By Levinus Nwabughiogu
ABUJA—Plenary of the House of Representatives was, yesterday, at different times thrown into commotion as members of Reformed All Progressives Congress, R-APC, sought to show identity to the loud disapproval of their colleagues in the mainstream All Progressives Congress, APC.
The repeated altercation, which interferred with the proceedings of the House, came as Coalition of United Political Parties, CUPP, strongly rebuffed claims of disunity in its ranks, saying those claiming to have pulled out were never part of the alliance.
Also, yesterday, members of defunct Congress for Progressives Change, CPC, from the South, under the aegis of Southern Mandate, yesterday, identified themselves with the R-APC.
The CPC was one of the parties which collapsed into the APC in 2013.
Meanwhile, Vanguard has learned of increasing agitation of some APC members aligned to the R-APC as they plan to exit the party on which platform they were elected to the House.
Already, many of the members have folded the APC flag in their respective offices.
“Wait and see what will happen in the weeks ahead, just before the primary elections of political parties begin,” a source privy to the developments told Vanguard.
Trouble started in the House of Representatives, yesterday, when Speaker Yakubu Dogara yielded the floor to Bode Ayorinde (Ondo State) to make his contribution to an ongoing debate on a motion by Ossy Prestige from Abia State to prevail on the Federal Government to conduct census by next year.
Introducing himself, Ayorinde stressed that he was a member of the R-APC. His introduction was swiftly challenged by Johnson, who incidentally was himself not too long ago a member of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, before crossing over to APC. He insisted that APC was not factionalised.
The issue prompted spontaneous reactions from PDP members who cheered and booed in response.
In a bid to save the situation, Speaker Dogara told Ayorinde: “We are called Honourable members here.”
After Ayorinde was allowed to speak, the issue resurrected almost immediately when the Speaker, again, called on Rep Tope Olayanu from Kwara State to second a motion.
Olayanu said: “Mr. Speaker, I am a bonafide member of R-APC.”
Again, agitated mainstream members of the APC decried him, forcing Speaker Dogara to again intervene, saying: “Olayanu, I called you to second the motion, not to announce the party you are in.”
For about 60 seconds, the House became noisy with loud cheers and boos by members after which the House proceeded with the plenary.
Atiku meet PDP House caucus
Meanwhile, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar was last night set to meet with the PDP House caucus. The meeting was yet to commence at press time.
A source told Vanguard that the meeting was not unconnected with the looming defection and resolve to sell his presidential ambition to the lawmakers.
CUPP dismisses reports of discord
Member of the Steering Committee of the CUPP and National Chairman of the Progressive People’s Alliance PPA, Chief Peter Ameh, described political parties, which have spoken against the coalition as spineless bootlickers incapable of standing for anything good.
He said: “List the names of the parties that have denounced the agreement; just nine political parties calling themselves 22? They were never part of the agreement from inception and were never invited to any of the meetings where discussions and deliberations were held.
Defunct CPC members hail CUPP
On their part, members of the defunct Congress for Progressive Change, CPC, from the 17 Southern states, under the auspices of Southern Mandate Nigeria, have asked Nigerians to appreciate the leadership of the R-APC for their ability to increase their stake in the Nigerian project.
National Coordinator of the Mandate, Comrade Ikonomwan Francis, told Vanguard that “it was becoming very obvious that All Progressives Congress-led Federal Government had made Nigerians frustrated and hopeless in a manner that they can no longer speak for themselves, while nobody was dogged enough to speak for them.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- PDP chairman rates Atiku candidacy in opposition party
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Wins Osun PDP Governorship Ticket
- Dino Melaye Cries Out: "They Want To Kill Me"
- PDP Engages Top SAN To Lead Battle Against APC's Fayemi
- Good Man Drowns After Rescuing Pregnant Woman
- Buhari, Oshiomhole Upsetting R-APC Defection Plan?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports
- Woman Sets House On Fire Because She Was Not Invited To A Party
- This New Pocket-sized Drone Takes Selfie To A New Level
- Story of Nigerian Billionaire Who Owns 5 Airports In The UK
- Midnight Fire Razes Hundreds Of Shops In Jos Main Market
- Saraki Rejects Buhari's Plea? Summons Loyalist On Defection
- Nursing Mother and Her Kids Arrested After Her Husband Bought A Stolen Phone
- Gowon stirs Buhari anger as he suspects unwillingness of FG, Nigerian Army, other security agencies to curb killer herdsmen, Miyetti Allah
- Lagos gets FIBA nod as 2019 World Cup qualifiers host
- Enyimba’s July return to Aba shifted
- DIAMOND GOLDEN: Okagbare Manages 8 out of 8 spots
- NFF Dispute: In search of honour for our Otunba and Distinguished Senator
- Ronaldo ‘accepts’ two-year suspended prison sentence
- FF President appoints Obasi,Martins PS ,senior communication officer
- Buhari orders Dalung to resolve NFF crisis or resign
- I didn’t sign any petition against Warri Wolves —Etebo
- Dalung convoy involved in accident in Gombe
- 19-year-old man stabs 18-year-old girlfriend to death in Edo
- APC desperate to keep Saraki, others ahead of 2019
- Outrage Over Police Officer Who Beat Up Woman Carrying Baby
- 2019: Atiku Declares Presidential Bid, Tackles Buhari-led Govt.
- Yoruba coalition against Buhari splits as Afenifere gets rival
- How Access Bank staff stole N1.2bn from customers – Witness
- Son kills mother over N20,000 pocket money in Lagos
- Multiple Accident In Front of Uyo Stadium Caused By Phone Call
- Kidnappers Think Mikel Gives Me Millions, He Doesn't Even Call Me - Father Opens Up
- Nigerians traumatized by your poor service, Fashola tells Discos
- Melaye seeking for cheap attention, says Bello
- Nigerian Army introduces “Happy Hour” to end inter security agencies clashes
- Dino Melaye 'Planned' Burning Of Classrooms He Built - Yahaya Bello
- See What An Angry Man Did To His Brand New Range Rover Over Misunderstanding
- Businesswoman Declares For 2019 Presidency In Abuja (Photos)
- Fans Pressure Celebrities Into Living Fake Lives - Saidi Balogun