An HIV-positive man who might have consciously passed on the deadly virus to more than 200 sexual partners has been arrested in Italy.
A spokesman for police in Ancona, a city on Italy’s eastern Adriatic coast, told dpa on Thursday that 35-year-old Claudio Pinti had been arrested two days earlier.
Despite having been diagnosed “for at least 11 years,’’ he did not take precautions nor warn his partners about his condition, Ancona police said in a written statement.
When officers apprehended him, Pinti declared himself a “negationist’’ on the existence of HIV, police said.
The virus is known to cause AIDS.
In a press conference on Wednesday, police said Pinti was a regular user of dating websites and might have infected more than 200 people.
He was caught after one of his most recent partners checked herself into hospital after feeling ill and discovered she had contracted the virus.
Authorities urged potential victims to contact police, and in a breach of usual practice, released a picture of the suspect so people could recognise him.
The police spokesman said several calls have come in and are being verified.
“People are very reluctant to come forward because of the shame,’’ he said.
Thanks to medical advances, life expectancy for HIV and AIDS patients has greatly increased in recent years, but the disease still killed one million people in 2016, according to the World Health Organisation.
In a similar case in 2017, a Rome court sentenced a man to 24 years’ imprisonment for infecting more than 30 people with HIV, including a pregnant woman who passed on the disease to her son.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Higuain to be among Prem’s top earners
- Man City prepare bid for Rudy, West Ham to continue talks over Maxi Gomez
- Hudson-Odoi to reject £85,000 a week Chelsea deal to move to Bayern
- Barca target De Jong to decide future this week
- Mbappe, Bernardo to Madrid
- Giroud talks about Chelsea switch
- Arsenal fight Monaco over Gelson
- Puel to decide Silva switch, Godin set for inter
- N’Koudou heads to Besiktas
- Madrid eyes youngster Florin
- Obasanjo blasts Buhari again in new letter (full text)
- Jimoh ready to fight whoever says his mother burnt to death
- Tsitsipas knocks out Federer
- 25 Things Obasanjo Said About Buhari, Amina Zakari, Osinbajo
- Mourinho Has turned down three job offers already
- Manny Pacquiao sets up Mayweather rematch
- Obasanjo Hits Buhari: Nigeria Is Back To Abacha Era
- Man dies days after setting himself ablaze because of runaway wife
- Why I missed presidential debate – Buhari
- Jimoh Ibrahim’s mother burnt to death
- Experts chart focus for cyber security in 2019
- CJN Onnoghen Faces Big Challenge As FG Expands Probe
- Oshiomhole Cries Out: Retired Generals Conspiring Against Buhari
- Beautiful Pre-wedding Pics Of Nigerian Captain & Pretty Fiancée
- Senior Lawyers To Tackle FG Over Action On CJN Onnoghen
- Nigerian Lady Goes With Her Mother To Pack Husband's Property After Collapsed Marriage
- Faces Of Alleged Top Yahoo Boys Nabbed With Porsche & Other Expensive Rides
- Nigerian Man Dies In Accident, A Day To His Wife's Burial
- How Customs, Police Officers Released Truck Load of Codein After Receiving Bribe
- Atiku Get To Debate Venue, Didn't See Buhari, Then Walk Away... Challenges Mr President
- Billionaire Jimoh Ibrahim's Mother Burnt To Death In Candle Fire
- Lagos Businessman Said To Have Committed Suicide Over R*pe Saga Is In Coma?
- Buhari, APC Frustrated Over Atiku's Trip To US - Party
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Police, Army, in show of force in Lagos
- Atiku challenge Buhari to open debate
- APC, PDP two bad sides of a coin, says Durotoye
- Atiku Arrives Nigeria From US, Received By Supporters (Photos)
- FG plots CJN Onnoghen removal ahead of trial
- APC Jos campaign boils over as Buhari takes back door out