
They added that it was the policeman that shot and killed one of the hoodlums.
Sources in the community told one of our correspondents that the policemen were on a stop-and-search duty in the area when the incident happened.
It was gathered that some youths were killed by some unidentified assailants three months ago, a development that led to an increase in the level of police patrol in Rumuosi community.
Most shops in the area were closed on Wednesday, as those living close to the scene of the gun battle had fled the area.
An eyewitness, who identified herself simply as Mary, said, “The gunmen ambushed the policemen, killing two of them. Another policeman fought back and killed one of the gunmen. The other robbers escaped
“The policemen were near the Rumuosi market, checking vehicle particulars as usual in the evening before the boys arrived and started shooting. We all ran for our dear lives; it was later that we heard that they killed two policemen.
Another resident in the area, Emeka, said the shooting started around 10.42pm, which forced everyone to scamper for safety.
He said, “Around 10.42pm, when we started hearing the sound of heavy gunshots, we all ran for our lives. If you look around, you will see that some people abandoned their shoes and slippers.”
The state Police Public Relations Officer, Mr Nnamdi Omoni, confirmed the incident, adding that the state police command was on the trail of those involved.
Omoni said, “Armed robbers attacked policemen that were on routine patrol in Rumuosi, in the Obio/Akpor LGA. They (armed robbers) ambushed them (policemen).
“But our men were able to return fire, which also killed one of the armed robbers. It happened in the evening. We are on their trail and we are combing the area and getting information to ensure that the suspects are arrested.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- PDP chairman rates Atiku candidacy in opposition party
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Wins Osun PDP Governorship Ticket
- Dino Melaye Cries Out: "They Want To Kill Me"
- PDP Engages Top SAN To Lead Battle Against APC's Fayemi
- Good Man Drowns After Rescuing Pregnant Woman
- Buhari, Oshiomhole Upsetting R-APC Defection Plan?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports
- Woman Sets House On Fire Because She Was Not Invited To A Party
- This New Pocket-sized Drone Takes Selfie To A New Level
- Story of Nigerian Billionaire Who Owns 5 Airports In The UK
- Midnight Fire Razes Hundreds Of Shops In Jos Main Market
- Saraki Rejects Buhari's Plea? Summons Loyalist On Defection
- Nursing Mother and Her Kids Arrested After Her Husband Bought A Stolen Phone
- Gowon stirs Buhari anger as he suspects unwillingness of FG, Nigerian Army, other security agencies to curb killer herdsmen, Miyetti Allah
- Lagos gets FIBA nod as 2019 World Cup qualifiers host
- Enyimba’s July return to Aba shifted
- DIAMOND GOLDEN: Okagbare Manages 8 out of 8 spots
- NFF Dispute: In search of honour for our Otunba and Distinguished Senator
- Ronaldo ‘accepts’ two-year suspended prison sentence
- FF President appoints Obasi,Martins PS ,senior communication officer
- Buhari orders Dalung to resolve NFF crisis or resign
- I didn’t sign any petition against Warri Wolves —Etebo
- Dalung convoy involved in accident in Gombe
- 19-year-old man stabs 18-year-old girlfriend to death in Edo
- APC desperate to keep Saraki, others ahead of 2019
- Outrage Over Police Officer Who Beat Up Woman Carrying Baby
- 2019: Atiku Declares Presidential Bid, Tackles Buhari-led Govt.
- Yoruba coalition against Buhari splits as Afenifere gets rival
- How Access Bank staff stole N1.2bn from customers – Witness
- Son kills mother over N20,000 pocket money in Lagos
- Multiple Accident In Front of Uyo Stadium Caused By Phone Call
- Kidnappers Think Mikel Gives Me Millions, He Doesn't Even Call Me - Father Opens Up
- Nigerians traumatized by your poor service, Fashola tells Discos
- Melaye seeking for cheap attention, says Bello
- Nigerian Army introduces “Happy Hour” to end inter security agencies clashes
- Dino Melaye 'Planned' Burning Of Classrooms He Built - Yahaya Bello
- See What An Angry Man Did To His Brand New Range Rover Over Misunderstanding
- Businesswoman Declares For 2019 Presidency In Abuja (Photos)
- Fans Pressure Celebrities Into Living Fake Lives - Saidi Balogun