President Buhari has sympathized with the United States of America over the natural disaster which hit Houston, Texas leaving 15 people dead and 17,000 displaced.
President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday commiserated with victims of the recent Hurricane Harvey in Houston, USA.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, who issued a statement on behalf of the President and people of Nigeria specifically commensurate with Nigerians who are living over there, describing the incident as unfortunate.
The press release made available to DAILY POST Tuesday evening by Dabiri-Erewa’s Media Aide, Abdurrahman Balogun, expressed concern about the damage done to the homes of those living in that area, thus rendering thousands homeless.
The statement reads, “With over four million estimated Nigerians living in the US, statistics show that Houston hosts one of the highest community of Nigerians in that country.
“It must be noted that at the very least 80 per cent of Nigerians resident in places like Galveston, Cypress, Houston and the Bayou area have had their properties and personal belongings damaged.
“There was a case of a rescued Nigerian from Akwa Ibom state on Monday by speed boat having lost his car, home and personal belongings.
“This is to send my heartfelt concern to Nigerians living in Houston, and indeed all residents affected by Hurricane Harvey. It is really sad and disturbing”.
Dabiri-Erewa on behalf of President Buhari then called on Non- Governmental Organisations, corporate bodies as well as well-endowed individuals to join in raising funds for victims of hurricane Harvey in Houston.
“We should always be our brothers keepers and lend a helping hand as we are now one big global family”, Dabiri-Erewa pleaded.
The President in the statement, however, commended the efforts of the US government in giving succor to the victims as she prayed unto God to protect those living there.
Latest Nigeria News
- NFF kicks off training for goalkeepers
- I am grateful for NFF plans to lift Women’s league – Falode
- Harry Song, friend host SWAN in unity match
- Another bloodbath in Kogi as gunmen invade communities
- Commonwealth leaders endorse Prince Charles as successor to Queen Elizabeth
- ATCON seeks Akwa-Ibom partnership on technology investment forum
- Cultists shot soldiers during mop-up operation to rid Lagos of vandals, cultists, impersonators
- Lagos unveils new 44-feet statue at Ojota to honour Gani Fawehinmi
- U.S. releases damaging human rights report on Nigeria under Buhari
- SERAP sues Ajasin Varsity, Areredolu over tuition fee hike
- Nigeria will sustain positive growth outlook – Adeosun, Emefiele
- Borno: Suicide bombers attack Mosque, kill five
- N18bn fraud: Ex-governor denies receiving EFCC invitation
- INEC speaks on PDP allegations of polling booth compromise
- Amokachi worries about Super Eagles
- Two Nigerian coaches disappeared at CWG
- Omo-Agege’s latest Twitter rants on Senate
- A tale of two realities
- Buratai’s last battle with Boko Haram
- Jacob Zuma at 76 seeks marriage with lady, 24, as seventh wife
- Teju Babyface & Wife Welcome Twins After Over 5yrs of Marriage
- PHOTOS: 2 Boko Haram Commanders & Doctor Surrender
- UN cornerned Cameroon is sending Nigerian refugees back to Boko Haram
- Winners Chapel Pastor Rescued By Nigeria Navy After Days In Kidnappers Den
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 3 Top Brands With the Most Affordable Home Appliances
- Update On Police Search For Senate Mace Thieves As Female Official Leaves Hospital
- Heartless Killings Continue: Herdsmen Kill 15 In Daring Attack
- Governor Fingered In Plot Against VP Osinbajo
- Big Woman Posing As Immigration Officer Arrested In Lagos For S*x Slavery
- Buhari, Tinubu in supremacy battle
- Nigeria is a middle-income country, Adeosun corrects IMF
- 'Yahoo Boy' Lands In EFCC Net Over Alleged $22,000 Fraud
- Evil Taking Over Good In Nigeria - Soyinka On State Of The Nation
- 30 people dead as gunmen invade Zamfara
- Ladies Trafficked From Nigerian Turned Into Slaves In Morocco, Saudi Arabia
- Nigerian Man Attempts Suicide After Being Sentenced To Death
- Confusion As Angry Patients Hold Doctor, Others 'Hostage' At Enugu Hospital
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Married Woman Brutalized By Hoodlums In Lagos Market