Assembly adopts report on Madumere’s impeachment
I haven’t been served impeachment notice—Madumere
By Chinonso Alozie
OWERRI—TENSION, yesterday, soared over the impeachment process against Imo State Deputy Governor, Eze Madumere, as a committee set up by the State House of Assembly to investigate the allegations levelled against him summitted its report and was adopted by the House.
This was as protesters blocked the Imo House of Assembly complex, condemning the planned impeachment of the deputy governor.
In the same vein, police deployed to the assembly, also barred scores of journalists from covering the sitting.
Speaking toVanguard, Marcel Ekwezuo, the Chief Press Secretary to the Speaker of Imo State House of Assembly, Mr Acho Ihim confirmed this development.
Ekwezuo said: “The committee set up to investigate the allegations against the Deputy Governor, Eze Madumere, has submitted its report and it was adopted by the House as a working document.”
Scores of protesters led by Mrs. Caroline Amadi from Madumere’s council area, Mbaitoli Local Government Area also blocked the gate to the assembly saying: “We are not happy about what is happening in Imo State. ‘The deputy governor’s impeachment is political. ‘They have decided to come up with phony allegations to give Madumere a bad name. Imo people are watching and we know the truth.
“We can’t allow this injustice to continue in this state and we are here to say no to this ugly trend in our dear state. The House of Assembly must not allow itself to be used.”
However, during a visit to the State Assembly complex located at New Owerri, Vanguard observed that the adjoining streets to the assembly complex were blocked by the police.
From Concord Hotel, there were about four police vehicles stationed on the road, preventing entry into the assembly while the road from the state secretariat was also barricaded among others with scores of armed policemen stationed strategically in and around the assembly complex.
A mild drama started when some journalists wanted to access the House of Assembly but they were stopped by some top ranking police officers positioned at the entrance of the assembly.
The Police officers told the journalists that, “the order is from above. We are not allowing you to go in.”
I haven’t been served impeachment notice—Madumere
Reacting to moves by the lawmakers to impeach him yesterday, the Imo Deputy Governor, Eze Madumere said he had not been served impeachment notice by the state government.
In a statement yesterday by Uche Onwuchekwa, Special Assistant to the Deputy Governor on Media, he said: “This is to inform the people of Imo State and indeed the general public, that on Tuesday 10th Day of July 2018, by 1:30pm at the office of the Deputy Governor, Government House Owerri, a purported notice of gross misconduct signed by some members of the Imo State House of Assembly was served on Nze Obinna Aharanwa, Principal Secretary to the Deputy Governor of Imo State.
“It must be emphasised that the purported notice of gross misconduct signed by some members of Imo State House of Assembly was not served on the Deputy Governor of Imo State, Prince Eze Madumere personally, as mandatorily stipulated by the 1999 Constitution (as amended). And till date, no such notice has been served on Prince Eze Madumere.
“When and if any such notice is served on the Deputy Governor of Imo State, Prince Eze Madumere personally, as required by law, he shall as a law abiding and responsible citizen of the state react to same personally.
“The earlier press statement issued by me yesterday was done on my own accord and without reference to the Deputy Governor who had not been served personally and who is currently out of the state.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- APC guber candidate in certificate scandal
- Account for money spent on military operations, SERAP tells Buratai
- My rift with Tinubu is on democratic values, says Agbaje
- Boko Haram raids another community in Borno
- Atiku blasts Buhari over absence at burial of 19 soldiers in Borno
- Christmas, New Year, political Campaigns: IGP Orders CPs, AIGs to beef-up of security
- FRSC will not tolerate unethical behavior of officers – Dr. Oyeyemi
- Supersand Eagles hold firm to World Cup ticket as Senegal rule Africa
- Edo pushes for 2nd position as Tech Director, others laud team performance —Kehinde Osagiede
- Swimmer Osayi on Federation Radar as Edo Govt promises nurturing of athlete
- EPL: Mourinho told to sell four Man United players in January
- Marcelo: Madrid Miss ‘Best in the World’ CR7
- NSF: Igali thrilled with impressive outings by states
- Groups battle Buratai on Army’s spending
- NASS staff strike may affect 2019 budget
- NAFDAC highlights plan to regulate traditional herbs
- SDP presidential candidate legal crisis escalates as court sacks Duke
- Few Tips To Moving Forward With Your Passion & Purpose
- APC Candidate In Ogun, Dapo Abiodun, In Certificate Scandal
- Why Obasanjo Turned Against Buhari After Helping Him Emerge President - Oyinlola Reveals
- Atiku To Work On Jonathan's Confab Report If Elected In 2019
- Throw Back Photo Of Osinbajo, FRSC Boss Fowler & Ade
- Pastor Kidnapped In His Church Premises Regains Freedom
- Fayose, Gov Fayemi In War Of Words Over Attack On ex-Gov.
- Charlyboy Weds Wife In Church After 40 Years, Drive In Keke
- APC To Its NASS Members: Don't Allow Electoral Bill Override
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Beautiful Pics Of Nigeria Police Couple Getting Married Today
- Road Safety State Commander Dies In Road Accident (Photos)
- OAP Toolz & Husband Tunde Demuren Welcome Baby Boy
- Tinubu Hits Saraki? Says Robbers Deny Nigeria Vibrant Senate Presidency
- Five Die In Terrible Accidents In Lagos (Photos)
- Drunk FRSC Official Bashes Man's Car In Lagos (Photos)
- National Assembly Staff Begin Strike Monday, Threaten Buhari's Budget Presentation
- Man Kidnaps Ex-Boss For Accusing Him Of Stealing, Demands N1m Ransom
- 6-Week-Old Baby Miraculously Survives Ebola
- Yahoo Boy, Banker Arrested For Defrauding Woman
- The President and His Wife
- Boko Haram: Between Buhari’s Amnesty And The Lives of Our Soldiers
- Adorable Photos Of Buhari & Wife, Aisha Melt Hearts