An HIV-positive man who might have consciously passed on the deadly virus to more than 200 sexual partners has been arrested in Italy.
A spokesman for police in Ancona, a city on Italy’s eastern Adriatic coast, told dpa on Thursday that 35-year-old Claudio Pinti had been arrested two days earlier.
Despite having been diagnosed “for at least 11 years,’’ he did not take precautions nor warn his partners about his condition, Ancona police said in a written statement.
When officers apprehended him, Pinti declared himself a “negationist’’ on the existence of HIV, police said.
The virus is known to cause AIDS.
In a press conference on Wednesday, police said Pinti was a regular user of dating websites and might have infected more than 200 people.
He was caught after one of his most recent partners checked herself into hospital after feeling ill and discovered she had contracted the virus.
Authorities urged potential victims to contact police, and in a breach of usual practice, released a picture of the suspect so people could recognise him.
The police spokesman said several calls have come in and are being verified.
“People are very reluctant to come forward because of the shame,’’ he said.
Thanks to medical advances, life expectancy for HIV and AIDS patients has greatly increased in recent years, but the disease still killed one million people in 2016, according to the World Health Organisation.
In a similar case in 2017, a Rome court sentenced a man to 24 years’ imprisonment for infecting more than 30 people with HIV, including a pregnant woman who passed on the disease to her son.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerian Man, Okoloko Sworn In As Judge In US (Photos)
- How APC, Presidency Dribble Shehu Sani - Senator Ben Bruce
- Woman Leading Kidnap & Robbery Gang Finally Arrested
- Atiku Agrees To Give Office Of SGF To Yorubas
- Angry DPO Brutalises Innocent Man For Causing His Transfer
- Fayose In Lagos, Ready For His Court Trial Today
- I Won't Come Back To Face Trial In Court, says Nnamdi Kanu
- Senior Female Police Officer Kidnapped In Broad Daylight?
- Aisha Buhari Stops Oshiomhole From Entering Their House?
- How God Saved A Yong Lady From Ritualists
- Peter Obi Visits Ohaneze Ndigbo President (Photos)
- Update On Pastor Whose Corpse Was Found With Friend and A Married Woman
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Ooni's New Wife Called Herself A "Queen" Over A Year Ago
- What gas flaring costs Nigeria annually- Expert
- Atiku courts Southwest with SGF slot
- How Atiku betrayed Ekweremadu, others
- Labour to embark on another nationwide strike
- Photos Of Fayose At The Airport
- Oshiomhole Cries Out: Powerful Forces Want Me Out Of APC
- "Only Buhari Can Fire Me" - Suspended NHIS Boss Insists
- Man Finds Out His Wife Got Pregnant For 4 Men; DNA Shows He's Not The Father Of Their 4 Kids
- Yahoo Boy Kills Policeman While Trying To Evade Arrest In Delta
- Ex-Chief Justice of Nigeria Idris Kutigi Dies In London Hospital
- I Will Still Contest In 2019 - Senator Shehu Sani
- Fayose Leaves EFCC Office As He Flies To Lagos
- Nigerian Man Weds Beautiful Oyinbo Woman In Style (Photos)
- Buhari Reacts To Killing Of 55 People In Kaduna Violence
- PHOTOS: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To First Child At 67
- Ambode In Trouble? Plot To Impeach Him Hots Up
- Questions Reuters, Aljazeera, the Economist, AP, others ask Lai about Atiku, PDP
- Omawumi Describes Buhari As "Incompetent Old Man"
- PDP Says Female Appeal Court President Is Close To APC
- Police Officers’ Wives Rescued From Deadly Kidnappers
- PDP Headquarters Gives Tambuwal Sokoto Guber Ticket
- Nigerian Prince Weds 2 Ladies Same Day In Delta (Photos)
- Obanikoro, 16 Others To Testify Against Fayose (DETAILS)
- Mbaka To Atiku: Don't Be Like Buhari If You Become President
- Tonto Dikeh's Sister Drinks Hypo To End Her Life?
- After working for APC; Omisore, Obanikoro, get their passports from EFCC