President Buhari has sympathized with the United States of America over the natural disaster which hit Houston, Texas leaving 15 people dead and 17,000 displaced.
President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday commiserated with victims of the recent Hurricane Harvey in Houston, USA.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, who issued a statement on behalf of the President and people of Nigeria specifically commensurate with Nigerians who are living over there, describing the incident as unfortunate.
The press release made available to DAILY POST Tuesday evening by Dabiri-Erewa’s Media Aide, Abdurrahman Balogun, expressed concern about the damage done to the homes of those living in that area, thus rendering thousands homeless.
The statement reads, “With over four million estimated Nigerians living in the US, statistics show that Houston hosts one of the highest community of Nigerians in that country.
“It must be noted that at the very least 80 per cent of Nigerians resident in places like Galveston, Cypress, Houston and the Bayou area have had their properties and personal belongings damaged.
“There was a case of a rescued Nigerian from Akwa Ibom state on Monday by speed boat having lost his car, home and personal belongings.
“This is to send my heartfelt concern to Nigerians living in Houston, and indeed all residents affected by Hurricane Harvey. It is really sad and disturbing”.
Dabiri-Erewa on behalf of President Buhari then called on Non- Governmental Organisations, corporate bodies as well as well-endowed individuals to join in raising funds for victims of hurricane Harvey in Houston.
“We should always be our brothers keepers and lend a helping hand as we are now one big global family”, Dabiri-Erewa pleaded.
The President in the statement, however, commended the efforts of the US government in giving succor to the victims as she prayed unto God to protect those living there.
Latest Nigeria News
- Kidnappers demand N5m ransom for Baptist pastor’s wife
- How Boko Haram killed 63 in latest attack in Borno
- NECO cancels 20,181 results over malpractice
- Court stops Multichoice from hiking subscription fees
- Tension in Abuja: U.S. Embassy reopens August 24 in Abuja
- Boko Haram: UN raises alert over fresh terrorists attack in North East, Nigeria
- Niger Tornadoes get new management vehicle
- FIFA Ban: Dalung insists rule of law must prevail
- Nigeria female handball U-18 players depart for Cote d’Ivoire
- 2018: Osogbo set for City Peace Marathon
- Saurabh Chaudhary Clinches Gold in 10m air pistol shooting
- Chelsea to offer Eden Hazard new £300,000-per-week deal
- Single digit interest rates not feasible now, says Diamond Bank
- Buhari treks 800 metres after sallah prayer
- Eid-el-Kabir: Eschew divisive tendencies, Obasa urge Nigerians
- Proposed national carrier, a waste of resources- Ezekwesili
- SERAP issues Ajimobi seven-day ultimatum to repair Ayefele’s Fresh FM building or face legal action
- Ayefele's FM: Repair It Or Ajimobi Will Face Legal Action - SERAP
- Nobody wants Nigeria suspended —Giwa
- Who is Victor Moses? — Segun Odegbami
- Ndidi signs a new six-year contract with Leicester City
- Barca director hints they haven’t given up on Pogba
- Atiku, Ben Bruce react to demolition of Yinka Ayefele’s N800m Radio House
- Acadeny for Stars expelled, fined
- How NFF escaped FIFA ban
- Army investigates female soldier for brutalizing niece
- After a year in coma, footballer wakes up
- Microsoft uncovers more hacking attempts
- Another senator docked for N245m fraud
- Ayefele’s Building Demolition: Both Sides State Their Case
- Man Stabs His 2 Younger Brothers To Death Over Their Father's Property In Delta
- Two Women Nabbed For Buying Day-old Twins For N1.8m
- Woman Gets Married For The First Time At 60 (Photo)
- SHOCKING: CBN Officer Who Belonged To "Secret Society" Dies Mysteriously In Abuja
- Thrilling Things To Do This Holiday
- Gunmen Kill Popular Catholic Priest In Abuja
- You Didn't Build A Single Company In 8 Year, I've Built 9 In 3 Years - Udom replies Akpabio
- Strange Chemical Emission Fills The Air In Anambra Community, 7 Reportedly Dead
- Tinubu Not Happy with Buhari Govt., Supporting Him for His 2023 Ambition - Saraki
- Woman Arrested In Lagos For Pouring Hot Water On Maid