The family of 17-year-old Blessing Udoye has condemned the alleged wedding between her and a man they called, ‘stranger’; which was officiated by a pastor of Fishers of Men Charismatic Church, Isiokpo, Imo State.
The family alleged that the pastor ordered Blessing not to notify her family members of the wedding until after the marriage.
PUNCH Metro learnt that the wedding took place at the church’s auditorium on Sunday without any of her family members in attendance.
Blessing’s brother, Raphael Udoye, who spoke to our correspondent on the telephone, said he got information about the wedding two weeks ago through his sister’s friend, adding that he discarded it.
He added that when another friend accused him of not inviting him for Blessing’s wedding and produced the invitation card, he decided to ask his sister about it.
He said, “When I got home, I called my sister (Blessing) and asked her about the alleged wedding and she said if I wanted to know I should come to her church for details.
“I was shocked because this is the girl I paid her Senior School Certificate Examination fee.
“She did not get good grades and I am still trying to persuade her to sit for another exam when it is time or learn a trade. I did not know what she wants is to get married to a stranger.
“I called my other siblings to ask if they were aware of any wedding, but they all denied knowledge of it.
“When my father got back, I asked him and he was shocked and angry that he summoned my sister to the sitting room where he asked her about the wedding.
“She said it was her pastor that said she should not inform her family members, adding that she met the man at one their church’s retreat in Benin.”
Raphael, who claimed that investigation showed that the pastor had planned the wedding for about six months ago, said his father visited the pastor and confronted him.
He added that the pastor, who did not feel remorseful for his act, said the church had fixed the wedding date and it could not be changed.
The Imo State indigene, who noted that Blessing left home days before the wedding, said her phone number had been switched off and her whereabouts was unknown.
Raphael, who described the wedding as a taboo, said the family did not accept the husband as their in-law.
He added that the family wanted Blessing to go back to school or learn a trade.
He said, “I don’t want my sister to get married now, I want her to go back to school; she is still young.
“But if she wants to get married, her husband should come in a rightful manner and ask for her hand in marriage.”
Our correspondent picked a number on the church’s website and the person that picked up the call claimed to be an elder in the church.
He said, “We also got the information and we have sent our media team to the village and they will make a report.
“We don’t conduct a wedding without the consent of the parents. But our media team will meet with the parent of the girl, the aggrieved brother and come up with a detailed report.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- PDP chairman rates Atiku candidacy in opposition party
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Wins Osun PDP Governorship Ticket
- Dino Melaye Cries Out: "They Want To Kill Me"
- PDP Engages Top SAN To Lead Battle Against APC's Fayemi
- Good Man Drowns After Rescuing Pregnant Woman
- Buhari, Oshiomhole Upsetting R-APC Defection Plan?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports
- Woman Sets House On Fire Because She Was Not Invited To A Party
- This New Pocket-sized Drone Takes Selfie To A New Level
- Story of Nigerian Billionaire Who Owns 5 Airports In The UK
- Midnight Fire Razes Hundreds Of Shops In Jos Main Market
- Saraki Rejects Buhari's Plea? Summons Loyalist On Defection
- Nursing Mother and Her Kids Arrested After Her Husband Bought A Stolen Phone
- Gowon stirs Buhari anger as he suspects unwillingness of FG, Nigerian Army, other security agencies to curb killer herdsmen, Miyetti Allah
- Lagos gets FIBA nod as 2019 World Cup qualifiers host
- Enyimba’s July return to Aba shifted
- DIAMOND GOLDEN: Okagbare Manages 8 out of 8 spots
- NFF Dispute: In search of honour for our Otunba and Distinguished Senator
- Ronaldo ‘accepts’ two-year suspended prison sentence
- FF President appoints Obasi,Martins PS ,senior communication officer
- Buhari orders Dalung to resolve NFF crisis or resign
- I didn’t sign any petition against Warri Wolves —Etebo
- Dalung convoy involved in accident in Gombe
- 19-year-old man stabs 18-year-old girlfriend to death in Edo
- APC desperate to keep Saraki, others ahead of 2019
- Outrage Over Police Officer Who Beat Up Woman Carrying Baby
- 2019: Atiku Declares Presidential Bid, Tackles Buhari-led Govt.
- Yoruba coalition against Buhari splits as Afenifere gets rival
- How Access Bank staff stole N1.2bn from customers – Witness
- Son kills mother over N20,000 pocket money in Lagos
- Multiple Accident In Front of Uyo Stadium Caused By Phone Call
- Kidnappers Think Mikel Gives Me Millions, He Doesn't Even Call Me - Father Opens Up
- Nigerians traumatized by your poor service, Fashola tells Discos
- Melaye seeking for cheap attention, says Bello
- Nigerian Army introduces “Happy Hour” to end inter security agencies clashes
- Dino Melaye 'Planned' Burning Of Classrooms He Built - Yahaya Bello
- See What An Angry Man Did To His Brand New Range Rover Over Misunderstanding
- Businesswoman Declares For 2019 Presidency In Abuja (Photos)
- Fans Pressure Celebrities Into Living Fake Lives - Saidi Balogun