The Director-General of NBC, Malam Ishaq Modibbo Kawu, made this known at a news conference on Ekiti Governorship Election, in Abuja.
Kawu said that broadcasters had an obligation to ensure that they did not disrupt the good order of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the nation’s democracy.
According to him, Ekiti State Broadcasting Service has been unprofessional in its activities, particularly in the past two weeks and NBC cannot but take action.
The D-G said the station had not been been meeting ethical standard of broadcasting in airing political activities in the state.
He said that the appointment of the Acting Director-General of Ekiti Broadcasting Service, Mr Lere Olayinka, as the Spokesperson of Kolapo Olusola Campaign Organisation (KOCO), was not in conformity with the ethical standard of broadcasting.
“For the avoidance of doubt, section 5.2. and 18 of the Nigeria Broadcasting Code states that while a broadcaster /producer may interact with politicians in the course of his professional duties. ‘this shall not be such as to lead to the belief that he is either a member or sympathizer of any political party,” he said.
Kawu said that NBC had written to the station and drawn its attention to the violation of the code, but that words of caution were ignored .
“When President Muhammadu Buhari went to Ekiti State, the governor actually did a broadcast telling the people not to receive the President.
“You can carry partisanship up to a point but not up to that level.
“So we are sanctioning the Ekiti State Broadcasting Service, the highest level of sanction that NBC can impose,” he said.
The DG said that the Director of Broadcast Monitoring and other personnel of the commission would be on ground to monitor the situation.
Kawu said that broadcasters were allowed to operate within the context of law in a fair and professional manner.
He explained that the commission had earlier issued written directives on how stations were to conduct themselves before, during and after elections.
“Every station is aware of the ways it must conduct itself as broadcast professionals and institutions,” he said. (NAN)
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerian Couple In Lovely Village-themed Pre-wedding Photos
- Court Revokes Uzor Kalu's Bail, Orders His Arrest
- Wike & His Wife Lay Hands On Each Other's Head During Prayer
- Ibrahim Magu Dodges Question On Ganduje Bribery Video
- Young Girl Who Lives In Lagos Trash Site Finally Gets Help
- PHOTOS: Man Stealing Female Panties Caught Red Handed
- Boss Who Killed Fuel Station Manager Over N40k Arrested
- EFCC Asked To Investigate Bribery Case Against Oshiomhole
- Pics From Actress Linda Ejiofor & Ibrahim Suleiman Wedding
- See What Buhari's Education Minister Said About ASUU When He Wasn't A Minister
- Another Nigerian Bank on brinks of collapse
- Don’t bet on Naira’s devaluation soon, says CBN
- How APC governorship candidate was arrested for corruption
- Stop playing politics with Nigeria’s budget, Olujimi tells Presidency
- DSS Cannot Demand My Resignation – Oshiomhole
- Pretty Lady Arrested After 'Good' Man Transferred N5m To Her
- Okorocha Replies Oshiomhole: You're Father Of Nepotism With Family Members In Govt.
- Boko Haram Goes Mad, Burns Down 65 Houses
- Woman Arrested After Doing This To Her Husband's Daughter
- Passengers Narrowly Escape Accident As FRSC Official Fights Driver (Photos)
- Photos From Mike Bamiloye's Son, Damilola's White Wedding
- Lagos Couple Welcome Triplets After 13 Years Of Marriage
- Oshiomhole Reacts: Why Will I Go To London To See Tinubu
- How This Beautiful Girl Was Shot Dead, Mother In Tears
- APC Guber Candidate In Imo, Hope Uzodinma Arrested
- PDP Reacts To Security Search On Atiku As He Returns Home
- Businessman Dies During S*x With Woman In Hotel... she was nabbed trying to escape
- Gov. Obaseki Supports Oshiomhole Against Fellow Governors
- Sanwo-Olu, Agbaje Laugh & Party Together In Lagos
- My Life Is Being Threatened, says New Ondo Speaker
- Lady Takes Off Clothes, Runs Mad In Lagos Due To 'High' Drink
- See What The First Made-In-Africa Smartphone Looks Like
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- FG defends action against Atiku, others
- Side chic, old lover in deathly affair in Awka hotel
- Financial services sector dominates H1 2018 on the NSE
- Dana Air flies oldest planes in Nigeria
- Atiku alleges harassment by security agents
- HSCB here to launder money, Keyamo alleges
- EFCC plots Alison-Madueke extradition to Nigeria