An HIV-positive man who might have consciously passed on the deadly virus to more than 200 sexual partners has been arrested in Italy.
A spokesman for police in Ancona, a city on Italy’s eastern Adriatic coast, told dpa on Thursday that 35-year-old Claudio Pinti had been arrested two days earlier.
Despite having been diagnosed “for at least 11 years,’’ he did not take precautions nor warn his partners about his condition, Ancona police said in a written statement.
When officers apprehended him, Pinti declared himself a “negationist’’ on the existence of HIV, police said.
The virus is known to cause AIDS.
In a press conference on Wednesday, police said Pinti was a regular user of dating websites and might have infected more than 200 people.
He was caught after one of his most recent partners checked herself into hospital after feeling ill and discovered she had contracted the virus.
Authorities urged potential victims to contact police, and in a breach of usual practice, released a picture of the suspect so people could recognise him.
The police spokesman said several calls have come in and are being verified.
“People are very reluctant to come forward because of the shame,’’ he said.
Thanks to medical advances, life expectancy for HIV and AIDS patients has greatly increased in recent years, but the disease still killed one million people in 2016, according to the World Health Organisation.
In a similar case in 2017, a Rome court sentenced a man to 24 years’ imprisonment for infecting more than 30 people with HIV, including a pregnant woman who passed on the disease to her son.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Six Things Your Skin Is Telling You About Your Diet
- Man Who Tried To Rescue Kids From Being Beaten, Injured By Their Mother
- Yinka Ayefele’s Fresh FM To Be Demolished By Oyo Government
- Akwa Ibom Governor Reacts To Alleged Plan To Join APC
- Buhari Is Sick, Cabal Now Running His Government – Tambuwal
- Saraki Steps Up, To Contest For President In 2019
- Fire Razes Shops, Burns Goods Worth Millions In Lagos
- PDP Senators Sleeping At NASS To Stop Saraki’s Removal
- 4 University Students Die After Fatal Accident Inside The Campus
- Arewa Youths Back Saraki, Caution Oshiomhole On Utterances
- 2019: Photos From Dankwambo's Visit To Obasanjo
- Quitting Super Eagles: Uncovering why Victor Moses takes a bow, premature departure
- Breaking: Victor Moses retires
- Kante: ‘World Cup achievements, beyond my dreams’
- Saraki considers running against Buhari in 2019
- Arthur, the new Barcelona’s Xavi Hernandez
- Ramos mocks Jurgen Klopp’s record in cup finals
- Eden Hazard verus Mesut Ozil ahead of EPL clash
- Guendouzi: Arsenal can win EPL title
- Give us courts to develop beach soccer— Nimrod begs el-Rufai
- Osinbajo to meet NFF President over crisis
- 018 NYG: Team Oyo picks 4 slots at S/west zonal eliminations
- INEC Chairman Presents 2019 INEC Budget To Senate (Photos)
- Landlord Who Led Armed Robbers To Rob Neighbour Arrested
- INEC to feed police with N6bn in 2019 polls
- Experts worry over rising cyber security poverty line in Nigeria
- Driver crushes LASTMA officer
- GTBank to increase loan book by 10%
- Zinedine Zidane is replacing one of the Manchester Clubs
- Student Who Scored 364 In JAMB Receives N5m Cash (Photo)
- Presidency Speaks On Buhari Extending 10-day London Vacation
- SARS Caught "Extorting Passengers" Despite Osinbajo's Order
- Female Corper Knocked Down By Reckless Driver In Lagos
- Story Of Abuja Wild Forest Where "All Kinds Of Things" Happen
- Oil prices down by 13% over growing US crude inventories
- MTN secures N200bn loan from Diamond bank, 11 others
- Pastor's Wife Attacked For Brutalizing Her Little Maid (Maid)
- Kemi Adeosun's Certificate: SERAP Drags NYSC Boss To Court
- Fraudster Impersonating Nollywood Actor To Defraud People Arrested In Lagos