Mario Mandzukic struck an extra-time winner as Croatia defeated England 2-1 on Wednesday to advance to the World Cup final for the first time in the country’s history.
Kieran Trippier’s maiden international goal fired England ahead early in Moscow, but Ivan Perisic levelled in the second half before Mandzukic sent Croatia through to a showdown against France on Sunday.
With a population of just over four million, Croatia are the smallest nation to reach the final since Uruguay, the winners of the 1950 tournament.
AFP Sport looks at three things we learned from Croatia’s victory over England:
Extra time hands France further advantage
With the bonus of any extra day’s rest and Croatia having been taken to extra-time for the third time in succession, France will be far the fresher of the two sides in Sunday’s final. Following a clinical 1-0 win over Belgium in Tuesday’s semi-final, Didier Deschamps’ men have played a staggering 90 fewer minutes than their opponents in the knockout rounds. Croatia, who were beaten in extra-time by Portugal at Euro 2016, became just the second team to go to extra-time in three consecutive World Cup games. However unlike England at the 1990 tournament, it was again third time lucky thanks to Mario Mandzukic’s 109th-minute goal.
Trippier gives weight to Beckham comparison
Former Manchester City reject Kieran Trippier, who grew up idolising David Beckham, conjured up an act of brilliance reminiscent of the former England captain. Only Neymar and Kevin De Bruyne have rivalled Trippier in terms of chances created at the World Cup, and the Tottenham defender produced his champagne moment of a breakout tournament for the 27-year-old with England’s opening goal. Trippier’s curling fifth-minute free-kick was his first international goal, a prominent example of the quality of his delivery that has given rise to the “Bury Beckham” moniker, because he was born in Bury near Manchester. It was England’s first goal scored directly from a free-kick at the World Cup since Beckham’s winner against Ecuador in 2006, and the team’s 12th goal of the competition — surpassing the 11 they netted en route to lifting the trophy 1966.
Croatia’s turn to break down barriers
England coach Gareth Southgate had spoken of his young side “breaking down barriers” in Russia after their biggest World Cup win and first penalty shootout triumph, but it was Croatia who forced their way into a relatively closed shop as just the 13th different country to progress to the final in 88 years. Spain, the 2010 champions, were the last first-time finalists in what is now the 21st edition of the competition. It is an achievement all the more remarkable for a country with a population of little more than four million. Only Uruguay — who lifted the inaugural title in 1930, and again in 1950 — has a smaller population among all World Cup finalists.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- APC guber candidate in certificate scandal
- Account for money spent on military operations, SERAP tells Buratai
- My rift with Tinubu is on democratic values, says Agbaje
- Boko Haram raids another community in Borno
- Atiku blasts Buhari over absence at burial of 19 soldiers in Borno
- Christmas, New Year, political Campaigns: IGP Orders CPs, AIGs to beef-up of security
- FRSC will not tolerate unethical behavior of officers – Dr. Oyeyemi
- Supersand Eagles hold firm to World Cup ticket as Senegal rule Africa
- Edo pushes for 2nd position as Tech Director, others laud team performance —Kehinde Osagiede
- Swimmer Osayi on Federation Radar as Edo Govt promises nurturing of athlete
- EPL: Mourinho told to sell four Man United players in January
- Marcelo: Madrid Miss ‘Best in the World’ CR7
- NSF: Igali thrilled with impressive outings by states
- Groups battle Buratai on Army’s spending
- NASS staff strike may affect 2019 budget
- NAFDAC highlights plan to regulate traditional herbs
- SDP presidential candidate legal crisis escalates as court sacks Duke
- Few Tips To Moving Forward With Your Passion & Purpose
- APC Candidate In Ogun, Dapo Abiodun, In Certificate Scandal
- Why Obasanjo Turned Against Buhari After Helping Him Emerge President - Oyinlola Reveals
- Atiku To Work On Jonathan's Confab Report If Elected In 2019
- Throw Back Photo Of Osinbajo, FRSC Boss Fowler & Ade
- Pastor Kidnapped In His Church Premises Regains Freedom
- Fayose, Gov Fayemi In War Of Words Over Attack On ex-Gov.
- Charlyboy Weds Wife In Church After 40 Years, Drive In Keke
- APC To Its NASS Members: Don't Allow Electoral Bill Override
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Beautiful Pics Of Nigeria Police Couple Getting Married Today
- Road Safety State Commander Dies In Road Accident (Photos)
- OAP Toolz & Husband Tunde Demuren Welcome Baby Boy
- Tinubu Hits Saraki? Says Robbers Deny Nigeria Vibrant Senate Presidency
- Five Die In Terrible Accidents In Lagos (Photos)
- Drunk FRSC Official Bashes Man's Car In Lagos (Photos)
- National Assembly Staff Begin Strike Monday, Threaten Buhari's Budget Presentation
- Man Kidnaps Ex-Boss For Accusing Him Of Stealing, Demands N1m Ransom
- 6-Week-Old Baby Miraculously Survives Ebola
- Yahoo Boy, Banker Arrested For Defrauding Woman
- The President and His Wife
- Boko Haram: Between Buhari’s Amnesty And The Lives of Our Soldiers
- Adorable Photos Of Buhari & Wife, Aisha Melt Hearts